Old School Engine Conversions For Ke70?

ATOYOTA

Ok, Here's a question no one on earth has ever asked before: What's a good engine to drop into an '82 KE70?

But not so fast! It has to be old school so that rules out 4AGE/SR20.

2TG or 3T hybrid looks like a viable option, but from what I've read on the forums and ol mate Google, they're heavy and slow in comparison to modern fuel injected engines. Another way to go I hear is to do some work to the 4K in the form of carbs and headwork etc.

I don't have a set budget as I'm planning on keeping the rolla and therefore am not worried about overcapitalising. Having said that, I'm far from a corporate banking income so let's keep it realistic.

Oh, and another thing I should mention. I'm still on my P plates so I want to keep it legal in that respect (at least until one day, in dreamland, I dump a UZ into her). That's one reason why I'm fond of the T engines.

Wikipedia says these came out in the *E7* corollas:

1.3 L I4 4K

1.5 L I4 5K

1.5 L I4 3A

1.6 L I4 2T

1.6 L I4 12T

1.6 L I4 4A

1.8 L I4 3T

1.8 L I4 13T

1.8 L I4 1C diesel

Also while I've got you, what sort of gearbox/diff setup would I need to keep up with the increased engine performance?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 2T/3T hybrid with big cams will make power close to a stock 20V engine, just significantly rougher.

Now I say this seriously I would like to see that 1C diesel with a big turbo (relatively speaking) and front mount intercooler.

A diesel has crossed my mind, just for the sheer grunt they produce, but haven't given much thought for the 1C. One of the L engines found in Hiluxes would be nice if the injectors were more reliable and less dear-god-expensive to replace.

I know you can't have V8 but if you wanted real old school (forgot the engine code) the old toyota V8s that look like 2 3ts bolted together haha.

But a 3T can go well, mine out of my T18 went well enough to spin 3rd gear at QR with 120km/h entry's, and all I had was an exhaust with extractors and a double pumper weber which would have made ʞ©$ɟ all difference maybe 5 hp if I was lucky.

If you go with any of the above engine and keep them aspirated the std borg warner of a T series should hold up fine and then T50 should be alright as well.

Edited by 19914afc

4V i think ?

I'm a fan of 3tc's. I owned one in a t18 and it went well for an old motor. A mate has put a 3tc in his ke70 and is hoping for 120rwhp which is plenty of fun.

Edited by Des

I'm also a T motor fan. You can get them putting out good power. Try and resist the temptation to go too silly on the cam overlap, and it will remain a very streetable daily.

I ran a 169 Wade cam in mine with a shaved head, mild port/polish, extractors. Motor including bottom end was otherwise stock and untouched. At various times I ran a downdraught weber, or twin Weber DCOEs depending on whether I was working or not. It went like a cut cat and performed faultlessly at every sprint, autocross, motorkhana and daily drive to work.

If you internally clean up the stock headers and run a downdraught weber, no one will even notice you have modified it.

Might sound odd, what about either the Astron or Rodeo engine,

Both 2.6l motors and a pair of side draughts, with the 5 speed and a tarago diff??

In QLD should not conflict with your P's either

I have a 2.6 astron engine in my pajero and it made 104hp at the wheels with extractors and a 32/36 weber. Went well but was dam thirsty.

I have a 2.6 astron engine in my pajero and it made 104hp at the wheels with extractors and a 32/36 weber. Went well but was dam thirsty.

Yeah they are a thirsty motor, but compared the size of the Pajero, in a 70 she will move and easy on fuel with less weight also

I looked into doing a 3tc/2tg into a ke once and found that with t18 engine mounts a 4ac crossmember a t series engine will drop in, either way a t motor drops into a ke/ae relatively easy and can be blue plated just as easy, then all you need is gearbox and then elec dizzy and possibly some sidedrafts and extractors, easy hp then you can always turbo the t motor later on down the track