Looking For A Ke10 Project, Have $1000 To Spend!

Gavclassic

Take some advice from some one who does this for a living: if your after a KE10 Corolla for a project and only have a few hundred to a grand to spend, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME & MONEY. Just wait and save till you can get a fairly decent one for around $3000 - $6000. The amount of people i see on this forum who have just bought one and need front guards, a bonnet, bumpers and other bits because they have bought a rusty dented example is wrong. I get for good front guards $300 each and a bonnet can be up to $600, not to mention good doors at $200 and bumpers start at $100. Add all that up and the cost of painting and the time to fit it all up you might as well have just spent $4500 and bought a fairly reasonable one that you can enjoy straight away.

I pay $500 - $1500 to get a car just for a couple of good panels, would never think about restoring it !. Its just not an sound economical decision !!. Your new project just ends up turning into a nightmare and a big money pit that you get sick of and end up selling for about what you paid for it in the beginning even though you've spent plenty on it.

Some of you may think i ask plenty of money for the cars i sell but i don't usually have trouble finding new owners for them. They are very good examples though! Same as i can't believe how many good cars are advertised on this forum that no one buys, the good cars are no longer cheap !.

Members dont see this ad

I completely agree. The first KE10 I purchased was what I thought in good condition. It had a shitload of rust and the left rear 1/4 looked like a nana cleaned up a small pole. Destroyed the rear guards, I put 3 months of work into the body, and I mean like 5-6 hours just about every afternoon getting it right. I purchased 2 KE10's just over a week ago for $1500 and one is a little battered and the other one is original, no accidents, very little bog and was freshly resprayed with a 5k motor in it.

It's cheaper to buy something in tip top condition for 4 grand than pay 500 for something thats complete but smashed to bits and battered all over!

I completely agree. The first KE10 I purchased was what I thought in good condition. It had a shitload of rust and the left rear 1/4 looked like a nana cleaned up a small pole. Destroyed the rear guards, I put 3 months of work into the body, and I mean like 5-6 hours just about every afternoon getting it right. I purchased 2 KE10's just over a week ago for $1500 and one is a little battered and the other one is original, no accidents, very little bog and was freshly resprayed with a 5k motor in it.

It's cheaper to buy something in tip top condition for 4 grand than pay 500 for something thats complete but smashed to bits and battered all over!

ht It's not cheap to restore and even to start a KE10 project. You need Funds (which is way way bigger than your current budget), Passion and a lot of Patience since parts for this car is not easy to find. if you have the F.P.P. then start it right away, the joy and prestige of restoring a KE10 is very fulfilling.

On the side note: I need a KE10 grille emblem. anyone that can help me???

+1!

I should add aswell, they too complain it becomes too expensive once begining the project, try cutting corners, time and money becomes an issue.......bla bla bla! If they can't factor in estimated future costs and time needed, realise they don't have the skills and don't want to learn properly, and can't see the overall picture, IMO they shouldnt bother in the first place,

ive had my rant........

cheers phatke30!

Edited by phatke30

Meh. I can strongly disagree. I payed $250 for mine and the only thing missing is a chrome strip down the side.

And a mate has a smashed ke10 i can get a new guard off if i find mine unrepairable.

I did a lot of research before i got mine and worked out what i wanted to spend and what i'd most likely end up spending.

I'll be doing all the work on mine myself.

It's not meant to be on the road anytime soon and i wont rush it just so it can be.

Edited by Jono.C

I don't know what surprises me more in here - the fact that Gavclassic started this slightly controversial topic or the fact that the guy above me honestly thinks a $250 KE10 is a good idea.

I have owned a $3500 KE11 and it was worth every cent. Hence I sold it for the same money.

I won't repeat what Gav has said, it is all true.

I would buy a car off of Gav blindfolded, because I know it would be THAT good :dance:

Mate, i bought it for a project to do it exactly how i want it. I didnt say it was good? I said it was mostly all there which is a start.

And if people just kept buying cars for parts and crushing the shell's instead of spendin a little time and doing them up then you'd see a lot more of them on the road.

Edited by Jono.C

I have had my KE15 in storage since I bought it a little over a year and a half ago. Since then, I have spent time (too much) nearly every day on the internet sourcing parts to rebuild it. A bit here, a bit there, and not all KE15 specific. I have various places I search all over the world.

I can tell you it is hard work finding things in good condition.

Happily I'm in no rush whilst I get around to finishing my other car. Just don't be in a hurry.

It never ceases to amaze me how often apparently immaculate low mileage cars turn up though.

Edited by parrot

Hey Gavclassic what are you stressing about mate this is the best $437 with change in the ash tray I have spent.

post-8046-014496300 1300280755_thumb.jpg

Sure its had a couple of dings and has a bit of rust here and there but one day this old piece of crap will turn heads and be our beach cruiser. I wish I had a grand to spend mate.

For me dedication to restoration has a rewarding nature which out ways the costs involved. Peace

post-8046-079128100 1300280998_thumb.jpg

I agree with Gav, but that's not to say that good deals don't exist.

Chestikoph's car was a killer price, I agree Gav, and I would love to buy another clean KE1x some day but not right now with a wedding and big honeymoon on the horizon this year.

Some day I'd love to stack some cash and sit and patiently wait for tidy, driving, clean, maybe resto, maybe good original KE17 SL to come up. But I'll pay top dollar, there's no way I'll bother with a project.

Edited by philbey

Some may know or have seen my overrated one owner ke10 . i just sold it for $6500. The new owner knew what he was buying within seconds. This car would have to be as original as they come from factory. Only reason i sold it was i had an offer i couldn't refuse and i just don't use the car enough to justify letting it sit around in the garage.

I'm glad Gav has placed this thread cos I'm sick of having low ball callers offering me shit money for top quality cars. I had another car and held it for a guy for over 4 months. Everytime he called he said yep ill take it. i said if your serious put down a decent deposit and ill hold it for you. Then i sell to another buyer for even more than i was going to get from him. 2 days after i sold it , he rings back and said have you still got the car. I said maybe you should have waited a few more months. When he asked me how much i sold it for , he was speechless. Just goes to show these cars are now getting to be worth alot more. And for the record i sold both cars off the one add. Saved the selling fees :yes:

thats just my 2 cents worth , and thanks Gav for making people aware of this.

Edited by te27

• 1 month later...

Hahah Gav you speak the truth.

Unfortunately Corolla owners are tightarses, and I thought Mazda owners were! :lolcry: :lolcry:

I tried to sell my fairly overrated KE11 a few years back for $6k.

Reco motor, reco box, suspension and bushes all new, new paint, retrimmed interior list goes on.

Ended up selling for $4.5k which I thought was a bargain.

I also don't know where people get off on offering me stupid money for prices.

There a select few GENUINE people who I will help out ( you know who you are ) lol.

Others, really.. Do not bother asking me for rust or dent free panels lololol :blinks: :blinks: really? lol

You all want immac stuff, have to start realising that these cars are 40 years old.

Can't remember the last time I saw one actually on the road.

Last one that was on the road before mine was the Yellow Ke11 that went to Adelaide :fuzz: