Ae92 Engine Life

sibbo

Members dont see this ad

At a guess, knowing no vehicle history - i would be saying she would be getting a little tired at 240 without a rebuild, haha

But hey, if it still drives and doesn't pollute too badly - keep on trucking. Just keep checking the oil and water !

The ol 4AFC is a good motor, it may not be the fastest thing around - it wont let you down if you look after it :dance:

Have to agree with teddy

But hey my missus has a AE92R 1994 (AE94 vin) csi limited has the 4AFE at 245000km looks like the head has had a gasket change at some stage but runs great we have done over 5000kms in a month and no oil consumption so far and its quiet pokey.

I'm now starting to think about dropping the engine in the AE71 without the missus noticing.

Have to agree with teddy

But hey my missus has a AE92R 1994 (AE94 vin) csi limited has the 4AFE at 245000km looks like the head has had a gasket change at some stage but runs great we have done over 5000kms in a month and no oil consumption so far and its quiet pokey.

I'm now starting to think about dropping the engine in the AE71 without the missus noticing.

My 7AFE is coming up very quickly on 300,000km (something like 292,000 at the moment) and it has never, ever had the head removed, and is still going strong. 71kw at last dyno day just with exhaust). Granted, its a '97 model, but a LOOOOOT of k's for it's age. A-series engines last a bloody long time, although not as long as K-series :dance:

My mother has a an 88 corolla with a 4A in it. its done about 440,000k's now and is still going along fine, doesn't use oil or anything, only problem we've ever had with it is that the fuel pump decided that i would be better to pump the fuel around the engine rather than into it, but we fixed that with a new one. That and it doesn't like the bio-fuel that much. but still reliable as, I'm pretty sure that that car will never ever die. :dance:

HAHA...this is a great thread

my mate has a 1991 Corolla CS Limited (4af-carbie twin cam)...

it has a tad over 300k on it, and hasnt had the timing belt changed since 100k.

We blew the head gasket, doing fully sick up-hill smoke shows in the wet, sitting on the limiter in second...which we still do regularly...

drove it back to his house and did a dodgy head gasket change over a weekend, no head machining, NOTHING! just a spatula to take off the old gasket, new gasket and lots of gasket sealer...

carbie is rooted, he always runs it to empty tank & it blows more smoke than a chimney...

..and still going strong, EVERY SINGLE DAY!

The most f@$ked thing is, he's never blown a gearbox or CV joints, where as in my Charade i go thru CV's every 3-5 months and syncro's every year...and i Baby the f@$kin thing....

AE92 Corolla - best value car in my opinion, it just won't die!!

My mothers tercel running a 3a-c hass over 600000km on it, it uses oil and water, has had four oil changes since they got it with 360000km on it, litterally driven this thing into the ground.

Still, you go out to it every morning snow or sunshine, pump the throttle twice and turn the key and go anywhere.

At a guess, knowing no vehicle history - i would be saying she would be getting a little tired at 240 without a rebuild, haha

But hey, if it still drives and doesn't pollute too badly - keep on trucking. Just keep checking the oil and water !

The ol 4AFC is a good motor, it may not be the fastest thing around - it wont let you down if you look after it :sob:

yeah it still goes good no problems uses minimal oil idles smooth all that good stuff haha

here are my Corolla stats

1989 Corolla 4AFC twin cam carby

249,xxx k's

Serviced at 10,000k intervals with Penzoil oil and Ryco oil filter. Has Toyota platinum spark plugs and NGK leads.

Timing belt replaced at 180,000k's by old owner

Stock: 48.8kw @ wheels

Does mad skiddies

• 11 months later...

not sure how long my engine (4afc 284000k's) has left in it but by the sounds of it, it should last a while I hope, I service it whenever I can or every 5000kms (I work at toyota and we get free genuine oil and a genuine oil filter is only $10 so it doesnt cost much to service) it has used a little bit of oil but blows no smoke has about 284000k's someone else from work had the same car and engine like mine and he revved the crap out of his all the time and at 330000k's he did a tapper cover gasket and the engine was spotless, so if you flog them and look after them they should be fine.

i've got a ae102r posted 1 year ago,,,,,,,,,in 4 days lol

basically its got around 245.000 now on the clock and about 3 weeks ago i jumped in started it up and nice white smoke started leaking out the exhaust for about 5 seconds ,

probably only the valve stem seals,

now it uses about a half a sump of oil every month or so

pretty sure its never had an TB change, and i service it every 10,15 thow k's

but definitely feel it doesn't have the grunt it use to have poking through the gears

still i recon its a great car and will still go for ages