April 24, 200818 yr Author comment_241576 Cheers Matty, Was hoping to catch up with you at the Rollaclub Dinner at Hogs Breath last weekend... Brake wise I think I will stay away from the Hoppers Kit at first - am going to go with KE70 front discs/calipers and a VH44 remote booster and recon'd master cylinder This means Ill have a later model toyota 4 stud pattern up front, and Ill also get the rear axles redrilled or get some KE70 axles shortened. Diff is staying standard at the moment, not planning on any hard launches or burnouts at first. I'm investigating all the RWD cooling gear at the moment, as we were talking about the other day - plus have surge tank, pumps and adjustable cam gears in the post. I may be hitting you up pretty soon for the lend of an engine crane. What beer do you prefer? Dave Report
April 24, 200818 yr comment_241584 Cheers Matty, Was hoping to catch up with you at the Rollaclub Dinner at Hogs Breath last weekend... Brake wise I think I will stay away from the Hoppers Kit at first - am going to go with KE70 front discs/calipers and a VH44 remote booster and recon'd master cylinder This means Ill have a later model toyota 4 stud pattern up front, and Ill also get the rear axles redrilled or get some KE70 axles shortened. Diff is staying standard at the moment, not planning on any hard launches or burnouts at first. I'm investigating all the RWD cooling gear at the moment, as we were talking about the other day - plus have surge tank, pumps and adjustable cam gears in the post. I may be hitting you up pretty soon for the lend of an engine crane. What beer do you prefer? Dave Well the beer should go to Beerhead, as its his crane. lol. But yeah, its all good. I think the brakes on my AE71 were clearly inadequate for stopping the 4age AE71. Possibly should go to AE86 struts, or something which lets you have a bit of a brake upgrade. Better shock choice etc. Just a strut from a Toyota which has the same stud pattern, a larger od, and bigger rotors standard. I guess a ke10 is such a light thing though and the ke70 stuff will be pretty adequate for it. Whatever you do, hold on to the original stuff too as it comes out of the car. For some nice headers go and see Peter Herrimann at Swift Race Engines. He can design some which actually add hp and fit in the bay. He also does ceramic on them for you. Had to work a full 12 hour day on Sunday so I avoided the dinner. Sorry everyone. Report
April 24, 200818 yr Author comment_241590 Well the beer should go to Beerhead, as its his crane. lol. But yeah, its all good. I think the brakes on my AE71 were clearly inadequate for stopping the 4age AE71. Possibly should go to AE86 struts, or something which lets you have a bit of a brake upgrade. Better shock choice etc. Just a strut from a Toyota which has the same stud pattern, a larger od, and bigger rotors standard. I guess a ke10 is such a light thing though and the ke70 stuff will be pretty adequate for it. Whatever you do, hold on to the original stuff too as it comes out of the car. For some nice headers go and see Peter Herrimann at Swift Race Engines. He can design some which actually add hp and fit in the bay. He also does ceramic on them for you. Had to work a full 12 hour day on Sunday so I avoided the dinner. Sorry everyone. Ahh well, I'll let you guys work it out..! I am going to try the KE70 rotors and calipers first (because I have a set at home..) and then see if I need to go up from there. I obviously want it to stop as well as it can, so this may require future work. Ill definitely keep all the original gear in case I ever need to go back, but I will get rid of the 5K and 5 speed box cause I don't have the room for them. I am renting a garage space but it underneath a house near where I live in Paddington, so I have to keep it all nice and neat while I am working. Not sure how its going to go. I sure as hell don't want to get half way through the conversion and then have to find a new place to work on the car... Ill be calling Peter Herrimann for sure, and the coating seems like the way to go - a few others have also recommended ceramic for the headers. Report
April 24, 200818 yr comment_241658 If you run KE70 brakes on the front of a KE1X use original hub and keep the original stud pattern :yes: Report
May 3, 200818 yr comment_243783 Great inspiration! Good to see some one getting it done. Are the gauges in the Car Standard or some sort of after market? thanks, simon Report
May 4, 200818 yr comment_243875 It is always fun working on upgrading the brakes. It will be interesting to see what you figure out. I just put the celica RA65 struts into my car and they have worked awesome so far. Not sure on what conversions can be done with the early KE's. Report
May 5, 200818 yr comment_244201 Ahh well, I'll let you guys work it out..! I am going to try the KE70 rotors and calipers first (because I have a set at home..) and then see if I need to go up from there. I obviously want it to stop as well as it can, so this may require future work. Ill definitely keep all the original gear in case I ever need to go back, but I will get rid of the 5K and 5 speed box cause I don't have the room for them. I am renting a garage space but it underneath a house near where I live in Paddington, so I have to keep it all nice and neat while I am working. Not sure how its going to go. I sure as hell don't want to get half way through the conversion and then have to find a new place to work on the car... Ill be calling Peter Herrimann for sure, and the coating seems like the way to go - a few others have also recommended ceramic for the headers. Have you looked into mx62 cressida struts? much larger brakes than stock... a mate had em on his ke55 coupe and by god could he pull that car up hard! i've got some they aren't in the car yet currently working on them but i believe it only requires minor mods to your ball joints. you have to run 14" min i believe! Edited May 5, 200818 yr by blackrolla80 Report
May 7, 200818 yr Author comment_244817 Thanks for the feedback guys.. Simon- the gauges are VDO cockpit gauges, should be available from any decent performance shop. In regard to front calipers and struts, I am going to go with the KE70 rotors and calipers, and upgrade to slotted rotors. I'm going to use the later model stud pattern as it will open up the range of wheels that I can put on the car. I want more rubber on the road and want bigger wheels if I want bigger brakes later on. For starters I am leaving the struts and suspension standard - this is one area I don't have a great deal of experience with (well, along with the rest of the conversion haha) I have started stripping the engine bay in preparation to pull the engine out next weekend. Also started stripping the interior out so all the nice upholstery doesn't get munted by the cutting and welding that will be going on. I also got happy and made a new parcel shelf/rear speaker setup for the KE55 daily that I am driving while the KE10 is off the road. Trying not to spend too much time on this car, but can't help it...ha More pics on the way of new goodies arriving each week. Fidanza Adjustable cam gears and full Toyota Genuine RWD cooling setup have arrived. Will post pics when its all hooked up. Also designing a sweet surge tank/fuel pump housing setup from aluminium at the moment. Looking at getting a dry cell battery to put inside the cabin under the seat - does anyone know a good place to order an Odyssey Gel battery? Edited February 24, 201016 yr by Davros El Davros Report
May 9, 200818 yr comment_245241 Those door trims are the go! they must be custom. Where did you get the steering wheel boss kit from? I think we're all waiting patiently for the finishing touches of this project. I sure am. For starters I am leaving the struts and suspension standard I'm going to upgrade my brakes and suspension first. I'm sick of front drum brake performance and body roll. But my car is still on the road. Report
May 15, 200818 yr Author comment_246783 Yeah bro, whole interior is custom upholstery including seats, roof lining, door trims, carpet and boot... was all done by the previous owner(s) of the car. Not sure where the steering wheel boss kit came from - it was in the car when I bought it. It has a Momo wheel - not sure of exact model name. Suspension wise I am going to put stiffer struts all round and get the rear leaves re-set at a spring place just down the road from where I work. Have been making some good progress on the engine - its starting to look pretty tidy. More pics up over the weekend. Report
May 16, 200818 yr comment_246786 Your interior is awesome, Davros. Very tasteful selection of colours and I love the 'C'. Report
May 16, 200818 yr comment_246894 How do you think you'll go for clearance in the g-box tunnel with the t50? I'm interested to know. Report
June 29, 200818 yr comment_257144 Hello Davros, what an awesome write up! Maybe I'll follow your foot step when I start my Ke15. By the way, most of our AE86 owners inlcuding myself are using brake callipars from Honda EG/EK, and vent disc from BMW E30. Both of them are easy to come by and cheap in Hong Kong. Not sure if this is the case where you are located. Those callipars shall fit nicely without mod, discs from BMW have to be drill. So far I'm pretty happy with the performance, and 14" rims can be fit without any trouble. Anyway, keep up the good work. Cheers, Stan Report
June 30, 200818 yr comment_257260 Those door trims are the go! they must be custom. Where did you get the steering wheel boss kit from? I think we're all waiting patiently for the finishing touches of this project. I sure am. If anyone's after a ke10 boss kit you can go to trademe the newzealand version of ebay and get on for about 80 kiwi bucks plus postage. I've got one from this guy here and it's sweet as. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-163156508.htm Report
October 16, 200817 yr Author comment_282039 An Update. Finally. Ok, it's been way too long since I have updated anything on this thread, but that doesn't mean nothing has been happening with the car. I have been working like a fiend, now freelancing after the job I moved to Brisbane to work at ended in June. So after spending insane stints in front of the computer, I don't exactly feel like spending another few hours updating the car thread. Which is a shame.! I have actually finally launched a portfolio site, so if any one wants to check it, click here So, in the last few months, the bulk of my spare time has been spent with the buffing wheel, respirator and a damn dusty garage. As you can see below I have got super happy and basically polished everything that is alloy on the engine, or is able to retain shine without rusting. I originally started by taking the cam covers, dizzy and water outlets to a polishing place, but I wasn't happy with the results, so I decided to do the rest myself. Started with the RWD water outlet, then moved on to the water pump, then shaving the lettering from the cam covers, then completely sanding back the intake plenum until it was smooth and buffing that. I also have replaced almost every visible, non high tensile bolt with stainless steel bolts, which have the heads shaved, sanded and buffed to a mirror finish. Alternator was pulled apart and polished, and custom overdrive alternator, underdrive water pump and single row crank pulley were added, thanks to Techno Toy Tuning. I have fidanza adjustable cam gears, and a custom polished alloy plate made up to cover the hole in the cam gear backing plate from the FWD engine. Have also finished the setup of the genuine RWD water gear/cooling setup, but pics will follow in the next post. I'm mad happy with the progress on the engine, considering the way that it started out. I have taken the liberty to post some more shots of the engine when I picked it up, just to remind myself that progress, however slow, is happening. Can't wait to see it in the engine bay. Edited February 24, 201016 yr by Davros El Davros Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now