To Do Up 3K Or Find A 5K

JordyKE

Just after some advice on whether to mod up a 3K ie, extractors, 32/36 weber, maybe some headwork, pistons/rings......etc.

Or Buy a 5K. :bash: I know 5K's are hard to come by hence why i'm kind of after a 3K which are a lot easier to find and a lot cheaper.

I have two cars with 3K's however i want to keep them all together. :blush:

And i've also read up on this. A lot of good tips in here. Which have really tempted me to build up my own 3K.

http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?title=Tech:Engine/K_Series/How_to_build_a_tough_K_motor

:hmm:

Members dont see this ad

5k is a newer motor, so whatever you do to the 3k, it will never be as good as if you did all the same stuff to the 5k.

5k's arent that rare and hard to come by, see them up forsale everynow and then, you will hvae to go looking for them. they come out in a van or something, so hit up the van wreckers. you might have to ring around alot, but can't be that hard to find one.

In Aus 5k's came in KM36 Liteaces. They're not really that rare, you just need to be prepared to pay what the seller is asking... in comparison to a 3k or 4k.

You could always just check a weber and a set of extractors on one of your 3k's, and then keep your eye out for a 5k. The extractors and webe could then be fitted to the 5k also.

I bought 2 5K's in pieces, for 100 bucks each. Not hard to come buy, if you need a good motor in a hurry call Peter Robinson automotive in Oakleigh. Otherwise, keep your eyes open here.

The only sensible reason to build a 3K over a 5K is because certain racing classes will require you to run a 3K. Otherwise, 5K is by far the best bet.

If your just gonna throw a couple of bucks at a donk. Cheap and sleazy. Pick up a 4k. Bigger than a 3k and far easier to find than a 5k. Result will be better than a 3k.

Or put in the time and the money and do a 5k...

3k are sweet if your car weighs f@$k all and you'v e got the coin to make it sing a merry tune to 9000rpm.... you'd still be better off puting that coin into a 5k~!

Considering everyones comments I think i'd definitely be better off trying to find a 5K. Although everyone i've come across are usually around $500. If i could find one in pieces or with a blown head gasket or something like that, that would be great.

And then it's forking out the money for extractors which would easy set me back $300+ i think.

I guess i could just try and get some Extractors and the 32/36 weber carby and fit it to my 3K for the time being until i can find a 5K at a reasonable price in reasonable condition to fit what i had already bought for the 3K

Does anyone happen to know of anyone selling in Victoria??

Cheers everyone

• 2 weeks later...

ive a 4k (1.3) the best part is nearly every item to change on a 4k is interchangerable to a 5k

though when you do what ive done mcguyvered a vacumm advance into the dizzy

original air filter ontop of a 32/36 holley etc it gets messy but its still all bolt on bolt off or is it bolt off bolt on ? :P

Apparently you need a 'commercial' block to bore it out safely to 80.5mm

These have thicker walls / less prone to core shift.

Crank is the same.

This is what I've read so don't take it as gospel :P

But a few people on here have done it

What's the max bore you can hit a 4K with? Will the block take 5K pistons??

The stroke is the same so I assume they share a crank.

Edited by KENut