Trds Rally Car

TRD ke70

• 4 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

The old TRD K uprite got started for the last time today, It will now be removed and stored.

We've decided that we won't pull it apart as we may put it back in if we go classic racing.

F**K it still sounded so strong.

For both Tony and I, it's bitter sweet, that engine and car won a lot, both in outright placings and class wins.

It gave us the QRC (queensland rally championship) 1600cc in 2005, a few third placings, but the most memorable for us was Urbanville 2007 when it got 2nd outright in an event that clearly suited more powerful cars, and had even had a stage win.

We had no idea that we had got 2nd until the event was over.

Here the link to the write up:

Urbanville 2007 .

For us it was amazing considering this was a 8 valve push rod engine of less than 1600cc.

It will be missed.

Anyhow, we will now see if the 4AGE can deliver the goods.

Hopefully i'll put some more pic's up tomorrow.

Edited by TRD ke70

Here's a few pic's from today, progress isn't exactly fast at the moment, as we have to dismantle everything as we go to make sure there's no damage to any parts.

The last body panels finally got painted to day, so that's it for the panel work, thank god.

Struts stripped cleaned and painted.

post-439-1264496449_thumb.jpg

New x member.

post-439-1264496533_thumb.jpg

The old Uprite ready to be removed.

post-439-1264496613_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Anyhow, we will now see if the 4AGE can deliver the goods.

I'm glad to see you guys going the 4AGE route. Screw CAMS.

Realistically, how much extra power do you reckon it's going to give you over the K motor Chris?

That combined with Tony's skill is sure going to make one hell of a competitive car (just have to keep the tyres up to it ;) ).

Pete and I can't wait to see it back out in the forests.

Cams might not be a problem, we could still be able to run PRC.

Working on something at the moment that may allow this to happen, but time will tell.

As for HP, honestly i have no idea, I'd be just guessing, have to wait until it gets dyno'ed before i could answer that.

Tony would be happy if we got 20hp more than the old engine.

Tyre wear shouldn't be a problem either, again it comes down how much hp the engine will produce.

With the extra refinements we have made through the whole car it should be pretty kind to the tires.

It's nice to see the Echo out there doing some events, it looks really pretty too in Blue!!! :hmm:

It'll be a while before it see's any action, there is so much we still have to do, and it seems to grow every time I look at the car.

Have to catch up sometime for a beer and some bullshit!! |blink|

No, not at this stage!! And what do you mean by ugly mug? :)

The S2000 hasn't been touched since the WRC and i don't think he has any plans for events this year.

On the corolla front, if we get close to finishing the car, we had plans to test it at Hirstglen before doing a rally.

The idea is, it's a short track so if there's any problems we find them quickly.

But at this stage i think it'll be the end of the year now, tony has decided to re-wire to whole car because he thinks there's to much weight in the wiring loom.

New genuine spirit rear wing arrived this week too, so that will get painted this weekend and fitted.

Stripping the old rally car as well so we can get on to the rest of the suspension.

Paint looks good man, what brakes and shocks are you running? Are you going carbs on this? I'll build you a jaycar programmable igntion if you like, will help midrange no end over fixed timing, if your not going a crane or something similar. Yet to see a well built motor run on there setup on carbs, but with map sensor and TPS support it seems to have some real tuneabilty.

Thanks, Brakes are basically AE86 JDM, vented front Brembo Rotors and rear are standard rotors all with TRD pads.

It worked well in the old car, so didn't think there was much reason to change it.

Shocks are all TRD rally items, have found these to be fantastic and reliable.

Yeah this engine will have carbs, 40mm Dellortos. Reason for this is TORQUE!!!

Air speed = Torque

Have already sorted the ignition system out too, it will be a hybrid K electronic unit, very reliable and simple setup.

The idea was to reduce the amount of stuff in the car, EFI = wiring, ecu, efi pumps, return lines, Carbs = F**k all.

Thanks for the offer though!!

How's your project going?

Today we removed the old engine, gearbox and a host of other things from the old shell.

Hope to take the shell to Sims metal on Monday,= more room in the garage!!! :)

Painted the new spoiler,and fitted that to the car, also fitted all the grill and headlights after cleaning them up.

Tony has been working on the front suspension, just cleaning, welding and painting.

The new spoiler.

post-439-1266050854_thumb.jpg

Grill all cleaned and fitted.

post-439-1266050610_thumb.jpg

The old engine ready to be clean and laid to rest

post-439-1266051021_thumb.jpg

Slowly getting there on my rig, need to do a gearbox cross member and pipes and its wire it and go. Whats the recipe of toyota's you raided to make teddy's crossmember? Was an awesome bit of work.

So I guess this is getting a small port head? Any details on the setup? That 5K was spastic, will be cool to see what happens when you apply that work on a 4AGE hey.

yes Teddy's x member did turn out to be very nice, it even surprised me!!

Not sure exactly what they were off, Teddy supplied them thinking one of them would fit. They didn't so i made one.

The only model that does fit the W series is a CE7X and Australia never got them, NZ did if your looking for one!!

Yeah the head will be a small port, gives us more meat in the head to shape the ports.

Bottom end has a 20v crank, standard rods, shot penned and balanced with forged Hi compression pistons, standard valves with a very special valve cut on the seats(can't say too much) HKS springs with TRD cams and off course the JUGGS!!

Will have a baffled sump with oil cooler, standard water pump but with alloy engine pulleys and the crank one is under driven.

TRD flywheel that we have had for many years but never used, 4 puk clutch with HD pressure plate witch will be coupled to a T-50 running an Albins gearkit. and finished of with a JDM disc brake rear from the old car, running TRD 4.78 gears.

There's so much more to do, as we assemble the car, we are looking at everything, and we keep finding more and more to do.

Hoping to do an event closer to the end of the year.

Must catch up sometime, you live only around the corner, I'm in Nundah now.

Taz: Yes i made that in NZ in 92, it weighs F all and has never needed to be surfaced, I'm very proud of it, shame it's not on the outside of the engine. :P

The old engine is going to be wrapped up and put into storage, Tony has thought about selling it, but i don't think that will happen. Too many memories i think!!

She may live to see another day, who knows. :)

Edited by TRD ke70