Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

George's Ke55 Coupe Sr20det

Featured Replies

I've Been lurking around these forums for a little while so I thought I would post up a small project entry.

 

I bought this car off a friend of a friend, it already had the motor in the car although there were many corners cut. I blew the standard diff within 2 nights of owning the car, got another standard one for the time. It originally ran a rb25 T3 though the seals blew and I figured it was a good excuse to start with the upgrades.

 

Specs as of now.

 

 

Car: 81 KE55 XX Coupe

 

Motor & Driveline: S14 SR20DE w/ VCT, S14 gearbox, GT28RS .86 rear, Standard det exhaust manifold, custom dump pipe, 3" exhaust, 450x300x76 fmic.

 

Fuel System: 555cc nismo injectors, 100lph lift pump, surge tank, 2xVLTurbo fuel pumps in parallel

 

Cooling System: Standard radiator w/ thermo fan

 

Suspension & Brakes:

Front: JDM Sprinter struts, discs, callipers, MR2 short stroke shocks, Pedders springs, sigma LCA, RA40 tie-rods,

Rear: reset leafs, Suzuki sierra short strokes

 

Wheels & Tyres: front: 15x7 ssr reverse mesh. Rear: 15x7 watannabe's

 

Interior: fixed back seats up front, few gauges, speco meter tacho modified into cluster, quick release bosskit, aftermarket steering wheel

 

Body: chrome bars with plastic ends, few dings and some rust

 

Other: haltech E6X, haltech EBC, CIG locker

 

 

Future Mods:

Slotted rotors up front

Volvo diff

Bigger radiator

Repair rust

Cusco adjustable strut tops

 

 

 

Quickview of the front

11052008599resize.jpg

 

The rear after I got a chrome bar off KE Ping it real.

27052008613resize.jpg

 

The Instrument cluster I made up while off work.

27102008746.jpg

 

After removing the old T3 I had a brain snap and decided to fix a few things up.. this is the sorry state of the engine mount, also the oil return into the sump makes me uneasy.

P1010002.jpg

 

After tapping the return into the correct spot

15112008775.jpg

 

Installed some rocker arm stoppers while everything was apart

P1010038.jpg

 

And resealed everything as I had oil leaks from every spot you could imagine. This is how the motor stands at the moment.

P1010032.jpg

 

I bought some TA22 engine mounts and another set of unmolested SR engine brackets. A mate is coming over next week with his welder so we are going to modify the subframe mounts.

 

The work has been a bit slow as I broke my ankle a few months ago in a motorbike accident. Should be back into full force after the Xmas break.

 

Thats it for now, thanks to everyone who I have bothered with questions so far.

 

I will update this as more progress happens.

 

George.

Edited by furryfrog

  • Replies 53
  • Views 59k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • That's true although the car is red hot anyway, ill see how much attention it gets from the :( i can always spray it black later,   Ive gotta stop going out so much i end up feeling sorry for myself

Nice work with the dash! :P I did exactly the same thing, and it looks like with exactly the same tacho too! :D

I spent ages carefully cutting a little hole in the lense bit so you can still use the shift light. :)

 

100_0262.jpg

Edited by Taz_Rx

Hey George

 

Good to see you finally started a rides thread

 

Looks like you have some good plans for her. Do you still have your VL?

 

Andrew :)

  • Author

Nice, i just extended the wires and relocated it :) i also added about 6 parker globes on the pcb as it allocated for it, originally it had 2 really weak ones could never see it at night.

 

Also just picked up some nismo 555s for $300 so I'm pretty happy about that, i think the n/a bottom end will self destruct around 200rwkw anyway, hopefully not before i build the spare det block i have.

 

Yeh i still have the VLT but its waiting for a blueslip at my friends workshop, thats going to be my daily for a few months to come.

Edited by furryfrog

george your on when mines finished lol !

 

i got a gasless mig remember =] portable one =]

  • Author

Just a quick update.

 

I got started on getting the new engine mounts sitting as low as possible, had a friend come over and help out.

I decided to cut up the xmember and redo the mounts lower, only managed to get one side done before we lost light.

I would of prefered to have it a bit further back but my tailshaft would need to get shortened again so i decided against it.

 

One of the welds didnt take as well as we had hoped, possibly cause the metal was dirty, damn stick welder :)

Still happy with how its turning out.

 

Also my new injectors should be turning up soon so ill get them in asap, it seems the engine has to be lifted past the brake master to get the plenum off and change the injectors. :y:

 

 

16122008795.jpg

 

P1010079.jpg

Nice work man.

 

Good move changing the oil drain on the turbs, it would have wrecked your turbo.

 

There should be no need to pull the plenum off to get the fuel rail off, about 4 10mm bolts and thats about it.

The side feed injectors are a prick to get out of their fuel rail though.

  • Author

yeh i had a look its a pretty tight fit to get the rail out, i figure since the motor isnt in yet i may aswell split the plenum and remove the injectors with the rail still mounted be easier than having the rail out of the car. Ive done a few on a s13 and its a piece of cake but the s14 motor is similar to a vl where the rail sits under the plenum.

 

Yeh the main reason i moved the oil drain is I'm pretty sure the t3 died cause it couldnt get rid of the oil in time and ended up pooling around the bearing, not about to take a chance with a new turbo.

No wonder this thing wasnt at the recent cruises...

 

Bad luck bout the ankle.

 

Hope you have some money saved up for the diff. :lmao:

looking good nice work with the tacho in the dash and the cross-member.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Another update.

Yesterday i found some time to swap over the injectors to the 555s i bought, very easy once the plenum was split in half.

 

Also my mate Mitch had time to come around and help me finish the cross member off so I'm very happy its starting to take shape again.

 

Drivers side finished

P1010084.jpg

 

The engine sits roughly 25mm lower than it did previously its roughly 35mm off the cross member but it was becoming a challenge to get it lower.

P1010080.jpg

 

Plenty of room on the passenger side to make up the dump pipe

P1010081.jpg

 

Have to grind a little more off so the gearbox doesnt hit

P1010086.jpg

 

Just a small bonnet jackin to finish my day off :)

P1010098.jpg

 

 

Thats it for now, I will get stuck into finishing the wiring and cleaning up all the small things after i recover from the new years partying.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.