Doogs' Ke20 - Lke020

Doogs

Members dont see this ad

Hey guys,

I got the window trims and b pillars done today, just need to clear them now in a week or so. I still need to paint all my trims too, and there will be bit of prep work in that (particularly the steel ones).

IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0310-1.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

Hey Guys,

The other day I took all the steel trims to a mates place and sandblasted them, and then today I finished cleaning them up and prepping them before etch priming. I also cleaned up all the plastics and plastic primed them before putting silver on. This morning I got clear coat on the b-pillars and window frames and they came up a treat.

Now I need to finish prepping the wheels and paint them, as well as clear coat all the trims I painted today. From there I can start reassembling and collecting more new parts. :)

IMAG0320.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

IMAG0324.jpg

Silver highlights are yet to come for these inserts^

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0326.jpg

IMAG0319.jpg

Hey guys,

I took the day off work today and clear coated the steel trims, cowl vents and grilles. I also masked and painted highlights on my plastics and painted the wheels. I tried a trick I read somewhere about using Vaseline on the polished surfaces of the wheel that you don't want paint on. This trick worked reasonably well so I will keep it in mind for future wheels. Just need to give the wheels another polish and finish off a few odds and ends, before polishing the car and then putting it back together. From there I will borrow a mates hoist and do a few mechanical bits as well as tidy up the underbody. Then I can go for RWC :)

IMAG0329.jpg

IMAG0331.jpg

IMAG0330.jpg

IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

IMAG0336.jpg

Edited by Doogs

Looking great Doogs!!!!!

Keen to see it at a meet when it's finished.

Cheers Stu, hopefully not too long now!

Dam looks awesome. Wish I knew how to spray pAint. Looking fwd to seeing it put together.

Thanks mate, painting is not too hard it just takes patience. I'd say it's the easiest part of the process! lol Seriously though, I found that once I'd done all the primer work it had helped me get a bit of a feel for it spraying before I painted the colour. There is no reason why you can't do it yourself. :)

Well done for keepin with it. Can't wait to see it, contemplating coming up to see it in person haha.

Have you thought about sanding of the paint on the polished surfaces and repolishing them?

Cheers mate, I'd love for you to come down for a visit and talk shit etc. Welcome any time! :)

If you mean the wheels then that's the plan. I gave the stainless sill trims another polish recently too. I'm hoping that the gutter trims, still trims and polished bars will go nicely with the rest of the plastics.

Hey guys,

Yesterday I cleared all the plastics but stupidly did not do a good enough job of cleaning the white out of the gun! The clear went on milky and I may need to start over :/

I also painted a few last things that I have missed and worked on the slow job of wet rubbing the wheels. I am now down to 1200 grit and will work up to 2000 before cranking out the Autosol. The wheels are looking ok but the damage from previous owners is still evident on the surface. I am not too fussed about this as I will be upgrading at some stage in the future.

I also painted a few of my badges. Next I will start wet rubbing the car and cutting the paint.

IMAG0341.jpg

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0343.jpg

The paint is looking schmick! How did you get it all blending so nicely, as it looks like you didnt do the whole car at once.

And what grit sandpaper did you start off with, for the wet sanding of the wheels? That's something I want to do to mine, to shed off the peeling lacquer.

Thanks fellas!

The paint is looking schmick! How did you get it all blending so nicely, as it looks like you didnt do the whole car at once.

And what grit sandpaper did you start off with, for the wet sanding of the wheels? That's something I want to do to mine, to shed off the peeling lacquer.

I did all the exterior panels in one go, just not the door jams and boot jams etc. Using a solid colour meant that there were not any dramas with the colour differing panel to panel, just need to make sure the paint is well mixed like any other paint job.

Wet rubbing the wheels is slow tedious work, my fingertips cop a polish at the same time to! lol. I've noticed my fingers have a greater hot/cold sensitivity for the day or two after as well.

Thanks fellas!

I did all the exterior panels in one go, just not the door jams and boot jams etc. Using a solid colour meant that there were not any dramas with the colour differing panel to panel, just need to make sure the paint is well mixed like any other paint job.

Wet rubbing the wheels is slow tedious work, my fingertips cop a polish at the same time to! lol. I've noticed my fingers have a greater hot/cold sensitivity for the day or two after as well.

I see, I would probably want to redo at least my roof and guards one day, may even do the whole car to get it looking nice overall.

Would 400 grit be too harsh to start off with? I've tried 1200 grit, wet, but it wont get rid of the stubborn bits of lacquer, or do i just need to spend more time on the wheels with the 1200 grit?