Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How To Write

Featured Replies

  • Replies 51
  • Views 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Gold.     Here's my spelling/grammar pet peeves;   -alot -loose instead of lose -would of. I would of done this, I would of done that..... It's would HAVE people, would HAVE! Or you can use an

  • what i don't understand is when these so called "short" words take just as much typing and effort as the real thing....   i don't care much for spelling, i can't spell very well, but thanks to firef

  • Author

I don't mind if people genuinely struggle with spelling and grammar. In most cases, it can't be helped. I'd suggest that before they post something, to paste it into a word document and check the errors that occur, for future reference. :yes:

Some of the poor spelling and grammar I see on here astounds me. What is happening to the kids of today??

 

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but one thing school (and my parents) did teach me was at least a good grasp of spelling and grammar. It is such a basic tool in life and can get you more places than some other things you learn.

 

Posts like this get me riled up - example only

 

would u lyk to swop yr rolla wiv my commo bt it duznt cum wid thoz rims

 

Laugh if you like but I have seen crap like that here :yes: :hmm: :hmm: ;)

  • Author

I may only be 18, but my spelling isn't too shabby. :yes:

 

I can't grasp how people with quality education cannot write simple sentences. Yeah, I understand that many people have trouble with it and that can't be helped, but those who have finished high school should at least be able to string a few words together coherently.

I left school over 10 years ago, To me schooling back then was crap, Instead of talking about Shakespeare and poetry in English they should of taught us how to make a sentence and how to spell, It seems that all the major things go under the radar to be replaced with crap that people will probably never use again in their life, Like when the hell was the last time someone used a hypotenuse of a triangle, Most people still have to use a calculator and the last time I seen a times table used in a class room was in year 4.

Don't forget that a lot of members didn't go to school in aus, if you realise that you wont expect perfect spelling, TXT writing just shits me and should be dealt with

Also is that the correct Australian spelling for realized, I thought it was realised.

 

It's realised with an S man. Fight the Z! Keep the R in front of E! Keep the U in Colour!

 

I work for a big yankee company and all our microsoft programs are locked to the US spelling it drives me nuts!

 

Like when the hell was the last time someone used a hypotenuse of a triangle,

 

Yesterday haha. But I'm an engineer so I've got an excuse.

It's realised with an S man. Fight the Z! Keep the R in front of E! Keep the U in Colour!

 

I work for a big yankee company and all our microsoft programs are locked to the US spelling it drives me nuts!

 

 

 

Yesterday haha. But I'm an engineer so I've got an excuse.

 

I knew I was right about realised, Firefox spell checker is trying to fight me to use a Z, I had to ask because when you download something for Australia you expect to get Aus spelling too.

 

But being an engineer you would of studied all of that at UNI.

Public schooling is a failure. I went to private schooling during my first few years of school (grade 1 - 5). Then we moved house and I was forced to go to public schools.

The very first thing I noticed was the level of education which was very low. I was doing things in grade 6 that I had already covered in grade 3 at the private school.

On top of that I was forced to write in block lettering when I was already fluent in cursive. What really angers me is that they dumb down the curriculum just so they can say "oh look our pupils are really smart" when in fact they are only teaching BASIC mathematics at grade 7. Then on top of that they are now complaining about the national testing because the results will really show why the teachers do not deserve a pay raise. I have heard that the teachers are encouraging the learning impaired students to skip school on the test dates so that they do not drag down the final results.

f@$king stupid. Feel free to scour through my post on how the top notch curriculum failed to teach me proper sentence construction.

My biggest fear is the next generation that shows no respect to anyone and have intelligence lower than that of a goldfish, complainig that their dole payments are too low and all the foreigners are taking their jobs that they never bother applying for. /end rant/

With evolution and all that we should be getting smarter.

 

It would seem this is not the case :yes:

I knew I was right about realised, Firefox spell checker is trying to fight me to use a Z, I had to ask because when you download something for Australia you expect to get Aus spelling too.

 

Hey Trev if you aren't using the Australian dictionary in Firefox, right click on your message reply, go to Languages and then select "Add Dictionaries". From there you can download and install the English (Australian) Dictionary and set it as default.

 

When I see posts where people don't make the effort forming their question, I generally don't make an effort to reply. I realise nobody is perfect, but there is a difference between a few spelling mistakes and someone not giving a f@$k.

With evolution and all that we should be getting smarter.

 

In some ways, we are finding new ways everyday to get out of doing things we don't want to, and finding shortcuts to things which just take too damn long. Evolution is taking us towards the most efficient and compact language, which unfortunately means dropping letters and spelling things phonetically/intuitively, and Anglicising loan-words (something that should never happen, it is like customising a hire-ca

 

I for one refuse to welcome the new dumbed-down language overlords, I prefer to use the full language of the English people that I was raised to know and love. I also believe that the full stop, shift, and comma keys were put on the keyboard for a reason, and thus use them at every appropriate opportunity, even in text messages and emails.

  • Author

Here here!

 

Hiro, you've hit the nail on the noggin! :yes:

i can't spell to save myself, but then again when would I.

 

 

I'm very bad at this. I put my hand up and say sorry. I don't use text speak though.

 

once again I'm sorry

 

but i wish they focused more with spelling at school.

 

 

 

some times if i comment at 2 in the morning it gets worse.

Hey Trev if you aren't using the Australian dictionary in Firefox, right click on your message reply, go to Languages and then select "Add Dictionaries". From there you can download and install the English (Australian) Dictionary and set it as default.

 

When I see posts where people don't make the effort forming their question, I generally don't make an effort to reply. I realise nobody is perfect, but there is a difference between a few spelling mistakes and someone not giving a f@$k.

 

Sweet, Didn't know that, cheers.

 

In some ways, we are finding new ways everyday to get out of doing things we don't want to, and finding shortcuts to things which just take too damn long. Evolution is taking us towards the most efficient and compact language, which unfortunately means dropping letters and spelling things phonetically/intuitively, and Anglicising loan-words (something that should never happen, it is like customising a hire-ca

 

I for one refuse to welcome the new dumbed-down language overlords, I prefer to use the full language of the English people that I was raised to know and love. I also believe that the full stop, shift, and comma keys were put on the keyboard for a reason, and thus use them at every appropriate opportunity, even in text messages and emails.

 

Ian you would have to be the most punctuated person I know, Every post you make you go into depth to make sure people can understand what each word means, I don't get the _insertword_ thing you do though, what is it exactly?

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.