Project 10.

TheNOBBLER

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Taz,

Dizzy is locked internally and timing is currently set at 15deg, runs much better at 20deg but I thought that the increase in temp may have been timing related. Turns out my radiator just shit itself and that was that. Reset the timing to 20deg and went for a drive with the radiator cap not on properly and it's quite happy and pulls well through the rev range, screwed the cap on properly and it was all over. Fired it up thismorning and once itcleaned itself out she runs like normal until it warms up.

I will be playing with the timing on the dyno and giving my vac advance a workout for cruising but that all going to be trial and error. Until I get stuck into going efi that is.

JP

I doubt if the reduction starter will help too much.

They just don't like starting (mainly when dead cold) with 20+ degrees. Thats the main drawback of locking the dizzy.

Actually exactly what dizzy do you have? You can actually lock out HALF of the mechanical advance with a 3k dizzy!

Hmm... Interesting!

I'm running an internal igniter 5k dizzy, just what the motor and box combo came with. Turns out it had a BHG so that certainly wouldn't had made hot starts easier, it started piece of piss when cold but not when hot, that's what got me thinking it wasn't timing related. Fixed that now but it's still not enjoying starting.

Kickn5k's blown beast runs near 30deg locked timing without a fuss, I always assumed it was the starter but I suppose he is running around a full point lower comp than me too!

JP

Ouch a BHG bet your air/fuel/water ratios were spot on though.

That sux about the BHG so close to the run. Atleast your excel has aircon.

My only trouble on starting is it takes a couple of goes for it to fire and run. It has nnoooo trouble turning over like your car has. It's like the battery has no omph in it you may need like a 500+cca beast in it like mine, don't forget it's in the boot and not the bay so you'll need a bit more to compensate for the loss through all that cable.

Stu.

Sounds like a plan then. She's hard starting but otherwise fine.

So I tricked a few people on the weekend, said it wouldn't be making the GOR trip but I turned up in it :) used 3 tanks of juice to most peoples talk and a half but I was the only boosted rolla cruising around. Ran great but really rich and didn't get over 80deg even on the 40deg day.

Mind you, I broke an exhaust hanger and killed a 5 speed box on the way home! Tis fine if you don't need and gears bar 3rd and 5th! Lucky I have a spare!

JP

Sounds like a plan then. She's hard starting but otherwise fine.

So I tricked a few people on the weekend, said it wouldn't be making the GOR trip but I turned up in it :) used 3 tanks of juice to most peoples talk and a half but I was the only boosted rolla cruising around. Ran great but really rich and didn't get over 80deg even on the 40deg day.

Mind you, I broke an exhaust hanger and killed a 5 speed box on the way home! Tis fine if you don't need and gears bar 3rd and 5th! Lucky I have a spare!

JP

yeah she sure was rich when i followed u from aireys inlet to the beach u went to u took of and a huge puf of black smoke came out :blinks:

Least u didnt have a can behind ur car lol :glare:

We all had a good laugh when u kept trying to start it in the morn or when we stopped but it cam good after a while :lolcry:

Sorry to hear about the gearbox but good work u got a spare :wink:

see ya

jimi

JP

Well who won the g/box sweep then? Lucky you have enough torque to pull through those missed gears.

I have a bit of a noisy k50 at home if you want me to bring it up Sunday? You might want to make a good one out of the two. Oh it also has a ksev extension housing too.

Stu.

Hahaha, the "what's going to break first?" sweep is a mystery, I'm can't remember who had gearbox! Most people thought the diff would go and that it would have gone by now!

As for the spare box keep it for a while, I will put the spare in and go from there. This one was a bit noisy so I assume it was on the way out anyway, as far as I know the other ksev one is fine... Will find out soon.

Also looking to swap diffs out of the ke11, if the ratios are any better I would be pretty happy. At the moment I have enough torque to leave the line in 3rd without breaking a sweat, first is almost useless and second isn't much better. I'm assuming the auto gears are 4.3:1 or something like that? I want to go lower fpr sure.

JP