Towe's Turtle

towe001

Oh yeah and the anchor restraint is in.

post-1432-1276338858_thumb.jpg

I think having it lifted a little bit would be good so that i can get the clip to fit straight on. Hate the strap

post-1432-1276339064_thumb.jpg

But i have this as a little problem - the bolt head is hitting on the bottom of the venetian. Which is going to make it a problem in lifting the tab up for the clip. I can either cut the venetian a bit or what might be a better idea is to cut a hole up through the board and hope i don't wind up cutting the carpet.

The next step is to get it ok'd for use.

And then its off to find a seat my boy can use, the one in the lancer is miles too big - can, after a fight, get it in the left hand door but to clip it in i have to go in through the right hand door.

Members dont see this ad

Jacobs old seat, he still fits ok

post-1432-1276389544_thumb.jpg

so i might use it for a bit till we can get something better

post-1432-1276389614_thumb.jpg

And let the carnage begin....

post-1432-1276389723_thumb.jpg

I'm almost as happy as pig in....

Almost :)

Edit - photo muck up

Edited by towe001

5K in and sitting on the Liteace engine mounts

post-1432-1276417125_thumb.jpg

3K out and sitting in the war zone

post-1432-1276417260_thumb.jpg

k50 five speed from a ke70 lines up in the hole

post-1432-1276417394_thumb.jpg

but after dinner and after i jack the car up i'll post a pix of the little problem i have with the gearbox mounts

And of everything that i knew about going from the auto to the manual has gone out the window.

The manual box is just a touch in front of the bolt holes for the auto mount.

post-1432-1276422088_thumb.jpg

From everything i knew, the x-member for the manual used the bolt holes further back, not the same ones as the auto.

I started thinking that it could have been the liteace engine mounts so i swapped them over to the ke30 ones. But nooo it's still the same. Had it all kind of lined up with the re-drilled x-member from the auto, but then i noticed the engine and exhaust manifold had a really nice gap at the rear end of the head and then i remembered about this post Auto To Man, Ke30 Advice - post #3 and so i dropped the box down and low and behold the manifold lined up :P

But now i can't use either x-member cause the phuckin exhaust is in the road and i can't take the thing out and bend or dimple it cause it's all one piece.

But i'm thinking outside the box of the auto x-member clears the exhaust nicely but doesn't really work with the g'box, but the manual x-member works on the g'box. So with a bit of cutting and a spacer plate thing i should be able to have something that works.

Man, oh man i was really wanting to be able to use today as a day for timing the car in and getting any hiccups out of the road.

Oh well back to it...

Yea ,5k blocks are taller than 3ks

Yeah thanks for that :bash: :P something i completely forgot about

so exhaust manifolds end up higher and exhaust pipe closer to the floor

Have been wondering about that if the pipe is up a little higher. Cause i get the g'box up somewhere close to where i think it should sit and the exhaust gets a bit too close to the floor pan for my liking. Hmm, i think i'll finish off that mount then drop it down with some washers or something till i can get the exhaust fixed.

Cheers for that Tojo :y:

• 2 weeks later...

Grr got the car started last night :D

but it needs a tune (timing etc)

I don't have the wiring connection under the brake master cylinder for the reverse switch on the g'box so i had to make up a length of wire from the plug on the box up though the hole for the shifter to the plug for the auto.

All went well till i tried reverse.... no lights. The damn switch is phucked :yes:

post-1432-1277295097_thumb.jpg

Got the rest of the odds and sods done last night - toggle switch for the reversing lights (not overly happy with the idea but it'll have to do till i get something) and a few other bits.

Got the timing done a bit better, it's running something like 15deg. On the 10deg mark it didn't seam to happy with it. Going to have to have a look at the points when i can and see what their like.

Mucked around with the carby a little bit on the idle etc.

So all up it seams to be idling pretty good, not too sure what rpm its idling at atm only did it by ear.

Pulled the turtle out of the garage and took it for a spin around the block

And going by the seat of my bum dyno i'd say it'd give the lancer a run for its money at the lights.

The only things i now have to remember is that its not a self-shifter and i need to use the clutch on gear changes and that just taking my foot off the gas pedal isn't enough :lol:

Yeah i was thinking that i might have mucked something up with the wiring so i traced it from the connector where the auto shifter was and down to the gearbox switch but it was all no go, so i pulled the switch out (27mm spanner) and tested that and it was stuffed.

Had a look on the Tridon site and downloaded their switches catalogue (http://www.tridon.com.au/downloads.aspx). Nothing for the KE series corolla but after a little searching the liteace k-series uses a TRS007 switch (along with a quite a few others uses the same switch) and the other but is that it has a different connector style (its on the switch not a flying lead) so it'd have to be modified or find a plug for it.

Took the turtle for a spin around the block when i got home from work earlier, about a nice 15 minute drive. Don't how the heck i did it but as i was coming up a side road i put both feet on the clutch pedal :wink: and coasted past the intersection....

Got home and decided that i may as well check the manifold bolts, a little loose but i discovered the bolt for the left hand engine mount was undone - i was able to tighten it up with my fingers and then the breaker bar was put to work. The right hand one was a little loose as well. I'll check 'em again in a few days of driving.

Yeah i was thinking that i might have mucked something up with the wiring so i traced it from the connector where the auto shifter was and down to the gearbox switch but it was all no go, so i pulled the switch out (27mm spanner) and tested that and it was stuffed.

Had a look on the Tridon site and downloaded their switches catalogue (http://www.tridon.com.au/downloads.aspx). Nothing for the KE series corolla but after a little searching the liteace k-series uses a TRS007 switch (along with a quite a few others uses the same switch) and the other but is that it has a different connector style (its on the switch not a flying lead) so it'd have to be modified or find a plug for it.

Took the turtle for a spin around the block when i got home from work earlier, about a nice 15 minute drive. Don't how the heck i did it but as i was coming up a side road i put both feet on the clutch pedal :wink: and coasted past the intersection....

Got home and decided that i may as well check the manifold bolts, a little loose but i discovered the bolt for the left hand engine mount was undone - i was able to tighten it up with my fingers and then the breaker bar was put to work. The right hand one was a little loose as well. I'll check 'em again in a few days of driving.

have you got one sorted? i think i got one spare in the shed thinkkkk