5k, Plans, Ke20

Teddy

Hey all

Well, as you know ive got 1x Ke20 in my driveway with 1x very sad 3k.

So, ive been deciding on a few options for it latelly, and come up with some ideas. First up, get the interiour upto scratch, complentating a bit of custom gauge work, but that will come over time. Fix the body up, and do something about those guards. The ROH's are staying on that car. Bahhaha

ANYWAY! Motorwize is what i want to talk about.

I was thinking it would be wize to put a motor in thats going to work for the car, and suit its purpose. The car was going to be an investment project, get it all good, flog it off - but i luve it too much, and thats now changed. I would like it to be a weekend, trackish, club car. Not sure if its going to be on Full road rego, or rally rego... still gota look into it.

So, with all of that said; i want to keep it simple as such; that means keep to the motor series the same.... i want a K motor.

(Now, thanks to the previous owner, its got a Ke30 diff, upgraded to 114.3 Wheel patturn, Ke70 Struts, Newish Gas Shocks up front... I'm a step a head already)

Back to the K motor; Ive got a 3k in the car atm thats.. well....uses more oil than fuel. My Old 4k around the side of the house much to dads happyness, and 1 and abit worth of random K motor stuff in my bedroom (mums still freeking out that theres a strut with greese on it that sticks out of my wardrobe mahahaha) - So ive got ample K parts.... But not enough...

Finally, heres the question.

I want to build a Nasty lil K motor to suit my needs. After going into, and listening to Red dwarf's side draft webbers, i am convinced that on this planet we call earth, there is no better sound than that of twin side draft webber / dellautos coming on into cam, under full load and full throtal !

I ponderd over the 3k / 4k / 5k all day, and finally came up with this. 3k's are what came with the car, and that is what i would need if i went on into rally / more serious comps later on. As i will only be using it for motorkhanas, autocross's, kahanacrosses... etc, there is no real need for me to stick to the small 3k for Cams purposes.

I also pondered over the 4k, how well mine goes, how much better it could go... etc. Then i started thinking 5k.

$10 bucks to you if you have bothered to read down this far btw :).

So, the plan is to get a 5K, and work it. Aim is to make a nice amount of power, without going OVERboard. Would $1500 (give or take a lil) go very far to make a nice 5k grunty? :D I'm thinking of geting a 5K block, bore it out, pistons & rings to suit, Nicely ported 4K head thats been shaved to up the compression. Side drafts and extractors. I know ive got to get some solid lifters as the stock 5k ones are hydrolic.. have to look into that.

I know theres lots of motor conversion threds around, but i just want to get some peoples ideas/ suggestions into building up a 5k over a bit of time, what things work, and what don't.

Thanks again in advance people. I can't wait to build my first motor :D

Ted

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$1500 should get you somewhere.....and with you being in a toyota dealership you shouldnt have too much trouble sorcing parts....lol

read up on my conversion........the 4k head would prolly be better than my head.

theres not much difference from 4k to 5k anyway.....and you can only take the bore out to 81mm......which is what mine is.

In my experience $1500 should get you the complete motor fully machined, balanced and assembled. (depending upon how much your initial outlay for the 5K block is). Although you would expect to pay another $800 on top of the $1500 for the head to get some pretty serious work done to it.

As for the side drafts - Last time i checked, the manifolds were around $250 brand new. Not to mention the cost two side drafts on top of that.

Here's my engine - Just one of the paths you could take.

Engine Specs are as follows:

- 3K Large port, big valve head. Double valve springs.

- Gemini Pistons 82mm Bore. Hypertec Pistons machined to reduce compression to 9.5:1

- Datsun 1200 pushrods

- Fully Balanced

- Double row timing chain

- Crow solid cam and lifters (Lifters are Chev)

- King Bearings

- Hastings Rings

- Standard conrods and crank.

- 12" high powered thermo fan. Davies Craig brand.

- 3 Row radiator

- Single DVG Weber (Still trying to get twins organised)

BTW - you can mail me the $10 for reading your post - hehe :D

I second that send $10 my way :) $1500 should get you well and truely on your way to a quick 5k i`m going to build an uprighted 5k for my daily driver on weber 40dhlas that i picked up for $180 nz (matched pair)i reckon it`ll cost me about $1200 to do the entire job,but i can do all the work myself including the cylinder head porting/flowbench work.I wouldnt worry about balancing the crank unless you plan on spinning it over 6500-7000 rpm a lot as factory balance isnt too bad(saves you some coin) just balance your pistons at build on a decent set of digital scales. :D

Time to do some bartering :D

Atm the car has got a 1 7/8 " exhaust system... that be ok with this new setup?

Thanks for all that - will be a slowish progress thing, i don't wanta suck all my money all at once lol.

I'm going to research cams and stuff now...i would really like an agressive / top end cam :)

$10 please.

Why are you staying with a K motor...push rod. i bet you could do a 2t-geu/3t-gte conversion for that kind of money...ive seen 2t-g going for $400 mark, yeah ok youll need a box aswell but in time doing upgrades on that engine will get you alot more power than a FULLY worked 5K.

I'm sure going from a 3k to 5k will need engineering anyway.

I'm thinking of going to a 1GGTE in mine now....i need more power :D

Bulls eye nick !

I considered other motors, but for

- ease of instalation

- limited space and tools i have

- less farting around

- as much as possible bolt up'able parts -

Ive descided to go K motor. I wanta build a motor, and a k motor is relietevly simple compaired to whats out there. Sure they are a non cross flow head, pushrods and have limited power, but you have to start somewhere.

5K need enginering? don't make me going into my plan. *evil*

You want a 1GGTE in yours?... from what i know... don't cars have to turn as well as go straight ? :D

Ok, picked up Side draft manifold yesterdey - $100 ! :D

Parts wize, I'm using the 4k head off my old motor from white ke70, and the cam shaft i got from Irokin (so i don't have to pull the one out of the 4k block :P)

For my application, with relation to side draft carburation, what do you think would suit it best / what size is too small / too big... etc. There are lots of things around atm, but i want to make sure i get excatly whats suited to the job !

Still deciding on cam grind ...hyyymm.....

As i learnt about heads last night, its not about size, its about air flow and speed. This has made me think like crazy all day ! :dance:

:D