Davros' Ke10 4age Project

i have girlock calipers on mine, did 55's come with these too or did the 55 i pulled them from at pick n payless have ke70 ones?

KE3#/5# apparently did have both jap or local girlock brakes, KE70/71 had the girlocks only.

The girlock braked discs are slightly thicker than the jap ones (12.7mm vs 10mm)

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys - thanks for the feedback regarding the brakes...seems to be the only things I haven't got sussed out as yet.

I don't have the engine in the engine bay just yet - am about to go away for 6 weeks, so Ill start putting it in as soon as I get back.

Was planning on measuring the clearance as soon as I get back and then trying to find a master cylinder that fits best. I had heard that RX 7 masters can be used and are relatively compact. I am not sure exactly how much clearance I will have until the engine is in the engine bay.

In regard to using something like KE70 brakes and calipers, are they vented as well? If I want to get vented and slotted rotors, do I need to upgrade calipers too?

I have been wondering how far to go with the brakes - if I should hunt around and find something that I can put in there (such as KE30/55/70) stuff with different calipers, or just go for a full upgrade kit such as one from Hoppers Stoppers for early corollas (Click here - then click the toyota link in LHS list) or these ones available in Western Sydney (click). I have spoken to this guy on the phone, and he is super helpful and basically all you do is send him your struts and your cash and he does the rest. It costs a bit, but I am thinking it is worth going overboard on the brakes... opinions sought on this!

There are no vented RWD corolla discs available that i have seen. The closest are the JDM AE86 discs.

They are available through RDA plain or slotted, the slotted are available for $200 plus delivery.

There may be other bolt on disc upgrades but would require 14's to fit which i'm not keen on for a KE10. It depends on what size wheels you want.

I know there is bugger all clearance behind the inlet mani, one of my options is to go custom inlet to create a bit more room, but i will find that out when i put the engine in.

• 2 weeks later...
There are no vented RWD corolla discs available that i have seen. The closest are the JDM AE86 discs.

When considering vented rear rotors remember to consider the extra unsprung weight this will bring to the handling factor.

If you look at the ford falcons previous to ea they had a vented rear rotor, after ea they went solid, and they had more weight to pull up. :no: keep this in mind

When considering vented rear rotors remember to consider the extra unsprung weight this will bring to the handling factor.

If you look at the ford falcons previous to ea they had a vented rear rotor, after ea they went solid, and they had more weight to pull up. :no: keep this in mind

I should have phrased it properly by saying there are no RWD corollas that i know of that have FRONT vented discs (or rear discs), the JDM AE86 have vented front and solid rears.

Rear discs would not be required for such a lightweight car.

Hey guys - thanks for the feedback regarding the brakes...seems to be the only things I haven't got sussed out as yet.

I don't have the engine in the engine bay just yet - am about to go away for 6 weeks, so Ill start putting it in as soon as I get back.

Was planning on measuring the clearance as soon as I get back and then trying to find a master cylinder that fits best. I had heard that RX 7 masters can be used and are relatively compact. I am not sure exactly how much clearance I will have until the engine is in the engine bay.

In regard to using something like KE70 brakes and calipers, are they vented as well? If I want to get vented and slotted rotors, do I need to upgrade calipers too?

I have been wondering how far to go with the brakes - if I should hunt around and find something that I can put in there (such as KE30/55/70) stuff with different calipers, or just go for a full upgrade kit such as one from Hoppers Stoppers for early corollas (Click here - then click the toyota link in LHS list) or these ones available in Western Sydney (click). I have spoken to this guy on the phone, and he is super helpful and basically all you do is send him your struts and your cash and he does the rest. It costs a bit, but I am thinking it is worth going overboard on the brakes... opinions sought on this!

Hey dud sweet ride. I recently bought the hoppers stoppers kit for my ke20 which is powered by a CA18DET. The kit is a sweet piece of gear very proffessional and well engineered from the right material. i'm a machinist and i know the the time and effort that they must have gone to do design thte kit. all brackets are laser cut and the hubs have been done on a CNC lathe so they should be well within tolerance. . i'm rebuilding the front suspension atm and have dummy fitted one side. seems to fit nicely. as far as braking power goes 285 slotted vented discs with twin piston calipers..... what more do you need on 900kg car. on the downside you do need 15inch rims. keep up the good work.

Edited by YKE 20T

• 3 months later...

Well, it may appear that this thread had been forgotten, but its back baby!

In the last few months I have been on a 5 week trip around Australia with my folks in a 82 Jeep Cheokee (will post a few pics from the transport museum in Alice Springs..), and then back home for a week then working up in Briz Vegas. Finally made the move up here over the weekend, so now I am settled it's time to get back to the car.

Where I left off we were discussing the brakes and what setups to run. I have decided that I am going to run with the Hoppers Stoppers kit - YKE 20T thanks for the feedback. I have only heard good things about Hoppers Stoppers gear so this just confirms it. It's a bit of an expense, but well worth it in my eyes.

This kit requires 15 inch wheels, but I have been planning to upgrade to bigger wheels anyway, and try and get a bit more rubber on the ground. Does anyone know the rules in QLD regarding increasing wheel size? Ill hunt them up somewhere and make sure they are by the book.

Now living in Brisbane I will need to find a place to do the custom extractors and exhaust, the tailshaft mods and a few other things. If anyone has any suggestions please fire away.

Ill post some more pics real soon showing some of the latest work - completing the cut and shut and getting the hydraulic clutch sorted out.

Well, it may appear that this thread had been forgotten, but its back baby!

In the last few months I have been on a 5 week trip around Australia with my folks in a 82 Jeep Cheokee (will post a few pics from the transport museum in Alice Springs..), and then back home for a week then working up in Briz Vegas. Finally made the move up here over the weekend, so now I am settled it's time to get back to the car.

Where I left off we were discussing the brakes and what setups to run. I have decided that I am going to run with the Hoppers Stoppers kit - YKE 20T thanks for the feedback. I have only heard good things about Hoppers Stoppers gear so this just confirms it. It's a bit of an expense, but well worth it in my eyes.

This kit requires 15 inch wheels, but I have been planning to upgrade to bigger wheels anyway, and try and get a bit more rubber on the ground. Does anyone know the rules in QLD regarding increasing wheel size? Ill hunt them up somewhere and make sure they are by the book.

Now living in Brisbane I will need to find a place to do the custom extractors and exhaust, the tailshaft mods and a few other things. If anyone has any suggestions please fire away.

Ill post some more pics real soon showing some of the latest work - completing the cut and shut and getting the hydraulic clutch sorted out.

For the tail shaft i would recommend Driveline service's at Archerfield but take the car to them, Don't give them a measurement as they will f@$k it up, Take the car to them and let them do their thing.

For the exhaust i would recommend Beaudesert exhausts very highly, Little expensive but their work is superb. They are located in Beaudesert across the rd from Dunlop tires.

Edited by AE70

I have had my my 17s with 205/40 tyres given the nod on my ke30, while trying to defect the crap out of my car they spent ages looking through a very thick book which had every car listed, and that book stated that my tyre size is the max legal size.

Wheels can only go up 2" more than standard from memory..

ie. ke70 came out with 13" stock, can legally go to 15"..

i believe this is in the australian adrs, luckily it appears that in queensland they go off rolling diameter as in qld adrs,

no larger then a 1" increase in total rolling diameter.

Your front suspension also looks pretty tough. Should handle nicely. I would like to upgrade the front struts in the KE10 once the engine conversion is done, but

not sure if I want to mess around with it that much. I don't know too much about what options there are, but it seems like a lot of messing around...

Edited by Davros El Davros