Street Fighter Te72

white_sandshoe

I figured i'd better not let the lack of a digital camera stop me from starting a thread...

I picked up a slightly damaged TE72 shell from D1Doony after he somehow got the back end pushed in... I ask no questions, he tells no lies... all i need to know is, the damage isn't that bad, and $500 odd isn't too bad a price considering.

So, I'm sitting around one day, daydreaming of blow thru turbo setups and all sorts of madness on one of the stock 3T-C i have laying randomly about the house. I spend a bit of time thinking about 2T-G 3T hybrid engines and 25psi of boost...

And I pick up the Quokka... (THE place to go for cheap cars and parts, although they have pretty much anything you could think of... WA only.) and low and behold, there is a TA63 for sale for a couple of hundred.

So i go and check this thing out. Turns out it's just around the corner from my place, so i walk over and see this really nice guy, who is a splitting image of Gary Oldman in his younger years. Anyways, turns out this guy's housemate has pulled up stumps and left, leaving him with a backyard treasure trove of toyotas! 3 old school supras, a pimpin soarer and the TA63 Celica.

Turns out also, that the celica is fitted with a 3TGTE, and he happens to have another complete 3TGTE, 3 computers, two full wiring looms, a custom inlet manifold, two more 3TGTE heads and he's happy to let it all go for the very reasonable price of $450.

Currently, I have the 3TGTE out of the celica and half apart on the floor of my shed. I'm getting ready to prep the block before jamming some forged internals into it, then will attempt to create a twin charge setup out of a CT26 (7M version) which i have already, and a SC12/14 which i'm still looking for.

The plan is, is to calculate out the amount of air i'll need passing through the CT26 to get it to spool up at the same RPM as the stock CT20, set up the supercharger to pass that amount of air, and calculate how much fuel to squirt into it to make it all go bang.

I realise it's a bit silly, but i'll be doing all this with the aim of running the standard computer. When you think about it, a fuel only computer does nothing other than tell the injectors to open for a certain amount of time... it does this so an adequate amount of fuel is passed into the engine to burn the air going in... Theoretically, if you're passing more air, you should be able to calculate how much more fuel is needed, and size injectors that will flow a larger amount to the same proportions as the extra air...

Anyways, I'm still looking for a few parts, namely a 75-79 hilux RWD diff with LSD centre, some 15x7 rims(minimum... I'll go wider if i need), the afore mentioned SC12 or SC14, bigger injectors, though i gotta work out exactly what i need first, front suspension of some description...

The aim of this madness is to run a flat 12 or lower... I'm initially chasing 300BHP at the wheels on the standard computer with about 14-ish psi, but i'll be looking to upgrade to a Wolf 3D once i've got as close as i can to that.

Suspension wise, I'm looking at suitable front suspension upgrades. Low and stiff are NOT the plan, though I'm hearing things about Cressida struts fitting nicely, and apparently give a little more caster. I'll need something that's got a 5 stud hub too...

I'm chasing a Hilux diff for the ass, with something slightly higher than stock to clear a nice set of Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials while still allowing enough room to sit it down on takeoff.

Bodywise, it's a nice green, with a few dints and knocks, which i'm going to leave in as it'll add to the look i'm going for. I'll be painting the bottom either a light blue or silver, and putting some good ol' WWII wing markings on the doors, along with a bit of nose art, in the way of a hot anime chick... hehe

Mustang2_DSC_3436.jpg

Colour scheme and styling i'm chasing is something not too far removed from this...

I'll be digging up a camera at some point, so pics of the actual work won't be too far away, and hopefully before i'm finished opening up the engine...

Let me know what you think???

Edited by white_sandshoe

Members dont see this ad
YES!!!!

Another TE72.

Those 3T's are ready for war MAD!!!!!... just ask the Puerto Ricans!

:)

Yeah! I seen those boys running around the 650hp mark... it's just brutal. I kinda still want to be able to cruise mine down to the supermarket on occasion though. lol.

I've actually got two more, one overrated, one rusted out...

That colour scheme will look awesome i recon!,

its a shame theres no pics, but its still a good read.

I realise it's a bit silly, but i'll be doing all this with the aim of running the standard computer. When you think about it, a fuel only computer does nothing other than tell the injectors to open for a certain amount of time... it does this so an adequate amount of fuel is passed into the engine to burn the air going in... Theoretically, if you're passing more air, you should be able to calculate how much more fuel is needed, and size injectors that will flow a larger amount to the same proportions as the extra air...

Not so sure about this, i think it is possible,

but given the price of an aftermarket fuel only computer,

and the time and equipment it would take to get the factory one happening properly,

it seems a waste of energy?

looking forward to your progress!

That colour scheme will look awesome i recon!,

its a shame theres no pics, but its still a good read.

Not so sure about this, i think it is possible,

but given the price of an aftermarket fuel only computer,

and the time and equipment it would take to get the factory one happening properly,

it seems a waste of energy?

looking forward to your progress!

Thanks for the comments! I'm hoping the paintwork won't look too... ummm... contrived?

Turns out the custom inlet manifold i have doesn't fit straight on as the dizzy is in the way... Time to learn about electronic ignition... Individual coil packs on a dual spark engine??? that could be interesting...

If it turns out i need to play around with electronic ignition, i'll probably look at the wolf 3D straight away... anyone know where to get one cheap?

Can i borrow this one when I'm in Perth again :yes:

Or you should bring it to adelaide for gazzanats :jamie:

Sounds like a MAAADDD TE72

When's Gazzanats??? I got no idea how long it'll take me to finish it to the standard I want... And guess what? No... i got another T18 you can borrow... hahaha a Stock as a Rock one. I love your new supercharged ride too bro! go the boosted rollas!!!

When's Gazzanats??? I got no idea how long it'll take me to finish it to the standard I want... And guess what? No... i got another T18 you can borrow... hahaha a Stock as a Rock one. I love your new supercharged ride too bro! go the boosted rollas!!!

Gazzanats is in like september or november.

Me 30's not supercharged as of yet. Still running the old 4k which is absolutly f@$kED. gotta go pick up the trans and find a shifter and awaiting a reply from my SC supply man. March/april and it should be running with the new 4kz and 5spd :yes:

Ok, I've come up with a few possible solutions to the 'dizzy in the way' problem... I could convert over to a smaller (and fewer plugs) 3T-C or 2T-G dizzy, and just plug up the extra holes, or alternatively, convert over to electronic ignition with individual coil packs, probably lifted from a CA18 or the like... for all 8 spark plugs...

How does one go about setting up an electronic ignition system?

• 4 months later...

Hey guys...

It's been a while since I've put a post up here, but progress has been slowly getting made... I've lined up some RA60 aftermarket coilovers with big brakes for the front, and a set of cut falcon springs for the rear, so she should be sitting quite nice, and turning even better.

Also negotiating for a set of forged pistons and rods, but a but still haggling, so we'll see how it goes.

I'm shifting house this weekend, and I've got permission to buy a hoist!!! Damn I love first home buyers grant...

So yeah, I've got pretty much everything I need except a diff...

Oh, another thing also... One of my chrysler mad mates put me onto something very interesting... He's aware of an old V8 electronic ignition system from the early 80's that would suit my needs perfectly.

Thing with this particular one is that they didn't have the skills to have it firing 8 plugs one after the other... instead, they had it firing two plugs at the same time... One in the cylender on the power stroke, and the other (pointlessly) in the opposing cylender...

The thinking is, that we work out which plugs it fires, and jam them both into the one cylender... Instant Twin Spark electronic Ignition!!!