May 23, 201016 yr comment_439432 or jack up the car 20cm off the ground then run so all the air goes to the highest point, out the radiator cap Report
May 23, 201016 yr Author comment_439448 or jack up the car 20cm off the ground then run so all the air goes to the highest point, out the radiator cap Cheers Evan, I did that too. I parked it on a hill with the radiator the highest point of the cooling system. Just keeps bubbling even after it idles for over half hour. Still over heating, idle hunting and loosing water :D Report
May 30, 201016 yr Author comment_441135 got any updates on this beast mate? Not really, still waiting to find out whats wrong with the engine from my mechanic. I hope its not the head gasket but most symptoms point to that. I'm flat stone cold broke so even when i do find out whats wrong i can't do anything to it :blinks: My plans if the head gasket is blown is to send the head off to get tested, shave it a bit more, Polish the exhaust ports and use a 0.8mm or 1.0mm head gasket. But i got no cash what so ever so nothing just yet. Report
June 9, 201016 yr Author comment_443638 I got the car back from the mechanics and he said the head gasket is blown :bash: Kinda cracked the shits with it and went for a last spin before i took the engine apart. I went for a major thrash and burnt the front tires out in one night.. :) It was weird because the harder i drove it, the smoother the car got and more responsive it felt. The next day it ran perfect and didn't miss a beat and the oil had cleared up too. It was like i just blew the cobwebs out of it. Drove the rolla to work the other day (Because the Falcon costs me about 30 bucks petrol for the 2 hour trip) After the long drive home its now playing up again and idle hunting and over heating, but the oil is still ok. I'm almost sure the head gasket is blown and my mechanic said it was gone but it just seems funny it's not lost any power and runs fine some days and other days like a bag of shit. I looked at the coolant and it smells like exhaust gas so i guess thats where the air has been coming from and causing the idle hurting. Other news is i had to replace the front tires so i got a pair of these on the front :) CLICK Edited June 9, 201016 yr by Johno Report
June 9, 201016 yr comment_443684 Not good news mate :) One thing i don't recomend is driving a car with a blown head gasket (especially hard) as water is most likely entering the combustion chamber/s. If enough goes in you can risk it hydraulically locking and bending rods and such. Just keep it aside until you can afford to fix it. Hope there's better luck for you in the future :) Report
June 9, 201016 yr comment_443694 Not a proper fix, but chemiweld might keep you going until you have the cash to fix it properly. Report
June 13, 201016 yr Author comment_444380 Cheers guys, I took it off the road and lastly drove it to a mates house last night for repairs. I started stripping the motor down and all i have left is the cams and intake manifold then i can undo the head bolts and go from there. I couldn't believe just how f@$ked the oil was. All through the cam covers is Grey and white slug/oil everywhere :P I went to repco and could have spent over 500 dollars on stuff but the girl working there didn't even know what a torque wrench was :angry: so i didn't buy anything and just walked out. [/Rant] She couldn't even tell me what gaskets and seals i needed to rebuild my engine and when it came time to ask about a 0.8mm head gasket she was over it. Thats then when i was over it and asked for a torque wench which she didnt even know. I think she was expecting to sell a radiator hose or a spray can because thats all she was qualified to do. [/end rant] Report
June 21, 201016 yr Author comment_446351 Pulled the head off and found the gasket blew in 2 spots. Took the head to my mechanic and he recons maybe i will need the head welded up but testing will find out for sure. I should know in a few days. Bought a new reground gasket kit. It includes every gasket and seal i need to rebuild the top of the engine. I also bought a new set of 4age head bolts and also bought a 0.8mm TRD metal head gasket. I aslo asked if they could polish the exhaust ports on the head when it gets refaced :jamie: Report
July 13, 201016 yr Author comment_451574 Big update time. I got the head crack tested and pressure tested and all good. Got it refaced, I was going to shave it 20thou but my mechanic advised me not to because I'm using a 0.8mm head gasket. Fast forward 2 weeks.. Well i was going to use the 0.8mm gasket but my block was not as clean and straight as it could be and couldnt be stuffed getting a stone so i used the standard gasket that came with the VRS kit just to keep it safe. I put everything back together and it started up fine. Painted the cam covers while it was all apart Report
July 13, 201016 yr comment_451582 remember to adjust valve clearances after 300km and re-torque headbolts just to be sure Report
July 13, 201016 yr comment_451587 remember to adjust valve clearances after 300km and re-torque headbolts just to be sure Ha, it won't need to be reshimmed if the shim and buckets went back into where they came from as it has only been cleaned. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now