Who'S At Fault

Des

Members dont see this ad

As usual the woman driver is in the wrong.

But in a serious note, you planned for an opening, took action in indicating. You had no room to brake or merge safely due to another driver not being alert to the traffic ahead. Drivers on the road should allow traffic to flow not inhibit it. As long as you're in front of the following car and indicate to change lanes they should make room or loose the front end of the car. Within reason of course

Agree with what most of you are saying. On my way in to work there are a few places where I have to get over from a left hand merge than over to the right hand lane. There is never going to be a "gap" so I indicate early then start to move over... I always wave once someone lets me in (though I never gave them a choice). Only ever had one person get upset, I politely showed him the finger :yes:

I have exactly this happen very regularly on my way home from work......

Difference being it's always a large Subaru, and they hang just behind my rear quarter for the entire length of the overtaking lane before trying make their move in the last hundred meters.....

I've gotten to the point where I just have to indicate early and move into the space that *was* free a few seconds ago...... :glare:

Same thing happened to me recently; I had a clear gap, I indicated and went to move into it. I was technically giving way, the car was behind me and we were matched for speed. They sped up and I continued across. Even with the speed up, I was still clear, albeit somewhat closer. I got a letter from the cops, they actually reported me. No fine, it's a simple 'don't do it'. I will be responding.

If the lane is 'zippered' like the diagram, your lane ends and you have to give way. If it's just a lane line that ceases, the car in front has right of way.

I think (need to confirm) but the law for giving way is that if another car has to vary speed (or lane change) by a certain amount to avoid collision, it's a failure to give way. Pulling in front of someone isn't necessarily a failure to give way.

i was always taught , if a car in front of you indicates to merge it was against the road rules to speed up to get past them . if their speed was a lot faster it makes it harder , but they should have moved over before the merging lane ,which i assume is why they have signs for both stating merging lane ahead.