Davros' Ke10 4age Project

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

03 - Sourcing The Engine

So, after deciding that the 4AGE is what I wanted, I started looking at how to get my hands on one.

Figured that it would almost be a freak occurance to stumble across one at a wrecking yard, but I tried calling a few anyway.

I also did a lot of trawling about on forums and for sale threads and found out that these things are not that hard to get after all - you just have to do you research and also be a bit patient.

I was thinking of throwing a 20v in there as mentioned before, and saw a few tempting deals going (like this one that is for sale at the moment... http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=13185)

but it looked like the conversion would be a bit too tricky, so I decided to stick to a 16v - an already familiar conversion without too much hassle...

So I did a bit of ringing around and spoke to a few engine importers and started comparing prices on the 100kw 16v 4AGE, and found that Ichiban was the best out of the places I dealt with.

I was damn lucky that they happened to have a tidy 4AGE in stock on the shelf which was exactly what I was after, so after handing over my hard earned $1395 I walked out of there with the following:

100kw 16v 4AGE from an AE92, with approx 76 000km

1 1/2 wiring looms (butchered loom attached to engine, plus uncut wiring loom)

ECU

Map Sensor

Coil

4age_pickup_02.jpg4age_pickup_03.jpg4age_pickup_04.jpg4age_pickup_01.jpg

The engine was really clean when we picked it up - they had given it a pretty good blasting with degreaser, and apart from a few bumps and scratches it was in pretty good order.

It also has been compression tested and has a 3 month warranty, so the race is on to get it in and started before this runs out (don't really like my chances here.....)

Edited by Davros El Davros

Yeah bro, am right in the middle of this at the moment.

I am doing it in a bit of a different way to other examples that I have seen though.

A whole lot more work, but something I wanted to try out.

I got some progress flicks that I'll post up soon.

Oh yeah, also got the RWD flywheel and clutch in the post today. Got my hands on a lightened 20v flywheel.....Thanks beerhead - you are ruling!

Hey fellas - ok the smallport (as well as the ECU, loom and map sensor) came from the nice guys at Ichiban Imports in Moorebank, Sydney.

I was lucky to find that they had one in stock with low mileage and in great condition.

Of course I have already started going nuts and cleaning the whole thing up, painting the block and

polishing every alloy piece I can get my hands on. (Pics = soon)

Beerhead - yeah the loom is fully complete and in good nick. I think I may be sending it your way though, as well as the ECU, and get you to chop out all of the extra stuff that I wont need (if this is still a service that you are doing...)

Thanks for the heads up with the mounts, but already have some sitting in my garage - thanks to Jordan!

They came from an unfinished 4AGE/KE10 conversion in South Australia. They look really solid, and I also got my hands on the custom gearbox crossmember as well.

Waiting for the gearbox to come in this week or next week, then I mostly got everything I need.

COOLING SYSTEM:

I am wondering if my recently triple-cored and recon'd KE10 radiator will be fine to handle the cooling - it's in great condition and has a thermo fan. Just need to get the bottom outlet switched to the driver's side.

Anyone got any suggestions on the radiator setup? I heard that Excel radiators work fine, but would like to stick with mine if it will do the job....

I got an external thermostat and all, so I know how to plumb all that up..just wondering about the radiator (oh, and about a million other things...!)

03 - Cleaning Up the Engine: So, I have got a bit further on the engine - after getting it in the garage and staring at it for about an hour, I started to clean the whole lot up.

This started by getting my digital camera and taking as many reference shots of how things were connected as I thought I needed - I don't want to get everything apart and not be able to put it all back together again! :P

I also grabbed some masking tape and a marker pen and labelled the whole wiring loom before pulling eveything off.

I then proceeded to pull most of the peripherals off the engine - intake plenum, alternator, dizzy, water cooling system, cam covers etc, and giving the engine a good going over with a brass brush on a power drill, and then hitting it with degreaser. Basically getting the block ready for painting, and at the same time starting to polish up the alloy bits to make em nice and shiny....I am going to try and get the cam covers to a mirror finish if I can.

4AGE_Cleanup_01.jpg4AGE_Cleanup_02.jpg4AGE_Cleanup_04.jpg4AGE_Cleanup_05.jpg

Have also started sourcing some of the other parts that I will need for the conversion:

Starter Motor and Bellhousing from Briz Vegas - thanks Gilly!

Clutch, machined flywheel, 86KW 4AGE rear water outlet and external thermostat from an AE82 4A-C also comin' straight outta Briz Vegas - thanks Beerhead

Engine mounts and gearbox mount have arrived from South Australia- thanks Jordan

T-50 gearbox is on its way from Tassie as soon as I can get the goddam courier organised....thanks Eason for your patience.

22 spline output shaft is sourced and will be picked up tomorrow morning...keeping this one a secret until I got it in my hands.

Hydraulic clutch gear is coming from Brakewest in Victoria - if anyone needs any brake/clutch advice, give Goran a ring at Brakewest - the dude is a legend....

Front rotors and calipers from a KE30 are sitting in my garage at my parent's place, as well as a VH44 remote booster that I am going to steal from my mum's old valiant.

Other parts have to be ordered from Sean the walking car encyclopedia at Autobarn in Nowra - high PSI fuel lines, pumps and surge tank, clutch throwout bearing, new dizzy cap and leads and a few others.

Have also started in the manifold cut and shut, which is looking pretty darn good, so Ill post up some flicks real soon for that.

• 1 month later...

This is excellent and I am really in suspense every sentence that I read. It is great to see that you have time to do the conversion aswell as post up such awesome help like this.

I have been working on my 16V 4AGE conversion in a KE55 for a couple of months now but I am using very different parts for the conversion such as a different diff, completely different struts and so on. There is plenty that I want to share with everyone but I want to get some pictures first.

But thanks again for this great info. Can't wait to here more about it.

Hey Guys, thanks for the kick up the ass - been super busy the last few weeks and haven't been online much - working as a graphic designer and staring at a computer screen all day def kills the desire to come home and do the same thing.....

So, in regard to updates things have been moving along pretty well.

Gearbox has been sourced and is sitting at in the shed all ready to bolt up, plus have all of the high tensile bolts ready to go. Gave the box a damn good clean, so it basically looks good enough to eat off at the moment.

Clutch slave has been purchased as well as the bundy tube to bend up the line, have fitted the hydraulic clutch master cylinder and am in the process of modifying the clutch pedal to push the master cylinder piston in - this is going to be surprisingly simple, and will be documented with pics..

4AGE RWD backing plate and gearbox stays have been sourced.

22 spline tailshaft has turned up from Perth - thanks Chris for your help there.

Manifold cut and shut is complete. Looks super fresh as well - pics coming soon.

Oil seals have been relaced on the engine - cam seals and front and rear seals, as well as the water pump and timing belt and oil filter.

Am in the process of working out what to do with the brakes. Looking at a few options which I will investigate and document as I work them out....

My engineer here reckons he wants a tandem master cylinder, and vented rotors on the front. I was just planning to put the KE30 rotors and calipers on, then a remote booster. Will have to reconsider, or go and see a different engineer!

Looking at a few upgrade kits out there - figured it is a smart idea to make the car stop as well as it will go!

If anyone has any suggestions or advice for the brakes that would be killer.!

For the brakes, i have this set up in mind:

> JDM AE86 vented front rotors (RDA can supply them, cheapest i've seen is $170 a pair delivered)

> 83-85 Honda Prelude calipers (Have the correct spacings, clearance etc will require very minor modifications)

> KE3#/5# caliper backing plates with minor modification

> Using KE20 struts/hubs etc.

I theory it should work, haven't put them all together yet so i can't confirm it yet.

Will have to run 13's as a minimum.

Engineers generally look for brake upgrade the same or better than the car the engine came out of, so in this instance the JDM AE86 has the same 4AGE engine.

I'm also currently looking into adding a brake booster (something besides a VH44 etc)

mate, what brake master cylinder are you using? i assume you've measured it up with the engine in the bay - there certainly isn't much room behind the inlet manifold in my ke20. i have the same motor as you with a cut n' shut manifold.

i have an rx7 dual circuit master cylinder, only the fronts (ke55 solid discs) have the booster (vh44) and my engineer was amazed at how well it stopped.

Hi,

With your brakes try going KE70 brakes. I am putting them on my KE15 and there the same diameter as KE30 brakes but thicker so less fade id recommend that option as also you get girlock calipers then and pads are cheaper.

Also I believe you can get slotted rotors for a KE70 I know guy with them on his KE20 so maybe if you get KE70 caliper same as AE71 calipers then just buy KE70 slotted rotors will keep the engineer happy.

Cheers

Cameron