The Off-Topic Thread

rian

Members dont see this ad

Hmm I thought it had something to do with them being adjustable too. I'm already leaning towards normal struts anyway as itll probably never see a track. But in saying that I want to weld ke70 lower perches onto xt struts... Be hard to tell they aren't stock though. Coil overs on the other hand...

the other problem is.

how do you run a lowered car, with short stroke shocks, without cutting and welding the shock tube?

potentially a grey area. could give an engineer a call.

i tried calling a few engineers about it a few yrs ago, didnt get very far.

the other problem is.

how do you run a lowered car, with short stroke shocks, without cutting and welding the shock tube?

Spacers in the strut tubes.

The old Garage Dori site had an article on how its done.

"Fitting Corolla AE92 Front Shocks into Corona TT132 or AE86 Struts"

By the looks of it the only Garage Dori site now is the forum http://www.garagedori.com/

But with the spacer like that one you can run the risk of bottoming out

AE92 Inserts into AE86 front struts

Edit - so maybe a spacer at the top of the strut and a spacer at the bottom of the strut.

And there goes the rest of the arvo of internet for me, my boy wants youtube.

Edited by towe001

But with the spacer like that one you can run the risk of bottoming out

AE92 Inserts into AE86 front struts

Edit - so maybe a spacer at the top of the strut and a spacer at the bottom of the strut.

And there goes the rest of the arvo of internet for me, my boy wants youtube.

T3 spacer does goes at the top of the strut tube?

I don't see why more people don't just cut the strut tube shorter and tap a new thread into the top of the strut for a gland nut? That way you don't have to weld anything, but allows you to use short stroke shocks. There's a fair length of strut tube above the spring perch that could be removed.

See the pic, above the spring perch but below the gland nut: all that length could potentially be removed.

1zqvomt.jpg

"just cut the strut tube shorter and tap a new thread into the top of the strut for a gland nut"

I was going to do that for mine, looked into getting the thread taps on the internet and everything, but another look at the strut showed the top of it where it is threaded has been machined out to a slightly larger size, and then had the thread cut. So there is no potential rubbing of the thread onto the shock itself

And by then it was going to be far too much work to machine the inside of the strut :/

WebRep

currentVote

noRating

noWeight

Edit: ^^ What is this thing that keeps coming up in my posts???

Edited by BlueKsev