What Grinds My Gears.

Members dont see this ad

"for sale, ke70, registered for 6months, RWC included, lowered springs, $3800".......

are people buying these?!

Blooming hope so, cause i'm looking at getting a c-dan with a roady and 6 months rego for about a grand

And with how the prices are going, i could just give it a buff, a wax, vacuum the interior, throw some pretty mags on it and sell it off for about 5-6 grand

:D

I dunno if this is a grinds my gears, i guess it is.

What is going on with the price of ke70s?

are people actually paying these absoluately rediculous prices?

I have been looking around for another ke70 sort of, got a bit of an engine in the build and looking for something to put it in.

but at these prices, i am better off looking at something rarer and alot cooler. get better value than a busted up ke70.

mazda 929 (RX4 style) or even an old datsun or something.

Sorry if this offends anyone on here, but IMO KE70s have become the official car of the douchebag. And to me this explains why people are asking so much for them, because douchebags think they are a cool car and thus other douchebags are prepared to pay a lot more money to get amongst the KE70 douchebaggery.

I'm almost embarrassed to say I own a KE70 sometimes. I blame boostcruising, boostcruising has ruined the KE70.

I agree with you Dave, for prices > $2000, I'd rather buy a different car.

Edited by rian
  • Upvote 1

Not offending me, Rian. It's a KE70, I don't give a shit lol. I LOVE my KE70 but i know it's a heapa and always will be no matter how good it is mechanically.

Same douchebaggery applies to S13's and well..pretty much all Nissans. Biggest wank out there. Same with Supras.

I love Corollas and I love cars in general but I hate the wank factor about alot of them.

I'm not embarrassed to say I own a KE70, I pretty much laugh whenever I tell someone that I do. I rep it being a POS.

Ohhh i think your just looking in the wrong places ke70dave, picked up my old ae71 for $100 and drove it home, bit of rust nothing major, swapped some stock t18 struts for my clean as stock ke70 without motor and box, easy sorted that though. Then the new ae71 i picked up last week, I'm not willing to say here but it was under a grand just needs a quick tidy up.

^ That should be what they're worth, theres just too many people after a cheap shitty daily these days or trying to find ae71 conversion bits

Edited by BlueKsev

The hektik 'JDM' drift scene has ruined KE70's.

I swear if I get one more flat brimmed hat, fluro boardies, white sunglasses wearing motherf**ker come up to me and start talking to me about drifting and skids I'm gonna punch them in the face. And then the look of derision on their face when you tell them your building it for grip and would rather go around a corner properly...

hence me leaning towards getting rid of mine for a KE20. I fn love KE70's but I'm over it a bit.

I swear if I get one more flat brimmed hat, fluro boardies, white sunglasses wearing motherf**ker come up to me and start talking to me about drifting and skids I'm gonna punch them in the face. And then the look of derision on their face when you tell them your building it for grip and would rather go around a corner properly...

hence me leaning towards getting rid of mine for a KE20. I fn love KE70's but I'm over it a bit.

Dude, the amount of people that told me to "rip a skid" in my S13 was ridiculous.

I love watching professional and amateur drifting but it's not the only thing you can/want to do in a car.

Agreed - I find xE70s to be boring, bland and tacky tissue-boxes on wheels - they are a car which is popular almost entirely by association (and by replacement, due to Takumi tax) to the AE86. They are smack bang between the classic coke-bottle styling of the KE30/55 and the wedgy brick rollerskate that is the AE82, without the style of the first or the substance of the second.

And then the look of derision on their face when you tell them your building it for grip and would rather go around a corner properly...

If it wasn't for the drift scene then the word "grip" wouldn't need to exist to differentiate. Personally I hate the word, why not just say "it's a track car" or "I want it to handle well", there's no need for there to be some "cool" term for it (same thing with any word followed by "flush" or "stance"). I've actually had someone ask me if I was going to drift the Soarer and I told them no, so they said "oh so you're buiding it for grip then" - why does it have to be so black-and-white? It's not being "built" for anything except being a nice comfy powerful daily with the ability to have fun on backroads and embarrass the odd V8 'dore and Falcon at the lights.

Annoyingly, of all the options i have considered for a full blown track car, the ke70 or ae86 still wins in terms of modernish, cheapish and ease of modification. unfortunately it looks like a shoe box. a cool shoe box, but certainly not the nice curves of other late 70's early 80s cars.

the big calling cards (appart from RWD), i feel, of the ke70 is the 5 link rear end, and rack and pinion steering.

start looking pre ~1984ish, RWD and reasonably popular for ease of parts and panels, you can't escape leaf springs and steering box's unless you go the ke70.

sure the leaf springs and steering box can be made to work, but i would prefer to at least get rack and pinion. though to be honest my only experience with steering box was driving a worn out S2 RX7, and the +/- 45deg in the steering wheel did not inspire confidence.

i have been eyeing off the 929 4 doors, and ive even seen a few import 929 2 doors for sale, which are the piston version of an RX4. steering box and leaf spring asside, geez they can look cool.

too bad the rotary/mazda scene is as bad as the 86 scene when it comes to obscene prices for oem parts.

open too suggestions. perhaps i have missed something.

I like my KE70 because it's fun to drive and because it's a beat up rustbox. Doesn't need to have the styling and bodywork that some people desire from a car for it to be fun.

I like the whole ʞ©$ɟed up old car thing.

"Stance" and "flush" etc can piss right off, my MA's covered in brake dust and grime does me just fine :)