One Piece Tailshaft

7shades

So I've noticed, in a lot of big HP conversions with upgraded differentials, some people prefer to go for a single tailshaft instead of doing a cut n shut on the rear section after the centre bearing.

Other than being cheaper to fabricate, are there any inherent benefits to a single shaft?

Does the KE70 centre bearing not handle HP very well?

Now bearing in mind I'm setting up my '70 to handle rather than slide, do you think a single shaft would be detrimental in that it would add to the unsprung weight of the rear suspended components?

Any related info or personal experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jarad

Members dont see this ad

The 1 piece in my opinion shites over a 2 piece. Less moving parts, less chance of vibrations, less joints to flog out, less moving parts, Easier to work on :lolcry:

Ask Tony (TRD) on here about his experiences using the 'single' shaft :wink:

i think 2 piece was meant to have less vibration but I'm definately for the 1 piece.

2 piece tailshafts are to reduce vibration.

"Most modern cars have a two piece tailshaft. This is only to reduce vibration. (Have a look at one if you get a chance - One part is always longer than the other to reduce harmonic vibration. Clever!) For a performance car, this is a waste of time, and it should be replaced with a one piece unit. "

- http://www.billzilla.org/diffs.htm

"Modern vehicles often come equipped with multi-piece tailshafts, in order that maximum interior passenger space is achieved. A multi-piece shaft makes this possible because its sections can be set at slightly different angles, so wrapping around the underside of the cabin. Usually, the shaft leaves the gearbox at a slight downwards angle, then angling back upwards as it nears the differential. While all this sounds fine, unfortunately the more pieces a tailshaft is made from, the less reliable it is."

- http://autospeed.com/cms/A_108655/article.html

Sounds like the one piece tail shafts are the go for performance.

The only KE70's that came with a 2 piece tail shaft were the Australian ones.

The Japaneses KE 70's were all one piece. hence the rally car having one.

2 piece tail shaft reducing vibration?, i think it increases it as the center bearing is attached to the tunnel and any vibration is transmitted directly to the body.

well the big rubber damper is supposed to eliminate all those vibrations

Yeh there called engine mounts,

i have just fitted a new one piece shaft to my spirit & i can tell ya the one piece shits all over the 2 piece. less moving parts, no vibrations = worth the money

as for handling, the only time this will affect it, is when a tailshaft isn't fitted. :lolcry:

He's talking aboutt he rubberised centre bearing found on 2 piece tailshafts, not engine mounts. Thats for vibration reduction.

With unis, the greater the angle they run at, the less efficient they are, due to the fluctating rotary acceleration. 1 piece shaft = longer radius = smaller angle of movement as the diff rises and falls. Therefore, 2 piece is less efficient at transmitting power than a 1 piece, plus the benefits of less parts to fail!

BUT - you do have more unsprung mass on your suspension...... semantics.