Car Security For Ke70

M3LOW

My Nissan Wingroad work wagon had a button under the clutch on the 'start' line, so you had to have the clutch depressed to start the car. I can't stand that but it made a nice kill switch when I moved it up under the dash...

The lights would all come up but no starter motor unless you held the button down. Hook one up to a dash light switch or the cig lighter or something.

Members dont see this ad

Problem is GPS is a one way technology. That thing is just a datalogger, so you'd actually have to be within 10 meters of the car in order to pull the information off it using the bluetooth. Not particularly useful if you don't know where your car is.

There are other GPS receivers with a built in packet radio (usually satellite based) that will report back to a central location. Or (if you were in the states and had access to a $99 iPhone) you could try this: http://ephermata.livejournal.com/204026.html

Problem is GPS is a one way technology. That thing is just a datalogger, so you'd actually have to be within 10 meters of the car in order to pull the information off it using the bluetooth. Not particularly useful if you don't know where your car is.

There are other GPS receivers with a built in packet radio (usually satellite based) that will report back to a central location. Or (if you were in the states and had access to a $99 iPhone) you could try this: http://ephermata.livejournal.com/204026.html

That is exploroary, it was the first gps tracker link i found. Didnt read the fine print.

Ive seen them for sale with sms tracking for under 200 us. I'm doing that, no need for an alarm when you know where the car is.

there are also setups that you put a mobile phone inside your car, and when you send an sms to the "car phone" it will send you back the current gps position.

there was a kit you can buy, i think you have to use an old phone though. can't remember...prolly worth looking into.

i think prevention is better than cure though. steering locks, not parking in dodgy places.

i also try and take friends cars when we go out:P

• 10 months later...

my friend had an old datsun with a cut off switch for the ignition. basically it was wired so that there was a gap which you had to join with two fingers by touching two screws with one hand while you turned the key. the beauty was that the screws were there already, he'd just wired under the carpet.

I'm trying to figure out how to do that with my rolla but i'm not good with electrics

Honestly if someone really wanted to steal an old car it's so easy, pop the bonnet run a positive wire from the battery to the coil, find the starter motor wire and and just short it out to the thick positive cable going to it. And putting power to the idle solenoid thingy.

An alarm is the only good idea as the flashing light will warn them that there is an alarm fitted, and then if they do break in the alarm will sound and warn people around. To go just that little bit further you could wire one of these up to the main cable to the starter motor http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DUAL-BATTERY-ISOLAT...rts_Accessories , and just hide it somewhere.

There are a couple of different scenarios here-

You park the car while you go to the pictures or the pub or even just shopping. You will be back sometime soonish, so the thief has to be quick.

You park the car overnight outside on the road, so the thief knows he has got a bit of time.

You park the car for a few days while you're on a Uni course or hiking on a trail, so the thief has plenty of time.

You can stop the second two by taking the rotor out, so its the first that will lose you your car. Mostly by some kid who wants a ride home or a gang of layabouts who want to go joyriding.

My in-laws in South Africa have a steel pipe that fits over the handbrake lever and attaches to the gear lever. You put it in first or third, extend the steel and lock it at that length. Its hardened steel so hard to cut through in a rush, its easier to steal the car next door.

I haven't seen one for sale here, although I'd quite like one. They have had the key isolators for a long time over there, you need the key in the ignition to talk to the dashboard to get electrics.

The option I'm considering is to get a motorsport battery isolator that you can take the plastic key out of. Not many thieves will carry one of those, and if you have to hunt around under the bonnet to find out where it is all epoxied up, it takes too long.

I have a switch wired to coil.

Switch off = no spark :P

yea but they can easly bypass it but running a wire from the battery to (+) of the coil.

i had a bet with my old tafe teacher that he couldnt start my car cause i had a kill switch. ^ thats all he did and bridged the terminals on the starter motor with a $2 coil LOL!

how about the fuel cut off solenoid. no fuel? no start?

Evan means a standalone unit I think Jono, one that cuts fuel off to the carb completely. So you can run the car for a minute on whatever fuel is in the carb then it dies.

You would have it on a secret switch somewhere, so you turn it on after you turn on the ignition.

what do 4k's have to kill the engine?

fuel cut off solenoid and ignition

I'm currently running only the fuel cut off solenoid on the standerd carby to kill my engine.

doesnt run on or anything?