Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Compressor Surge

Featured Replies

hey guys..

 

its got me stuck.. people say yes its bad and no its ok..

 

is compressor surge actually bad for your turbo or is it just a myth..

 

I'm guessing its not good cause its trying to turn the turbo the opposite way its spinning..

 

cheers

  • Replies 38
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

YEs it is VERY VERY bad. I have seen surge spin the compressor on the shaft and well bores it out and turbo was stuffed.

 

You don't want this happening.

 

Cheers

  • Author

thats what i thought..

 

i don't actually have a turbo car it was just gettin to me reading one thing and then another..

 

many more opinions welcomed...

Have heard many things but i really don't think its that bad unless your running huge amounts of boost. Know plenty of people that have been running stockish setups for quite some time with no problems. Its also argued that theres a difference between flutter and actual compressor surge but I'm not entirely sure on that one...

A lot of large expensive turbo's will actually have surge deflectors on the compressor inlet.

if i see a turbo blow from dosage then ill belive it

The rapid deceleration/fluctuations in speed of the compressor would put a lot of pressure on the turbine and the shaft would it not? Especially axial thrust on the shaft, which would cause premature bearing wear.

*sniff sniff* I smell bullshit.

 

x2

 

I'm not going to write an essay on why its not good, I'll just leave you with one point.

 

If dosage/flutter/compression surge is ok, and BOV's are not really neccessary, then why does basically every factory turbo car have factory fitted BOV? :P

 

Actually, can anybody tell me of a factory turbo car that doesn't have a BOV? Seriously I want to know!

Edited by Taz_Rx

x2

 

I'm not going to write an essay on why its not good, I'll just leave you with one point.

 

If dosage/flutter/compression surge is ok, and BOV's are not really neccessary, then why does basically every factory turbo car have factory fitted BOV? :P

 

Actually, can anybody tell me of a factory turbo car that doesn't have a BOV? Seriously I want to know!

 

BOV from factory are for emissions. They also do alot of strange things, RB20DET's stock BOV actually leaks on purpose. All factory turbo cars will have a BOV, cause they will plumb back, just for emissions.

 

Compressor surge is bad, as it stalls the compressor wheel. Does take alot of PSI to kill one though (40+ lbs) So, someone running small boost I.E 7-12psi, wont have a drama with it. Unless, its a cheap chinese turbo. I have seen compressor surge kill a chinese made one, was indeed funny.

 

IMO, factory plumb backs > External gating. The noise is just wank.

OK lets just get one thing straight... Compressor _surge_ is NOT the same as MAD FLUTTERZ/does. True comp surge is very violent and seldom seen in cars unless you chose some bizarre miss matched compressor/turbine. Its more of a popping noise when you are on the accelerator. People seem to have confused the two because "I guess the flutter is a surging kind of sound".

 

Chinese turbos will fail regardless.

Actually, can anybody tell me of a factory turbo car that doesn't have a BOV? Seriously I want to know!

 

ET pulsar/exa for a start and there are several more.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.