Old School Engine Conversions For Ke70?

ATOYOTA

Carb was the plan from the start. I don't like any of this fancy electronic gaff; much prefer something with moving parts.

I was reading up a bit about laws and whatnot, but I can't find the link. I found out you're only allowed 1 inch wider on wheels (thank the lawd may Carving Heads are 16X7), any engine that was an option for that model car is ok to drop in without mod plates, they even had some stupid mathematic formula for how big your bonnet scoop can be. I'll take another look and see if I can pull up a link for ya.

By that token anyway, I'm heavily swayed towards one of the T's.

Are the T18 diffs the same length as the KE70's? It looks like my guards will have to be rolled on the rear and maybe even flared on the front to accomodate for my new set of rims, so if the diff is so much as an inch too wide I might need the rear flared too.

I want to suss out the diff before anything. That way there'd be a base for the struts/coilovers/wheels side of things. Has anyone stuck a T50 onto a 4K before? If it's a straight bolt-on job, I'll get the full drivetrain setup first.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For old school you could go for a 2TGEU engine. Turn the KE70 into a TE71 GT like here:

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13833

Going 2TG/3T hybrid would be helpful in busy Brisbane traffic.

I've got a 3TC in a KE30 with extractors and 32/36 Weber and it goes well. Can cruise at 60 Km/h in 5th. Goes up hills easy. Get about 9L/100Km for petrol (highway/city driving). I reckon I could get better with the Weber jetted better and the diff changed to a lower ratio from 4.3:1 (or bigger wheels).

By god...

Yep, that's the kind of setup I want. So even with TE71/72 crossmember/mounts, I still need a mod plate? Surely the engine bays would be almost identical to each other. Is there any way at all of getting around having a mod-plated 2TG

The one flaw to your plan is that the engine had to be available in Australia as an option, so unless it is a TE72 which already has a T engine in it, you will need to mod plate it.

That's kinda what I'm getting at. 2T/3T was and option for the *E7* series corolla. So if I found a TE72 and dropped the engine into a KE70, because they're both *E7*'s, wouldn't that be legal without plates?

Laws can be so vague.

Oh, here it is!

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/c792a0c9-92b1-43ee-933b-7bdd8b20842f/pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

That's just the guidelines I was referring to.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/SLS/1999/99SL213.pdf

And that's the 164 page Vehicle Standards Regulation form.

• 3 months later...

Old skewl is too thirsty for what it is. 2T-G's use as much fuel as, like, a 6 cylinder engine. Might as well split the difference and go for straight 5.

I like Volvo's B5254T found in the Focus XR5's. I know it'd be a royal pain in the arse to convert from FWD to RWD, but it's probably the best 5 cylinder petrol engine available.

They sound like a lumberjack fvcking a chain smoking wookie with a rasp, and the power stats I've found on them are more than impressive. Plus, being a Volvo it's reliable (citation needed) and the electrics can't possibly be anywhere near as nightmarish as that of a Ford.

My 3t with a DP 38/38 weber was still awesome on fuel! no matter how you drove it. Also if you want to put a t engine in a ke70 you will need a ae71 crossmember unless you want to convert to a steering box setup. Will also need a hydraulic pedal box as t series gearbox's were either T-50 or W box on 3tgte.

• 4 weeks later...

A warmed up 4ac ,bolts in no rego hasseles.

These motors are under rated and often over looked.

But go quite well,parts can be found under most bridges or over pass.

T engines great ,don't get me wrong ,but twin cams getting hard to find and very pricey.

Also very heavy.

rob

how so? I think their rubbish from my experience

Key point was cool. Seems to get big power from them etc.

Spoken to one guy with the motor (in a volvo) he said he had no issues with it.

But yeah I'm no expert.

Their is a fair few KE70s in europe with them, I ended up on some blog saw them.

I'm trying to find it again.

found one http://www.garaget.org/?car=88483

514whp @6300rpm and 644nm @5250rpm

Edited by It's_AUDM_Yo