New Payout For Drift Wannabes?

Medicine_Man

D1GP is usually a battle between 2 cars, judging on corner entry speed, style, technique and linking up corners OR team drifting using the same judging criteria.

Touge is similar, except that its more of a "who can keep up with who or who can overtake the other person" by the end of the course/moutain pass.

Well, that's what I'm led to believe anyway.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i only know of shane bingham (white 86), beau yates (silver 4agte 86) i think he drives a wrx now, simon michelmore (black ca18 86), leighton fine (yellow 4agze) and some other guy who drives a brown one, that enter the comps.

Its not a black CA18 86 anymore, but yes, Simon. Well, thats how he comes across to me anyway after chattin to him a few times. He's now got a Powder Blue 20V AE86 thats supposedly looking more (jap-spec) than his other rides.

Check out memebers rides on toymods for it.

If I were to build a drift car, I know I'd put some individuality into it and not try to copy something thats already been done to death.

And no Mumblezz, not you :P

He doesent come across that way to me. I know Simon quite well and he's always been cool to talk to even back when I was a hachi noob. Also remember he can't always hear you properly and when your at the track your more focused on driving and being friendly and chatty to everyone that walks up to you is kind of at the back of your mind when your trying to find who the f@$k borrowed your cross brace.

It would seem to me that any truly highly skilled drivers go into other truer forms of motorsport rather than drifting as they wish to have an absolute result (ie. who drove the fastest rather than who gets greatest points for a drift). I'm sure that Michael Schumacher or Ayrton Senna or Tommi Makinen or Peter Brock could win many drift comps if they wanted to (with ease in some cases).

In an issue of Wheels from a couple of years back they were comparing Michael Schumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya. The bit of the article that really captured my attention and imagination was when they described Montoya chasing down Schumacher through a corner. Montoya came in pretty hot, a bit too hot as it turned out, and the in-car footage supposedly showed him catching the tail of his F1 car with one hand on the wheel, while the other was changing some setting in the car or something. He did a little drift, pulled nicely out of the corner, and not long after, overtook Schumacher. I just wished I'd seen the footage. Now that is how drifting should be in motorsport. Yes it was a mistake, but it was a beautifully corrected mistake. It wasn't a full opposite lock, slow maneuvre, just a bit of counter steer with the tail hanging out a little then straight back onto the racing line. Beautiful.

OMG

but if there was a "drift race" people would cheat and not drift in order to win, and it would be a competition to see who can drift the least :P

You are absolutely dead square on the mark. Hell, even Initial-D agrees with you. Check out the episode where Tak races against Zak in the R32. The R32 had him everywhere, it's just the driver wasn't the better man and the front end got shagged from being too heavy. If only they'd do an episode where they face reality and make Tak lose to someone following a proper racing line.

OMG

but if there was a "drift race" people would cheat and not drift in order to win, and it would be a competition to see who can drift the least  :D

Obviously you'd still hafta drift :angrybird:

Otherwise its justa race, not a drift race.

Personally I didn't think much of drifting and going sideways etc at all, to me the best kind of thrill is driving hard in the mountains, however I like the idea of no 2nd chance when driving so Rally appeals to me a lot.

Drifting to me has been brought from the underground in Japan and presented on a world platter, and if you know anything about Japanese moden culture you would know they like to be different, hence all the show pony stuff.

I respect drifting as it is technical and it does require skill, personally I reakon the cars look fantastic however I like anything designed for race use that looks different.

I still wouldn't mind to get a RWD and give it a go and see if I like it.