Limits Of Ke20 Wheel Arches ?

Doogs

Thanks guys.

I have not completely ruled out using TE27 flares, still unsure of how good they would look on a 20 though...

(I also want the car to be a bit of a sleeper for a while, so flares would not help this.)

Cheers,

Dougal

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 185/60 13 on the front and 206/60/13 on the rear.

Was running Mazda RX3 steel rims for years, but picked up a set of 13*6 -11 Hyashi Street's

With the mazda rims 185's sat inside the guards nicely

205's very occasionally just rubbed on rear guard with round people in the back over a big bump with the mazda rims. WE very rarely had anyone in the back though. I reckon if I had rolled the rear guards it would have been fine.

With the Hyashi's the front and rear guards are very full ( deoesnt worry me as I'm putting flares on anyway). Looks bloody nice though :(

If you like a fat look in the rear 205's will be ok with the right offset, otherwise go 185's and youll have no problems at all.

No worries, looking forward to seeing your build finished. progress looks great so far.

I'm just about to start a stripdown of mine , so have the same to look forward to.

As it is going to only be a club racer while I wont do a crappy job, I also wont be looking for a show finish either.

Just saving up for a set of extractors, and to have the carb's rebuilt.

Cheers

Dale

I'd be asking myself what do you want? Do you want the best possible performance, or do you want maximum pose potential.

If you are after the best all round handling wet or dry go a 185/60... Wider tyres may look tough, but aquaplane more easily in the wet.

Tyres are best matched to rimsize. Most tyre manufacturers recommend a 6" rim width for a 185 tyre.

7" just fitted under the front on my 25, the offset of the wheel nearly touched the strut on the inside, plus i had to use camber tops to pull them in from the guard, 6" would be a heap less hassel.

7" will tuck easily on the rear, the problem is you will need a different offset to the front to get inside the guards. I was using 195 tyres front and rear.

If you prefer the stretched look then disregard all this, I'm talking about having rim and tire under the car, and inside the wheel arch.

• 4 months later...

Doogs

one way you can work out how big a wheel you can fit under your guards is to measure the maximum width from the wheel arch to the inner body panel allowing for clearance/tyre flex

then work out where the rotor/drum face meets the wheel back face in relation to your maximum width measurement this should give u the positive and negative offsets you require to then find a wheel to suit hope this may help a little

yeah its all up in the air really with the combination of tyre rolling diameter, width and offset and then

strut perch clearance, internal chassis clearance and external guard clearance...

but i think the magic figures for maximum space you can work in for a stock ke25 with the same wheels all around and that

needs to corner is 195/15/50 tyre with an offset of +13p from the centre of the tyre to retain factory clearances

for body roll, steering and strut perch internally and still just clear factory guards externally with rears lipped and

fronts lipped.

its all about tyres and offset and whether you run a set of matched rims or mismatched rims front and rear...

rim width doesnt matter as its always under tyre width and rim diameter doesnt matter as its always under tyre

rolling diameter (disregarding large tyre stretch methods over small rims).

i have seen so many wheels that rub and scrub with stupid tyre stretch its actually normal these days...

i hardly ever see a set of aftermarket wheels that are the correct fit besides stock! thats because its all about

looks and hardly about function unfortunately!

remember also very important is the difference with independent suspension and live axle with relation to movement

for guard clearance, check the motion to figure out clearance.

Edited by styler