Blue Thing: The Daily / Motorkhana Hack (Now Efi)

carbonboy

Members dont see this ad

Standard size bore and still good?

It was standard bore size, now just honed ??? amount (absolute minimum I was told). I'll get the exact size when I get the measurements for the machinists to order rings. The job card was MIA, you can imagine what a workshop move is like! I can use the standard rods/pistons, I'm happy. :)

haha fixed!!

Next time Gadget, next time! ;)

Threw out V1.0 & started from scratch on V2.0, made it this far today & will be finishing it off after work during the week. I enjoy doing this on a recreational basis, I don't think this is something I would want to/be capable of doing for a living. :hmm:

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow TCCAV member, I had my choice of Arc, TIG, MIG, or Oxy-Acetylene. Used the MIG for tack-welding (first-time user, LOVE these things!) & will use Oxy-Acetylene for the final runs. This is due to sticking with what I know & can do better, my Oxy welds come up better than my MIG welds. So be it. *shrugs*

post-5437-0-13980700-1377424719_thumb.jpg

The insides of the runners will need die-grinding to clean them up once welded to the flange, both from the welds & my inability to get the shape of the ports exactly right. Within 0.5mm was close enough, weld is added to the outside so I figure it's all good to take a little off the inside to match the port.

Edited by carbonboy

Got it to what I call stage 2 this afternoon. Made up a jig to replicate the carburetor positions, was also useful to making sure they were straight/square/plumb etc. Could have just re-positioned the carbs to suit the port position width-wise, but was going to make a jig of some kind anyway..... *shrugs*

post-5437-0-24227700-1377521163_thumb.jpg

Very cool.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Not quite as cool as a supercharger though! :y:

Ha! How far have you come since you first hit rollaclub.

One big, not-so-perfect circle! I don't think I can take back everything bad I've said about carburetors & how I will never use them given the choice, but for what it's worth, they're not so bad. I still don't quite fully understand them, but at least now I want to learn.

To all the Senior Members & others who have given me a 'clip around the ear' (so to speak) when required, thankyou.