Ra40 Celica. Sorry It's Not A Corolla =P

MarcusEstevez

I felt bad that I joined up just to look for a car for my Girlfriend, so I thought I'd start a thread on the car that made my Girl love Toyota's.

She's an RA40 with an 18RC, I bought her probably 20 months ago now. I new nothing about cars, I saw them as an object to get from A to B... It's amazing how much I have changed my perspective on cars in those 20 months. I've rebuilt the engine and done a few modifications to my car that make people wonder.

Well, here she is when I first bought her.

1792eaj_20.jpg

DSCF1782.jpg

Here's what she looked like after a month of having her. I used tyre shine on the rubber bumpers every weekend, and I polished her once a month =P

DSCF1991.jpg

and Here is what she looks like now.

DSCF2744.jpg

DSCF2740.jpg

I rebuilt the original engine over a couple weeks, Complete rebuild with new piston rings and honed bores etc etc... I deleted the 'C' part from 18RC, No more Emissions crap. I added a 32/36 Weber and extractors. I've been told it's one of the nicest 18R's people have seen, Hehe.

DSCF2690.jpg

Fitted an EA Falcon 85Amp alternator with a bracket I made.

Altbracketexplanation.jpg

I've always had a thing for fender mirrors too, and also thought the single mirror on the drivers side looked a bit dicky so I got some glass from a 78 model and fitted it to 'Delete' the stock mirror.

ra40-1.jpg

ra40-2.jpg

Thats pretty much it so far. I bought a mild cam for it and a manifold for a single sidedraught, I plan on putting a 45mm Weber on it with the cam but thats a mod I'll do later...

By the way, Sorry it isn't a Corolla =)

Members dont see this ad

Cheers mate. What do people think the 'C' stands for? =P

It says in the Manual on the 18R series that it's emission. If it's a 'B' it's twin SU carbs,Not many people know that one either... Theres also a rare 18RE, EFI version.

I've learnt a fair amount over the last 20 months, hehe.

C = California spec emissions. (although the jury is still out on that one... Some say it stands for 'carburettor')

Became the default suffix globally for anti-pollution gear as California always had the strictest 'smog' laws.

Edited by 7shades

C = California spec emissions. (although the jury is still out on that one... Some say it stands for 'carburettor')

Jury isn't out, it has and always will stand for "California", there are plenty of carby Toyota motors that didn't have the -C moniker, just most of the ones we got here had the -C. For comparison, -U is the Japanese market emissions package.

The confusion probably arises because I don't believe the -C ever appeared on an EFI engine (or if it did, it was extremely uncommon), whereas the -U did in several high-profile engines (ie 18RGEU, 2TGEU etc etc), and pretty much all mention of emissions packages in engine codes disappeared when EFI became virtually standard across the Toyota range in the early 90s

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

The confusion probably arises because I don't believe the -C ever appeared on an EFI engine (or if it did, it was extremely uncommon), whereas the -U did in several high-profile engines (ie 18RGEU, 2TGEU etc etc), and pretty much all mention of emissions packages in engine codes disappeared when EFI became virtually standard across the Toyota range in the early 90s

U and C both appeared in 4age codes.

Cheers, The number plates get a lot of questions and conversations started =P I love it haha.

I have 3 RA40's. Heres the other two.

NOOBRA40Celica3.jpg

NOOBRA40Celica4.jpg

The blue one is my parts car, I bought it for $250 and it has an 18RG in it that me and my brother got running in a couple of hours. I am rebuilding it, Lowering compression, turboing it and chucking it in this:

rustfreeshell.jpg

Rust free shell! Just needs paint and interior. It'll be my Daily while I fix up NOOB due to her being so bloody rusty! Poor girl =/

• 2 weeks later...