kangaroosa

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

haha yeah induction noise is crazy load in rotas. I was in the staging lanes at Tarmak once, guy walks past me and says "there's something rattling under your bonnet mate"... I got out and popped the hood to see.... Think he shit himself when he realised it was the IDA. Bloody v8 drivers. :lol:

I've got 4x resonators (2x each primary) and a muffler about a foot an a half long and mines still stupidly load.

Oh and speaking of Harley's - They're my favourite targets for a slip-lane "play". Not only are they slow and easily beatable by a 13b, but at 1343cc the Harley V-twin has more capacity than a 13b, let alone a 12a!!! :lolcry:

Also, seen these?.....

http://www.xforce.com.au/cars/view_car/29

I like the idea of the varex and its remote control system. Would just be a case of trying to install it where it would fit.....which is kinda limited. I am keen to see what db my car actually puts out, as i suspect alot of it is induction noise and the general engine noise you get from extractors (up front i mean).

If it were a steady idle, i suspect it wouldnt be too bad. However its got that BRAP BRAP that just makes it sound over the top.

Edited by kangaroosa

one of these will help with your noise problems. http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-055&Category_Code=GTB

as for the induction noise have a read of this thread http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=196196&hilit=cold+air+induction

I Had an aspirated 13bbp with 51ida in mine before i went turbo. i ran the big k&n filter and it was pretty noisy so i tried an a.s.k. airbox with finer filter socks on the trumpets and it made it run like shit. tried it with and without the socks and it came down to the socks being the problem. personaly i'd mod an airbox and run a k&n or simila filter and give it a feed from the cowl and front.

this is my old setup with the airbox and cold feeds. It still had huge induction noise though.

post-864-089082800 1291713727_thumb.jpg

Edited by rolla13bt

Thats the type of setup my builder suggested i use. I just went with the chrome k&n filter for ease.

Apparently Webers need an airbox or such around them for them to work properly. Something about needing air volume. Filter socks are apparently a big no no.....just something I didnt realise.

What did that airbox come off? Looks right at home there. I think i may go with that setup.

don't suppose you have more pics with the airbox lid off and exactly where the pipes are plumbed to?

na no other pics sorry. it's an a.s.k. engineering airbox for an ida. he used to make bits and pieces for rotaries, search him on ausrotay and you should be able to find more info.

you could make one fairly easily just use the bottom of the k&n filter as a template and make an alloy box with a couple of 3'' holes for air feed.

Hey roosa are you not running a fan shroud? I think that may also help a fair bit as it should make the air pass through the fan thus making the fan work more efficiently.

Rohan has some sweet machines down there dosent he. That isotropic

finishing he does is pretty nice stuff thinking of getting my 5k crank done when I do the turbo setup.

Good luck with all your teething issues. Oh and from what I here with rotors "if it ain't loud it ain't fast. Lol

stu.

Hey roosa are you not running a fan shroud? I think that may also help a fair bit as it should make the air pass through the fan thus making the fan work more efficiently.

Rohan has some sweet machines down there dosent he. That isotropic

finishing he does is pretty nice stuff thinking of getting my 5k crank done when I do the turbo setup.

Good luck with all your teething issues. Oh and from what I here with rotors "if it ain't loud it ain't fast. Lol

stu.

Hey Stu

I don't have any cooling issues at all at the moment. The car heats up to about 92C before the fan comes and and drops it to about 87C. When cruising, the fan is off and the temps drop to 83-85C. If i hold a piece of paper infront of the car, it will get sucked towards the radiator from as far as 400mm away.

Rohan does have some nice gear there. The 13B in the showroom is almost too good to bolt into a car. The 20B plates in the showcases are just awesome bits of gear.

Theres a $600 figure on my bill for grinding and nitriding. I recall him saying there was a few thousand dollars alone in isotropic coating on the plates for the 20B he had in the showcase.

What was the reason you dropped into Xtreme?

I think I have everything sorted now. Drove it to work today and took a few blokes for a spin. All of them got out with the same grin from ear to ear closely followed by "F@CK ME"

I've convinced myself the bulk of the noise is induction noise. Outside the car, the exhaust is pretty loud but its not as though its a car without mufflers...but when driving I get a bucket load of induction noise in the cabin which i think makes me a bit wary of police around. I'm going to leave it until i get done and plead that its all induction noise. I'm not sure what the legalities are on induction noise as the only tests i've heard of are exhaust db testing.

i wish i could do a 12a in my ke20, but it's to big cause rotaries classified as twice their size, 5kt will do though. get some more vids up mate. i wanna hear this thing some more. love it mate.

I want to lash out and buy a GoPro HD Camera for Christmas. I'm hoping to bolt it in somewhere so i can record the Great Ocean Road Trip.

I'm also a bit wary of what i post on the internet. I'm happy to post dyno clips and idling in my driveway, but i'm not going to post clips of me giving it a squirt as i've heard too much about people being done under the hoon laws for it.

Good to here cooling system is sorted. Also good to here your getting a bit if use out of it.

Was a few years ago when I went down with a mate to see if he'd build him a full house 13b turbo motor as he was sick of it going bang at 25psi on 98 pump juice. He'd just sorted the isotropic setup. Sort of sells itself I think.

Stu.

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmmm Boost. I've heard the stories from Dan about how off its tits it is. Looks like alot of fun with the bpt.

Too be honest i'm a bit over mine at the moment. I havent driven it for nearly 2 weeks. I live 15mins from work, so by the time I warm the rolla up and drive there......i could already be at work if i drove my daily.

I need to plug a few holes in the firewall with grommets and give it the first oil change. I'm sick of getting out smelling like exhaust.

I plan to spend some time in it over the Xmas break (speaking of which, I just finished my Xmas break up lunch for work......I'm about to go drink a few litres of water and lay down for a bit)