Ke55 Conversion Help, Rb20

WinKE55

I'm fairly new to here, I own a 1981 KE55 Hardtop Coupe, I'm not really a fan of things under 2L So I was wondering about putting a RB20 Nissan Skyline motor into it. I was wondering if any of you guys or girls would know if it will work? I've also seen people put a L20B Nissan Skyline motor into one.

Can I actually put a RB20 motor into my KE55? With a gearbox to actually fit?

I need a bit of advice,

Thanks.

Members dont see this ad

why nout use a 4cyl, since they're 2/3's the length. when you can buy a 4cyl 2.7L 3RZ-FE and strap on a turbo for shits and giggles (ok it might cost a few bob.) The point is there's no need to go to a 6cyl when a 4pot 2L will be just as rev happy.

To answer your question yes it will fit (just, with some love)

better opitions are a plently though:

CA18DET

3SGTE

STR20DET

2TG/3T 2.0L hybrid

Cosworth YBT, or BDT(E) (few dollars to be spent here)

1UZFE (it's a V8 that weighs less than a 3SGTE)

Cheers

jordan

Okay well I forgot to mention.

I am under new laws here in Brisbane, Which sucks ass.

I'm not aloud a engine bigger than a 6 cylinder, not aloud a turbo, or supercharger, not aloud a engine running in my car that has a power output of 200kW. And not aloud to go over a 1327cc or something like that.

Thanks Jordan, even a 4 cylinder would do me pretty good, but I just want to have something in my car, that I can at least get it around 180-200kW but the engine still has the capacity of getting more power out of it.

why nout use a 4cyl, since they're 2/3's the length. when you can buy a 4cyl 2.7L 3RZ-FE and strap on a turbo for shits and giggles (ok it might cost a few bob.) The point is there's no need to go to a 6cyl when a 4pot 2L will be just as rev happy.

To answer your question yes it will fit (just, with some love)

better opitions are a plently though:

CA18DET

3SGTE Real pain in the arse to do a RWD conversion on, but possible

STR20DET You mean SR20DET

2TG/3T 2.0L hybrid Actually a 1.8L hybrid

Cosworth YBT, or BDT(E) (few dollars to be spent here) Whilst a good engine, a LOT of dough would need to be spent, might as well just go 4A

1UZFE (it's a V8 that weighs less than a 3SGTE) But the transmission to go behind it is possitively huge (especially manual), so a heck of a lot of tunnel bashing there

Cheers

jordan

I'm not aloud a engine bigger than a 6 cylinder, not aloud a turbo, or supercharger, not aloud a engine running in my car that has a power output of 200kW. And not aloud to go over a 1327cc or something like that.

hey mate just wondering, but if your under the new laws doesn't that also class no engine mods (like conversions) under those laws?????

Edited by Rola Drifter

possible yes. gay yes. why bother with an rb motor when an sr20 is so much easier, its lighter, its smaller, parts are cheapr and more readily available. and lets face an sr20 imo is one of the best motors around, ever wondered why the japs keep sr20s in their s13s not like us dumb aussies who do the gayest rb conversions. imo that should make you think twice.

I'm pretty sure the new laws allow no mod plates either (engine conversions included).

If you really want a six, the toyota options are much shorter. A 1g motor is a very short 6 and will fit without firewall mods, also the 1j and 2js are (from memory) about 100mm shorter than the rb20. Both of the toyota options are a better motor too.

......I'm no pureist, just making things easier for you.

I'm fairly new to here, I own a 1981 KE55 Hardtop Coupe, I'm not really a fan of things under 2L So I was wondering about putting a RB20 Nissan Skyline motor into it. I was wondering if any of you guys or girls would know if it will work? I've also seen people put a L20B Nissan Skyline motor into one.

Can I actually put a RB20 motor into my KE55? With a gearbox to actually fit?

I need a bit of advice,

Thanks.

ke corollas are generally small cars with 4 cylinder small capacity motors... but you can get really good performance out

of them if you know how and they are light and handle well if set up correctly to compensate.

six cylinder is quite long and heavy generally speaking but there are exceptions.

leave the L20B to the datsun boys hey :)

anything can work to a degree, as in a rb20 could be fitted and run in the car, just might be shite in all other repects like

power/money ratio, weight distribution for handling, lack of space and gearbox tunnel modifications.

id say like the other guys here go a 4 cylinder, there are plenty avaliable. you just have to find the one that suits you.

i mean you get bonus points for originality trying to fit a rb20 to a ke55! but i don't think it would be worth it to be honest.

Thanks Jordan, even a 4 cylinder would do me pretty good, but I just want to have something in my car, that I can at least get it around 180-200kW but the engine still has the capacity of getting more power out of it.

so thats the new p plate laws is it?

there is also a whole book of laws in addition to that - qld code of practice for light motor vehicles which has engine conversions,

brake upgrades, diff conversions and modifications, seats etc etc. get a copy of the book or talk to an engineer because there are a lot of restrictions. and on a side note the ncop is not in effect for qld for a few years - ie the national code of practice which is supposedly a more lenient and fair legislation covering motor vehicle modifications, it would replace the qld code of practice.

output of 200kw! not gonna to get that in a hurry in approved conversion NA form!

and you will never get that if its under 1327cc! I'm guessing thats a typo :P

180-200kW with capacity for more power! farking dreaming!

realistically anyway :P ....

but say you took:

1 gen 4 3sge beams motor with 154kw

increase power to 180-200kw

convert to rwd and add supra w55 box or similar and hd clutch

modify cross member and tunnel to suit

upgrade brakes

custom tailshaft and shortened g series hilux lsd diff

custom radiator, exhaust and a few other things....

cut rust, weld, bodywork, paint, wheels, tyres.

interior and gauges, seats etc

add a few grand for misc expenses

thats probably around the 40 grand mark to get it all done pro or

20 grand diy with a spare few years and lots of patience.

and lots of tools. and lots of cursing.

and putting 180-200kw to the ground?

Edited by styler

I gave Queensland Transport a call about a few weeks ago. I had the same thoughts, that I wasn't aloud to have an engine modification that needs to be aproved but the lady said from Transport that I am aloud to, just as long as it doesn't exceed 200kW, is not turbo or supercharged and has an engineers certificate.

The SR20 motor, How easy is it to put into the engine bay as well as how much power would you reckon you could get out of it? Also where could I find a gearbox to connect to the engine?

Sorry, not looking to buy another car, I already like my KE55 ^_^

Thanks for your help, it's giving me a more wide range of different motors etc. Thanks again.

possible yes. gay yes. why bother with an rb motor when an sr20 is so much easier, its lighter, its smaller, parts are cheapr and more readily available. and lets face an sr20 imo is one of the best motors around, ever wondered why the japs keep sr20s in their s13s not like us dumb aussies who do the gayest rb conversions. imo that should make you think twice.

I read up on these SR20 motors, They look pretty good. Though there is a few to choose from.

The one I like is the SR20DE.

How hard would it be to find that motor and gear box? And sorry if I repeated myself, how easy will it actually fit into my KE55? Will the gearbox with it line up with my diff properly? What other modifications would have to be made if I put an SR20DE in my KE55?

Thanks

with the gearbox mate you just centre it in the tunnel. You will need a custom tailshaft to run between the box and the diff. Whatever motor you use just get the standard box that belongs with that motor. Sr wont be that had just requires custom g/box crossmemeber modified enige mounts to fit it. Then wiring for the ecu etc. I would upgrade your radiator too.