The New '86 Finally Arrives

altezzaclub

Members dont see this ad

Toyota actually invited a heap of the major tuning companies to inspect and drive it just the other day.

They fully expect it to be utterly molested, which is why you can buy a 'stripper' version with raw plastic bumpers and trims, no creature comforts and a 1180kg kerb weight.

Bottom left. Even has steelies, not even hubcaps :)

ft86specs2.jpg

Edit: Bigger pic

newfrs4.jpg

Edited by 7shades

They fully expect it to be utterly molested, which is why you can buy a 'stripper' version with raw plastic bumpers and trims, no creature comforts and a 1180kg kerb weight. Even has steelies, not even hubcaps :)

TAXSHI !! :drinks:

Edited by carbonboy

Todays SMH- http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/land-of-the-rising-fun-20111201-1o8x7.html

Toyota launched a new coupe, the 86, at this week's show in an attempt to add zest to a line-up considered by many as dependable but dull. The rear-wheel-drive coupe, a joint venture with Subaru, is pitched as an affordable sports car that can be modified and raced at weekends. On a Toyota stand plastered with banners saying ''Reborn'', Toyoda said the company had to return to cars that were ''fun to drive''.

Toyota adopted the catchphrase ''Fun to drive'' in the 1980s but the demise of sports cars such as the Supra, Celica and MR2 has given the slogan a hollow ring in recent years. At this week's show, Toyota executives all wore badges saying ''Fun to drive, again''.

Toyoda, a car enthusiast who has raced at the Nurburgring 24-hour race, is leading the charge.

''Personally, I love the smell of gasoline and the sound of an engine, so I hope that this type of vehicle never disappears,'' hesaid. ''I hope that motor vehicles will continue to provide dreams and inspiration to people for all eras. I believe that if it is not fun, it is not a car.''

The man who oversaw the development of the new Toyota coupe, chief engineer Tetsuya Tada, said the sports car rebirthwas unlikely to end with the 86.

He would like to see a smaller and a larger sports car to complement the 86, with the larger car a natural successor to the Supra.

He said the development of the 86 marked a new period at Toyota where every new car program no longer had to meet high-volume and high-profit criteria.

''If we followed the conventional approach, it would just turn out to be a boring car but universally acceptable,'' he said. ''That was our concern from the beginning.

''Rather than producing a car with universal appeal, we stuck to our pursuit of a real sports car.''

While Toyota universally celebrates the arrival of the 86, Subaru Australia is still undecided about whether to import its version of the car, the BRZ, because the car does not have the company's trademark all-wheel-drive underpinnings.

But in the clearest hint yet he might launch the car in this country, the managing director of Subaru Australia, Nick Senior, told journalists the car had appeal because it was ''fun to drive''.

''It's a driver's car,'' he said. ''Idrove the car and I think the more time you spend with the car it sort of clouds the decision making — in a good way.''

Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ

It's been nicknamed the Toyobaru but is it more Subaru or Toyota?

Toyota's 86 and Subaru's BRZ are twins under the skin, with Subaru providing the basic engine and suspension layout and Toyota donating the gearbox, styling and product planning.

The local boss of Subaru, Nick Senior, is adamant the offspring of this unlikely marriage takes after the Subaru side of the family, despite the fact it does without the company's trademark all-wheel-drive underpinnings.

''The product planning and the design was done by Toyota but the rest is a Subaru,'' he says. ''And I think the rest is the DNA piece that gives it its driving characteristics. It's a fun car to drive.''

The 147kW, rear-wheel-drive coupe isdesigned to be a low-cost sports car that lends itself to aftermarket tuning. Its Toyota name, the 86, harks back to the Toyota Corolla Sprinter AE86.

The chief engineer for the project, Toyota's Tetsuya Tada, admits the Subaru and Toyota teams did not always see eye to eye during the car's development.

''Both Toyota and Subaru have their own philosophy and pride in car making,'' he says. ''There was a lot of frustration, arguments and discussions.''

While Toyota has announced it will begin selling the car in Australia in June, Subaru Australia has yet to commit to it.

From toyota australias website:

"The rear seatbacks fold down to the front to create a luggage space that can accommodate four sports wheels or two golf bags."

Sounds like they expect people to drift it on the weekends.

In Saturday's paper,

"Tada (Tetsuya Tada, cheif engineer) says weekend warriors will find enough space in the tail for a spare set of wheels for drifting and a toolbox."

Certainly sounds like it!

Meh. Struggling to get excited about this thing. I don't mind the front, the side glass from A pillar to C pillar looks very Porsche Cayman and the tail lights are an almost direct lift from a BMW Z4.

Power has been quoted around the 150kw mark (more or less), in a car that weights between 1200kg to 1350kegs (depends who's telling the story).

Remember the ZZE123R Sportivo Corolla's. I was so excited about that thing, and soooo pissed off when my mates dirty, flogged out, shit box, high mileage 6cyl auto VL Commodore could keep up. WTF!.

Wondering of this thing is going to be more of the same?.

From toyota australias website:

"The rear seatbacks fold down to the front to create a luggage space that can accommodate four sports wheels or two golf bags."

Sounds like they expect people to drift it on the weekends.

The FT-86.... aimed at drifters and golfers alike!

Frankly, I'm excited about it. While I likely wont be queuing to get the first one out the showroom, I'm gonna book myself a test drive. I read a test drive article the other day and it sounds like the claims of being a drivers car are accurate. I'm with shady, mx5s are fun and if this thing is anything like that, it will be a blast

I'm surprised by all the haters. Sure Toyota haven't done anything interesting in years but this appears to be a step In The right direction

I'll be VERY suprised if subaru brings in their version, as stated up there, it throws out the 'we have the safest cars that have simetrical all-wheel-drive' trade mark.

I'ts certainly ugly from the back, hopefully they will release a sportier version with different wheels and a rear bumper perhaps, spruce it up a bit. The front is cool though.

hopefully the interiour build quality is up to scratch, as its a reasonably cheap car for a sporty brand newy (under 30 yeah?) hate to destroy it with a poxy plastic interiour.