December 31, 201213 yr Author comment_641841 be real careful about that pickup surface, its not something i would use a sander machine on. love your work all the same thinga are going well. Thanks. Can you explain why you say this? It needed facing after the welding. Report
December 31, 201213 yr comment_641851 The sander just doesnt provide the flat surface that you would think, try gently and precisely running a hand file over the surface and afterward look at what the file has actually touched, usually with the sander the surface will taper off toward the edges. It might be ok, but generally i've found its not real good. Report
January 1, 201313 yr Author comment_641859 You realise I'm a cabinetmaker and I machine, sand and linish things flat all the time? I have a perfectly true steel backed disc wheel with a properly applied grit. I'm not too worried to be honest. Yes caution is required but Ive been linishing almost everything including my modified header flange and its all worked perfectly so far. Report
January 2, 201313 yr Author comment_642086 Just received the small undercar surge tank. Its about 1.2 litres I think. I might need to cut off the bottom barb and tap for the right size, but its easily done. Also got a pump bracket from the same seller. Looks to be some high quality welding. Edited January 2, 201313 yr by LittleRedSpirit Report
January 2, 201313 yr Author comment_642090 Me too. I have options being that I have the after market cell. However I'm wondering whether its worth all the custom sheet metal to make that happen under the floor like I wanted, or if its worth just bunging a ke70 fuel tank into it (that I have on the shelf) and cramming this thing next to it. Edited January 2, 201313 yr by LittleRedSpirit Report
January 5, 201313 yr Author comment_642430 Smashed the F diff open today. Literally, haha. I fitted the baffles which just absolutely fit like a glove as per factory, even though the diff wasn't equipped with them originally. Thanks to Sam Q for supplying those. What a great resolution. :clover: It all went back together nicely. Sealed with Toyota black sealant. :paw: Very happy. :yes: Now the only issue will be handbrake cables, I hope, being drums, its as simple as using the ke70 cables. I also met Chris and Tony Scott today. It was good to finally put a face to a name after previous conversations I've had with Chris on the phone, and of course to meet the 2 guys responsible for what I think is the most epic car on Rollaclub, with the results to back it up. :drinks: Edited August 7, 20179 yr by LittleRedSpirit Report
January 5, 201313 yr comment_642432 Just received the small undercar surge tank. Its about 1.2 litres I think. I might need to cut off the bottom barb and tap for the right size, but its easily done. Also got a pump bracket from the same seller. Looks to be some high quality welding. I bought that exact same surge tank, it's a bit of a squeeze to fit it in next to the stock fuel tank (behind the panhard mount but in front of the fuel tank), I had to modify to mounting bracket on the surge tank and put a smallish dent into the stock fuel tank to make room for it. Other than that I was very happy with it :y: Edit: Just realised this is an AE86 not *E7* like mine, so what I said about fitting the surge tank might not apply. Edited January 5, 201313 yr by rian Report
January 5, 201313 yr Author comment_642436 It will be much the same, that said, I don't mind making small modifications. Cheers. :thumbsup: Report
January 5, 201313 yr comment_642457 I cut out the floor in the T18 made a frame welded to rails to hold fuel cell under car and lift it half way through floor with the undercar surge tank. Put a new floor in cut hole for cell and boxed it up with a removable lid, can't just leave it open for CAMS events and well I wouldn't want to anyway, haha. Edited January 5, 201313 yr by 19914afc Report
January 5, 201313 yr comment_642463 I had the surge tank before Rian! ;P Its really good. I just cut one of the "tabs" off. This is the photo I showed him. I didn't have to dent my tank though. Report
January 6, 201313 yr Author comment_642611 Insulated the surge tank with some medium density self adhesive sheet from Clark rubber. Should help deflect any debris and hopefully stop the swirl pot from absorbing any radiant heat. Also becomes less noticeable. I also did a bit of cleaning up on the edges of the fuel pump bracket and installed a splined stud for it so its easy to fit the pump with one tool. I rubber lined the base of it. My plan is to make a rubber lined plate to mount it all to from aluminium and fit it as a unit with pump and surge tank all together. Hopefully the multiple layers of rubber mounting keep the fuel pumps quiet. Edited August 7, 20179 yr by LittleRedSpirit dead photos Report
January 14, 201313 yr Author comment_643635 Did some more on this now. I took the new motor to work today and modified it for rwd. I cut away the alloy for the starter. I also Modified the heater hose that protrudes backwards (shortened it to miss the firewall. I drilled and tapped the m12 hole in the rear of the motor that was just drilled and not tapped. I also modified the left engine mount to clear the dipstick, and rebent the dipstick tube into a more rwd friendly shape. I collected the gearbox from diff lapping and cleaned the outside of it a bit, then I refitted the bellhousing, torqued the bolts to 35NM and then put it aside. Tomorrow I can bolt the motor and box together and setup the flywheel and clutch system that Ive created, and do some final testing and checking of the clutch forks operation. Once I have motor and box united, Ill fiddle with the accessories till its ready to drop into the chassis and Ill have to put it aside till my coil overs come back and I can get it rolling and do some more work on it. I'm also wondering if I can easily delete the factory oil warmer/cooler arrangement. Edited August 7, 20179 yr by LittleRedSpirit Report
January 15, 201313 yr Author comment_643728 Hopefully after today, I have the motor n box together and they wont need to come apart again, and the thing can be glad wrapped and put aside for later fitment when the shell gets finished. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now