Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Doogs' Ke20 - Lke020

Featured Replies

  • Author

Thanks JimL, I will be doing the b pillars and window frames. Hopefully will do that and some of the other trims this Sunday.

  • Replies 407
  • Views 857.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Thanks for the kind words guys.   I took the car up to Lake Eildon this weekend as I was going waterskiing with mates. Car ran pretty well but I think I have a blocked PCV, there was some oil leakag

  • Your 20 looked great at Classic Japan today, so bloody clean.    

  • Cheers guys, will definately be up for a cruise when i get it all put together. :)

  • Author

Hey guys,

 

I got the window trims and b pillars done today, just need to clear them now in a week or so. I still need to paint all my trims too, and there will be bit of prep work in that (particularly the steel ones).

 

IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0310-1.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

  • Author

Hey Guys,

 

The other day I took all the steel trims to a mates place and sandblasted them, and then today I finished cleaning them up and prepping them before etch priming. I also cleaned up all the plastics and plastic primed them before putting silver on. This morning I got clear coat on the b-pillars and window frames and they came up a treat.

Now I need to finish prepping the wheels and paint them, as well as clear coat all the trims I painted today. From there I can start reassembling and collecting more new parts. :)

 

IMAG0320.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

IMAG0324.jpg

Silver highlights are yet to come for these inserts^

 

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0326.jpg

IMAG0319.jpg

  • Author

Hey guys,

 

I took the day off work today and clear coated the steel trims, cowl vents and grilles. I also masked and painted highlights on my plastics and painted the wheels. I tried a trick I read somewhere about using Vaseline on the polished surfaces of the wheel that you don't want paint on. This trick worked reasonably well so I will keep it in mind for future wheels. Just need to give the wheels another polish and finish off a few odds and ends, before polishing the car and then putting it back together. From there I will borrow a mates hoist and do a few mechanical bits as well as tidy up the underbody. Then I can go for RWC :)

 

IMAG0329.jpg

IMAG0331.jpg

IMAG0330.jpg

IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

IMAG0336.jpg

Edited by Doogs

Looking great Doogs!!!!!

Keen to see it at a meet when it's finished.

Dam looks awesome. Wish I knew how to spray pAint. Looking fwd to seeing it put together.

  • Author

Looking great Doogs!!!!!

Keen to see it at a meet when it's finished.

 

Cheers Stu, hopefully not too long now!

 

Dam looks awesome. Wish I knew how to spray pAint. Looking fwd to seeing it put together.

 

Thanks mate, painting is not too hard it just takes patience. I'd say it's the easiest part of the process! lol Seriously though, I found that once I'd done all the primer work it had helped me get a bit of a feel for it spraying before I painted the colour. There is no reason why you can't do it yourself. :)

Well done for keepin with it. Can't wait to see it, contemplating coming up to see it in person haha.

Have you thought about sanding of the paint on the polished surfaces and repolishing them?

  • Author

Well done for keepin with it. Can't wait to see it, contemplating coming up to see it in person haha.

Have you thought about sanding of the paint on the polished surfaces and repolishing them?

 

Cheers mate, I'd love for you to come down for a visit and talk shit etc. Welcome any time! :)

If you mean the wheels then that's the plan. I gave the stainless sill trims another polish recently too. I'm hoping that the gutter trims, still trims and polished bars will go nicely with the rest of the plastics.

  • Author

Hey guys,

 

Yesterday I cleared all the plastics but stupidly did not do a good enough job of cleaning the white out of the gun! The clear went on milky and I may need to start over :/

I also painted a few last things that I have missed and worked on the slow job of wet rubbing the wheels. I am now down to 1200 grit and will work up to 2000 before cranking out the Autosol. The wheels are looking ok but the damage from previous owners is still evident on the surface. I am not too fussed about this as I will be upgrading at some stage in the future.

I also painted a few of my badges. Next I will start wet rubbing the car and cutting the paint.

 

IMAG0341.jpg

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0343.jpg

sh*t yeah man its looking good if I'm ever in melbourne ill have to come have a look

The paint is looking schmick! How did you get it all blending so nicely, as it looks like you didnt do the whole car at once.

 

And what grit sandpaper did you start off with, for the wet sanding of the wheels? That's something I want to do to mine, to shed off the peeling lacquer.

  • Author

Thanks fellas!

The paint is looking schmick! How did you get it all blending so nicely, as it looks like you didnt do the whole car at once.

 

And what grit sandpaper did you start off with, for the wet sanding of the wheels? That's something I want to do to mine, to shed off the peeling lacquer.

 

I did all the exterior panels in one go, just not the door jams and boot jams etc. Using a solid colour meant that there were not any dramas with the colour differing panel to panel, just need to make sure the paint is well mixed like any other paint job.

 

Wet rubbing the wheels is slow tedious work, my fingertips cop a polish at the same time to! lol. I've noticed my fingers have a greater hot/cold sensitivity for the day or two after as well.

Thanks fellas!

 

 

I did all the exterior panels in one go, just not the door jams and boot jams etc. Using a solid colour meant that there were not any dramas with the colour differing panel to panel, just need to make sure the paint is well mixed like any other paint job.

 

Wet rubbing the wheels is slow tedious work, my fingertips cop a polish at the same time to! lol. I've noticed my fingers have a greater hot/cold sensitivity for the day or two after as well.

 

I see, I would probably want to redo at least my roof and guards one day, may even do the whole car to get it looking nice overall.

 

Would 400 grit be too harsh to start off with? I've tried 1200 grit, wet, but it wont get rid of the stubborn bits of lacquer, or do i just need to spend more time on the wheels with the 1200 grit?

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.