4Afe Vs 4Age

Clint02

The 4A-FE 113 hp (84 kW) @ 5800 rpm Torque: 101 lb·ft (137 N·m) @ 4800 rpm...Redline: 6300 rpm

The 4A-GE produced 112 hp (84 kW) @ 6,600 rpm and 131 N·m (97 lb·ft) of torque at 4,800 rpm

there you have it guys both at 84 KW, and the 4AGE needs to have an extra 1k rpm behind it, And also the 4AFE has much more torgue.. Now if any of u guys say the 4AGE revs harder please stop.. my 4AFC redines at 7.5K rpm Stocko Value springs..

Hate to break it to you, but those power figures aren't representative of Australian models, and comparing 4AFEs to 4AGE bigports is a little irrelevant since they were never sold together at the same time - the bigport is quite a few years older and was offered alongside the 4AC. If you look at like-to-like years the 4AGE creams the respective economy-series head...

ADM 4AC (AE82) = 58kW @ 5600rpm / 125Nm @ 3600rpm (first released 1985)

ADM 4AGE (AE82) = 86kW @ 6600rpm / 136Nm @ 5000rpm (first released 1986)

ADM 4AFC (AE92) = 66kW @ 6000rpm / 140Nm @ 4400rpm (first released 1989)

ADM 4AGE (AE93) = 100kW @ 6800rpm / 147Nm @ 6000rpm (first released 1989)

ADM 4AFE (AE92) = 75kW @ 6000rpm /140Nm @ 4400rpm (first released 19991)

Soure - Redbook Australia

Don't get me wrong, I will defend F-series heads as much as anyone, but at the same time unless you through BIG dollars at them there is next to no power that can be got out of them, unlike 4AGEs which have heaps of aftermarket support and tunability. My 7AFE has been dyno'd at roughly the same numbers as a stock/mild bigport, and the low-down torque is much better, but at the end of the day you're basically having to work the arse off the car to keep up. Don't even think about staying with a smallport or 20V-powered car if the person behind the wheel is anyway decent at driving and the engine isn't a complete dog. I can surprise a few of them coming out of corners at low rpm, but that's about it.

Is it just me or does this sound like a school holidays thread?

Edited by Hiro Protagonist
  • Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

Nar Bro this is seroius... not thinking about doing it any more... Now keen to spend the cash which for me would be close to nothing to get the 4AFC/E to pump out more KW at Lowwer and higher revs then the 4age just to truly test this Point... ...

Alrdy past 130 KW (not HP) with my 4AFC... Much higher then a 4AGE and at lowwer Revs.... and this is with no current mods to the block...

In any Case guys thanks for all the comments, i would now like to consisder this POST CLOSED... As i have required all the info i am currently after...would like to thank every1 one for there imput on this matter...

if anyone is interested to see where this is going check out my rides. for my Ride lol...Doing my best to keep it up to date with info/pics .. and hopefully a dyno reading soon

I am sick of getting all your messages about how special your 4afc is and how you got an extra 50hp from bolting on a weber and 10% increase from an exhaust, if you want to tell your self that, that's fine but I don't really care to be honest, sorry for being so rude but it just pisses me off.

• Upvote 1

This thread makes me laugh.

Having driven FE's and 16v 4AGE's, i can tell you the FE is a nicer motor to drive around town and are quick enough to have fun, but they don't have the same characteristics as the GE's with power delivery and response which makes them so good in the higher revs!

I can surprise a few of them coming out of corners at low rpm, but that's about it.

Thats because the 4AGE only gets going after 60 kays in 2nd gear... you were not doing that exiting the corners. Clearly you were cheating and had a 130kw 4AFC :P

Edited by Subaru_kid

Old topic/ debate is old.

YEAH, they don't seem that much different on paper. BUT have you actually driven a 4age? That's the decision maker in itself.

Build a 4afe, be different. Good on ya, but it's going to be more difficult and probably more costly.

The 4age is a performance orientated motor, hence the heads are made by Yamaha.

The 4afe is more catered to your Nana's needs. It's a economy motor.

Regardless of what can be achieved with the 4afe is still has the shit slave cam design. Good luck finding adjustable cam gears, and if you want cams you're going to paying through the nose for them.

To achieve the best results you have to fine tune an engine. You won't achieve that with 4afe cheese..