Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Advice Needed On Daily Work Horse

Featured Replies

G`day mate, I`ve got a 1988 FJ62 Landcruiser as a daily. I`ve had it for 10 years and it has 300,000k on the clock. I`ve been everywhere in the bloody thing and towed some loads that would stop an elephant and I won`t be getting rid of it any time soon.. So far I haven`t had to replace anything that is not a consumable and the old jigger would still get me to Melbourne and back without any trouble.

The only drawback is fuel. It gets about 15-19 mpg. (you do the math for litres per 100k)

Its big, roomy, rides fairly well and has no bloody computers to stuff up in the middle of the bush. Carby, points, coil etc same as a 4k.

You`ll find a few on ebay at the moment for not much money and they represent really good value for your dollar. You can easily use it as a daily and then go climb mountains on the weekends and never really lose money on the old things. After market parts are readily available and fairly priced.

Personally I would stay away from old diesels and stick with the petrol motor. Fuel consumption is a bit different but the price of both kinda evens that out anyway. You or your mates can easily work on a petrol engine, but about all a back yarder can do to a diesel is wash it and change the filters etc..

 

Anyway mate, thats my two bob worth and I hope it helps you make a decision.

Old Fella.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seriously, they are THE most uncomfortable and unegonomic vehicle I've ever driven. They have kidney belts that fall from the roof when you hit a big enough bump.

 

You obviously haven't driven a very good example of one. The original Land Rovers really are very uncomfortable lol but the Defenders, when set up right, aren't too bad at all and will go anywhere.

I suppose it wasn't a very good suggestion as a good one will probably set him back a bit more than his price range.

You obviously haven't driven a very good example of one. The original Land Rovers really are very uncomfortable lol but the Defenders, when set up right, aren't too bad at all and will go anywhere.

I suppose it wasn't a very good suggestion as a good one will probably set him back a bit more than his price range.

 

Hahahah. Well, Reguardless of comfort or reliability - your going to cry when the lucas smoke escapes, and your there with a virtual fishing net trying to catch a hive of bee's.

 

http://carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/de...6&silo=1011

 

HJ75RV Troopy. That there will keep working until the time of dawn no longer exists.

 

For me, there is no further options. lol

 

$.02'

You obviously haven't driven a very good example of one. The original Land Rovers really are very uncomfortable lol but the Defenders, when set up right, aren't too bad at all and will go anywhere.

I suppose it wasn't a very good suggestion as a good one will probably set him back a bit more than his price range.

 

 

I've driven them virtually new. You are right, they will go anywhere, as long as anywhere is within 30 minutes drive, otherwise it's six weeks of physio. I agree with the correctly set-up statement, but you shouldn't have to spend dollars to make a car driveable.

Edited by Redwarf

I'm starting to lean towards an early 90's Hilux Surf. They would be ideal for work and fun for weekends. There's plenty out there in my price range, even if I have to go interstate to get it, I would for the right one. Was looking at insurance on the internet for one, and it's not cheap, but that's what you get for full comprehensive. Pretty much the computer told me it would cost $1900 a year, but I think that if I was to go there in person I might get a better deal. What do you guys reckon?

If its the two door turbo version, its classed as a sports car for insurance because of the turbo and two doors. Even knowing that its a 4wd oil burner

If its the two door turbo version, its classed as a sports car for insurance because of the turbo and two doors. Even knowing that its a 4wd oil burner

 

My LN61 was a turbo 2 door... But It was still classed as commercial 'cos it was full chassis 4wd

I'm with Red on the Commodore.

 

I picked up a VZ Commodore for $8K with 80K on the clock, yeah it as no style, yeah my wife hates it, yeah it goes through a bit of juice, but it does the daily grind with the stuff for the kid well etc and I don't get looked at twice in it.

 

Except for when I am in Elizabeth and every second person wants me to rip a fully sick skid :)

 

*for those who don't know Elizabeth is the home of the Holden Plant, where almost everyone has a Commodore which is 25 years old clapped out and wants to do skids in it ;) :wink: :laff:

Get a landcruiser, and then get a really big sticker on the front windscreen that says LANDCRUISER.

 

 

Or, if you like 4wding, get a patrol, ever wondered why all the landcruiser comp trucks have patrol running gear??

Get a landcruiser, and then get a really big sticker on the front windscreen that says LANDCRUISER.

 

 

Or, if you like 4wding, get a patrol, ever wondered why all the landcruiser comp trucks have patrol running gear??

 

Mate, lets not talk comp trucks hey. Toyota diffs and transmissions are so much stronger than Nissan that it is not funny. Some, yes some, not all, comp trucks are converted to coil spring suspension for more flex, but only by the people that don`t know the wizardry behind double spring hangers and whinch operated leaf springs.

I`ve owned 3 nissan patrols and 2 landcruisers in my time and I would never go backwards to a nissan. Have you ever thought why most "cow cockies" drive Toyotas? Coz they`re tough and they`re not made out of recycled oil drums.

The only thing that I discovered about Nissans in the bush is the fact that there is usually a Toyota recovery vehicle close to get them out of trouble.

Think before flapping gums.

Old Fella.

Mate, lets not talk comp trucks hey. Toyota diffs and transmissions are so much stronger than Nissan that it is not funny.

Mate, could almost turn into a slugging match on which is stronger - toyota, ford 9in or Dana. And i wouldn't even touch the 9in, unless it's been modified.

Double spring hangers :) thats something i haven't heard for a while. Get it right and.....

 

Back on topic - one thing to note on a 4wd, more maintenance (depends on which way you look at it but) and a bit more fuel. But if you go for a diesel, look into lpg injection ;)

  • Author

All very good points of view and advice. I love seeing old troopy's and landcruisers on the road, but for something that I will be driving daily and in some cases need to park in inconvenient, busy places, I need it to be a comfortable drive as well as ballsy. Which is why I'm still lovin the look of a Hilux Surf.

Like this one: LINK

 

Cheers for all the help guys. Keep it comin.

Jason

  • Author

Even better, in Adelaide, in my price range, and 5 speed. LINK

Mate, lets not talk comp trucks hey. Toyota diffs and transmissions are so much stronger than Nissan that it is not funny. Some, yes some, not all, comp trucks are converted to coil spring suspension for more flex, but only by the people that don`t know the wizardry behind double spring hangers and whinch operated leaf springs.

I`ve owned 3 nissan patrols and 2 landcruisers in my time and I would never go backwards to a nissan. Have you ever thought why most "cow cockies" drive Toyotas? Coz they`re tough and they`re not made out of recycled oil drums.

The only thing that I discovered about Nissans in the bush is the fact that there is usually a Toyota recovery vehicle close to get them out of trouble.

Think before flapping gums.

Old Fella.

 

A true blooded cruiser bloke, i didnt know it took an entire diff conversion just to get coils? Going to a weaker diff 'just' for their coil suspension?

Ive seen too many bent cruiser diffs to number, nuff said.

subaru forester is another suggestion i picked my minr up 05 model 85 thousand k's for 8400 with 12moth rego but i think it was a rare find but i have heard anything bad about them other than the non turbo auto r a little slugish when u tramp it off the lights but you have to expect that

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.