Ra23 Rally Car

sebsta

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok cool ours has a big booster off something like a hilux, and dad and i figured out what the funny divider thing does , it has a valve that runs through the both rear and front lines , when pressure is applied to the front it cuts pressure to the rear so when you jump on the brakes it only looks the front. and cuts the back.

who is he talking to about pistons I'm hunting some dowm myself

Hi Seb, I found some old picks of my ra23 you asked for.

hi craig that looks awesome as :) what engine was it running?

Nice car ,do you run cams or amsag events.

Shame about the off ,but it happens ha ha :oops:

rob

hi rob , we are running cams events as there is no amsag here in vic :(

haha yeah oh well at least it is all straght and good now and we can laugh about it

it has a valve that runs through the both rear and front lines , when pressure is applied to the front it cuts pressure to the rear so when you jump on the brakes it only looks the front. and cuts the back.
yep, that is the brake proportionaing valve and it does exactly what you say.. which is why I want it all ripped out and an adjustable one put by the handbrake. We are lucky that the rear slaves we picked make the rears lock up with the pressure that valve lets through.

Steve is chatting to Nick Arias, but I don't know him or where he is from.

yep, that is the brake proportionaing valve and it does exactly what you say.. which is why I want it all ripped out and an adjustable one put by the handbrake. We are lucky that the rear slaves we picked make the rears lock up with the pressure that valve lets through.

Steve is chatting to Nick Arias, but I don't know him or where he is from.

Love the RA23 Seb! I'm interested to know what you did to the dash to fill in the cracks? Look way better! :)

I understeered off and bent the same side in my first rally ever so yeah, shit happens but there's so much more fun to be had! :)

In regards to the pistons; Nick Arias the 3rd is basically the bloke in charge at Atomic Speedware (their website is currently offline) in America that makes Arias pistons. You can't buy off the shelf pistons anymore for the 18R-G, so no matter where you go they are a custom job.

I enquired to JP Engineering in Adelaide who make custom cast pistons but you're looking at nearly a thousand dollars and they didn't seem that keen to do it.

Most of the 18R-G guys seem happy with the forged arias pistons. They offer whatever bore and comp ratio for the same price as far as I can tell. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Nick but this is our current conversation.

Hi Stephen-

Thank you for your inquiry. I can supply a custom forged piston kit (pistons, pins, rings & locks) for your 18R-G. Your price is $652.00 for the complete kit. Process time is 4 weeks, plus one week for coatings if desired.

Custom piston options:

Tool steel pins (over 20# boost): Add $60.80

TOTAL SEAL gapless top ring set: Add $118

Coating, ceramic crown: Add $112

Coating, Moly skirt: Add $112

Shipping USPS Express insured will be $94.00.

I can also supply a PAUTER connecting rod set for $820.

Thank You,

Nick Arias 3rd

www.atomicspeedware.com

805.552.0808 ph | 805.435.1691 fx

AIM: na3atomic | ICQ: 285309851

Cheers,

Stephen

Did you know that CAMS now allow you to use a 1st gen 3SGE with carbs as a replacement for the 18rg and still score points in the state prc championship.

We ran and devloped a 18rg for almost 5 years when I started rallying. But it always seemed to be lacking something for a 2lt twin cam.

These engines have a great cyl head but the long stroke lets it down.

The high comp pistons we had were almost a V shape wedge crown which upset combustion and flow. This was over 10 years ago now so the shape may have changed.

Just a thought as you may spend a lot of money, and like me, and be dissapointed with the results.

Like Neil Bates, I reckon a 3sge would give you more value for your money.

Agree 100% with Supra 2 . I ran a 18RG in a RA23 ( GROUP A RALLY CAR ) the more money we spent the less drivable the car became . Eventually we blew the engine and with a limited budget just put a stock balance 18RG in and bugger me if we where not quicker. Gen 1 3SGE is the way to go and you know where youcan get one built.

IMG_3442_zps4f99f2e8.jpg

Don't encourage him, he'll be trying to steal the motor out of my Altezza!

As far as I know the 18RG is 88.5bore X 80mm stroke, so its more than square. I think its the 2valve design that limits it more than the stroke, but the main thing is have it hauling hard from low revs so it gets you out of the shit drifting in a corner rather than pulling 8300rpm down a straight.

Have you got any photos of the pistons Craig, it sounds like another reason to stick to 11:1 rather than 11.5:1. Did you do any work on the crankshaft apart from balancing it? If we're going to seriously build a rally motor I'd like it lightened and knife-edged. What flywheel did you use? ..and did you ever use larger inlet valves??

Yes your right about the stroke, I was thinking about the stroke on the 22re we built.

I don't have any photos of the pistons but I remember them looking like someone had stuck an iceburg on a flat top.

I remember we tried every thing to make the thing go, and it did, but not like it should have with all the effort and money we put in.

All the normal bottom end mods and these silly high comp pistons. Over size valves and rally cams, mild head porting and matching the intake manifolds.

We also ditched the solex carbs for webbers and ran electronic ingnition..

We spent countless hours tuning with no real impressive results.

If I were to build one today. I would use the 90mm or 92mm flat top to take it to 2.2lt and bring the comp up with a big head skim and thin head gasket.

Ta for that then- I was just talking to Steve about 90mm pistons and then the smaller of the high comp options he's looking at. Dang, things are expensive for those motors! Listing the bits for a rebuild came to over $7000 ! I think we'll settle for less power for less money & make it torquey and reliable.

Love the RA23 Seb! I'm interested to know what you did to the dash to fill in the cracks? Look way better! :)

I understeered off and bent the same side in my first rally ever so yeah, shit happens but there's so much more fun to be had! :)

In regards to the pistons; Nick Arias the 3rd is basically the bloke in charge at Atomic Speedware (their website is currently offline) in America that makes Arias pistons. You can't buy off the shelf pistons anymore for the 18R-G, so no matter where you go they are a custom job.

I enquired to JP Engineering in Adelaide who make custom cast pistons but you're looking at nearly a thousand dollars and they didn't seem that keen to do it.

Most of the 18R-G guys seem happy with the forged arias pistons. They offer whatever bore and comp ratio for the same price as far as I can tell. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Nick but this is our current conversation.

Hi Stephen-

Thank you for your inquiry. I can supply a custom forged piston kit (pistons, pins, rings & locks) for your 18R-G. Your price is $652.00 for the complete kit. Process time is 4 weeks, plus one week for coatings if desired.

Custom piston options:

Tool steel pins (over 20# boost): Add $60.80

TOTAL SEAL gapless top ring set: Add $118

Coating, ceramic crown: Add $112

Coating, Moly skirt: Add $112

Shipping USPS Express insured will be $94.00.

I can also supply a PAUTER connecting rod set for $820.

Thank You,

Nick Arias 3rd

www.atomicspeedware.com

805.552.0808 ph | 805.435.1691 fx

AIM: na3atomic | ICQ: 285309851

Cheers,

Stephen

hi stephen

thanks for the info on the pistons and with the dash i just used fiber glass so it is still flexible.

Did you know that CAMS now allow you to use a 1st gen 3SGE with carbs as a replacement for the 18rg and still score points in the state prc championship.

We ran and devloped a 18rg for almost 5 years when I started rallying. But it always seemed to be lacking something for a 2lt twin cam.

These engines have a great cyl head but the long stroke lets it down.

The high comp pistons we had were almost a V shape wedge crown which upset combustion and flow. This was over 10 years ago now so the shape may have changed.

Just a thought as you may spend a lot of money, and like me, and be dissapointed with the results.

Like Neil Bates, I reckon a 3sge would give you more value for your money.

yes i am aware that you can run a 3sge in a ra40 i was going to do this in my ra40 that i am building at the moment but decided on an rg because i was going to put a 3sge in the ra40 track car instead.

Hi there Seb if you wave a look on Thomas thread TOMMYS ke11 page 9 you can have a look at what our ra23 looked like both before and after! let pics tell the story (shit happens).

Cheers:- Stuart (Thomas dad).

hi mate sorry to see such a nice car wreaked but oh well shit does happens. lucky we did no major damage to our ra23

• 1 month later...

on sunday we took the beast for a run around the famous phillip island race track :)

post-17093-0-04251900-1367235044_thumb.jpg

i was not driving it :( , as i was in the wrx :)

post-17093-0-08736200-1367235353_thumb.jpg

the day started of very wet for the first 2 runs but dried out very quich which lead to some fun racing :P)

the ra23 got a 2:16 lap time and i was only 10 seconds quicker in the wrx....

922800_514494061920095_204859209_n.jpg

the car performed well but did get a little hot but nothing major went wrong :)

now some arty shots

923138_514492038586964_1621970515_n.jpg

922675_514491848586983_395454108_n.jpg

TEQ , FTW!!!!!!!

431886_514492078586960_744988452_n.jpg

the mighty 18-rg :)

photos from http://www.narraphotography.com.au/

and http://www.facebook.com/feralstephdesigner?fref=ts

go check them out ;)

Edited by sebsta