Carbon Fiber Flat Sheets

wilson_610

hi all,

i have strayed away from putting my 20v into my current race car, being the Te30 2 door.

And decided that due to the avalibility of panels for the 2 door are getting harder to find CHEAPLY the 20v would look more at home in an ae71...

Thus having already put alloy door cards into the te30 i have decided to go to carbon fibre... coming to my next problem nowon here sells the blooys stuff.

So was wonderin if anyone would know where i could get some from... (without making it my self)

Members dont see this ad

heheh you all need to work with planes :locked:

I have seen our composite work shop throws out up to 1m square at times if it is missing say ARM number or something so we can't track its history and we are CAR30 approved for those in the know and so we can't use it....lol So mm look around aviation work shops if you talk to the right guys you will get some but if not getting it will be hard.

My option get the fiber glass and carbon fiber woven material. Cheaper for you just as good and would be easier to get. Also there are different grades of carbon fiber cloth also. So pending strength required you need the right grade etc. This will also affect cost.

And what resin do you intend on using to mix it all up?

Cheers

Cameron

Ask around some boat builders too. A lot of boat builders (particuarly those big expensive sydney to hobart types) contain a lot of carbon and building for those can create offcuts that may be suitable for small automotive uses. Probably not bonnets and the big stuff but smaller itemsyou might get lucky with. :locked:

• 1 month later...
I came across this ad on Ausrotary and thought of this thread. Considering some people showed interest, heres the link.

Carbon Fibre

Yeah I'll give this guy a plug, His names Alexis bought a set of wheels off him a couple of years ago, nice guy and good to deal with. Was gunna recomend him myself befor I saw kangaroosa had already done it. :)

Yeah I'll give this guy a plug, His names Alexis bought a set of wheels off him a couple of years ago, nice guy and good to deal with. Was gunna recomend him myself befor I saw kangaroosa had already done it. :)
Yes Alexis is great to deal with. Hes actual the guy i past your detials onto originally

I gave him all your details and exactly what you were after, he said he would contact you if he could help :dance:

• 4 months later...
i know a guy who built a carbon fibre toilet for a fancy yacht. the customer was billed over $20K for his troubles.

ring www.tweakit.net, they make custom carbon fibre bits and bobs.

Seen that done on several boats,a Volvo 70 ICHI-BAN plus several boats from MaConagheys in Sydney like Shockwave and Wild Oats XI. They are damn cold and hard!!! Perfect example of wanting wank factor and getting the bill thats appropriate for custom work with CF. :cool:

This is strictly a personal opinion....but if you are going to the expense and true purpose of carbon, do not under any circumstances use fibreglass as a 'filler'. It defies the whole concept of the stuff and puts you straight into the "wank factor" category 8/ Oh, two types of resin you can use:polyester and epoxy. Epoxy--> easier to work with, stinks less, stronger, more $$$$$. Polyester--> Cheap,stinks like hell,tricky to work with and I wouldnt use it as bog!!! Ahh what does my opinion matter? lol just having a blab,not many people understand/follow me when i talk about this and i just get excited when people actually show interest lol