Scary Experiences In Wet And Windy Conditions!!

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

about a month ago went out to a corner we go for for some sligs, the boys were rousing me up abit and i was trying to ignore them.

come into the corner at the same pace i would in the dry, clutched it to enter, flick, o oh, understeer into a fence,

managed to wash off allot of speed, well enough to only bend my bonnet, stone tray, snap the grill in 2, kind the radiator suport and put a huge v in my bumper, took it home, stripped the front end, (10pm at night,) went to a mates and got all the parts i needed in the same colour for $50!

moral of the story,

know your limits in both the wet and dry

if your mates razz you up tell them to get f@$ked

don't trust even the best of tyres

I didn't exactly mean totally release the accelerator, just kind of back it off a bit to gain control again. I've been thinking about taking one of those advanced driver training courses. But being in S.A makes it pretty difficult. Oh.. and it was in my ke30 :P

there are driver training days every weekend at AAMI Stadium...

http://www.aami.com.au/customer-service/sk...-locations.aspx

• 5 months later...

driving home from work about a year ago, about 1 in the morning and the road was semi-wet and was going over a bridge that curves to the right, got to the peak of the bridge going 60 - 70 km and the 13inch stockies let go and the car slid sideways then started sliding backwards into the wall and now have a ripper dent in the back corner of my rolla

also on my way to jimboomba (which is a really long, pretty straight road) one night going about 80 and it was raining, hit a big long puddle of water in the road that i didnt notice and car just lost traction and slid off the road, ended up back to front in the mud, missed a light pole by about 2 meters, lucky its all roads and grass out there and nothing else to run into

...which is why I take my daughter out in the KE70 when its wet and go sliding around deserted traffic islands.

"Go in using 2nd, go on and off the accelerator until the tail kicks, and when it kicks hold the throttle down where it is as you apply lock"

All it means is that when it steps out unexpectedly one day she will automatically do the right thing.

^^ totally agree with that!

scary experience i last had when it was pissing down rain around 1am. i taking it easy with the 10 year old tyres. coming up to a HUGE roundabout. i was doing around 20kph in the inside lane when i 4 wheel drifted, tapping the brake, almost lost it (LOL) and finally got the grip back and heart beating like a jack hammer!

god that was scary! i got a free skid mark in my pants :)

Got a couple of the top of my head.

A friend of mine just bought his first car was some old mitsi tray ute, he said hed show me the car and took me round the block. Pretty much every corner hes getting more and more eager to slide it clutching earlier and earlier, he has some speed to this last one and turns in violently and clutches at the same time round we go once then half up a kerb, spins the other way and i was a passenger of course and my side was going for the right side of the road and aiming smack dab for a tree! if there wasn't one of those harsh 90degree kerbs my face would have been morphed with a tree :)

Another story, a friend of mine was trying to sell his car and needed to sell it somewhere down south and we were in the hills, i ask to borrow my sisters car to follow down and drive him back when he sold it, all good me being on my p plates for less than a month. I drop my sister off at work and drive back home as we are going down the freeway in the morning it was already pissing down with rain for the first time in something like 10 months so slippery as all hell. I drove back home and entered an intersection tried to turn like it was dry and understeered near into stopped traffic on the other side of the road. I had experience with FWD so i luckily regained control. Scary moment number 1. Then between Aldgate and Bridgewater (if anyone knows) i look off the road to find my drink and look back to the road ahead, noticed I'm basically aiming for the wrong side, pull back didn't understeer this time instead oversteered lost the rear end full locked it and planted the foot as i thought if i grab the brakes I'm going into head on traffic, which i didn't want to do. The car pulls back violently and i manage to fit a car going 60kmh into a gap about 5-6metes wide missing a stoby pole and a fence into a storm water culvert :y:. I have pics of the once reliable lil Toyota Echo :fuzz:

Even if u are being sensible something can still go wrong so its not all hoon bad behaviour or trying to show off.

Karl.

Quite some years ago I was driving in the middle lane of the motorway in the evening with a couple of guys who worked for me, in the Sentra/Pulsar wagon I had. I saw a cop's flashing lights pull out into the m'way ahead, then back off to th LHS and thought- No problem, we can all drive past. ..

Half a second later I realised the two inside lanes were stationary and I was closing in at 100kph in the rain! As I braked a car caught up in the right hand lane beside me, shutting that off, and it took forever and a day to scrub enough speed off for him to get ahead so I could change lanes. I was on and off the brakes as they'd lock up straight away. We still weren't stopped when I went past the end car of the middle lane.

The guys in the car suddenly had to have a smoke!

That little Sentra 1600 hauled trailers with a ton of gravel on, took 4 guys and a roof-rack piled high off to work each day, & sat on 120kph between cities and never broke down in 300,000km.

Yeah, it's not the "driver training" you want to do, it the "advanced car control" you need to look into...... The ones at skid pans, with water and high powered RWD's......

The "driver training" courses basically promote nothing more than grandma-ism and driving an automatic because taking your hand off the wheel for any reason at all is a potential crash risk..... :)

The "driver training" courses basically promote nothing more than grandma-ism and driving an automatic because taking your hand off the wheel for any reason at all is a potential crash risk..... :fuzz:

basically yeah, although you get to do it in your own car supposed to get you used to it :)

Ive only ever completely lost control of a car once and it was in the wet, but it hadnt been raining. A water main in Miranda had burst at this corner near Miranda fair, I came up to the corner doing a safe speed for the dry but when I hit the water it went sideways and I over corrected then it spun back again and yadda yadda I end up see-sawing on a medium strip on one of Sydneys busiest roads. luckily I didnt hit anything and didnt do any major damage to the corolla, the adrenalin was pumping so I jumped out of the car(KE20) and pushed it back on to the road and drove away like nothing had happend. only damage was a dinged sump and the car needed a wheel alignment.