Motorsport Photographers "the Plague Of Amateurs"

<Start Rant>

So after i went to All Jap Day in Adelaide last week end I've noticed on deserting thing

people with a spare 1k go and buy a cheap digital SLR camera from jb's or what have you

then proceed to take very average photos and to top it off put stupid massive watermarks across the photo

I am all for them protecting there "art works" copy write by use of a water mark but put it in a discrete location

so as not to make it hard to see the original bloody image.

</End Rant>

please elaborate on this bad trend in our motorsport

i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/lyntonsmith/watermark.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Every man and his dog seems to buy a DSLR, create a facebook page called "Joe Bloggs Photography" or some lame title relating to cars, and then expects people to fawn over their poorly lit night-time "shoots" or a shot of a racecar from half a kilometre away. It's the current fad, I'm sure it'll die down soon (says the guy who bought himself a DSLR for Christmas) and the real pros will still be around.

To be fair, you can get quite a decent camera for less than $1k, it's the lenses that you need for motorsport-type shots that cost the big coin (need decent focal length since you'll be stuck on a hill somewhere, along with ridiculously fast auto-focus and aperture).

• Upvote 1

I think you need to spend at least 2k on the body with the current crop of cameras to get what you need. Primarily being the ability to take fast sequences and to have a faster flash sync speed. Anything cheaper than a 7d wont do it. Lense wise Id expect if you budgeted about 10k for lenses you could have a nice all around kit. Don't forget about flashes either, a few on a stand somewhere being remotely fired would be perfect for drag staging shots. Thats why the 7d is good, wireless built in flash triggering.

Of course none of this helps if your a try hard moron who wants to buy a fedora and stand around with a camera. You need real training, or experience. If your just going to leave it on program mode then your not going to get anything good. Have you noticed how these people don't even talk to anyone at the track but then live vicariously through facebook?

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

A poor tradesman always blames his tools ;) I'm of the opinion, that it is not the equipment you have, but how you use it. if someone gets 90% of the potential out of a $50 lens, they will get better photos than someone who gets 10% of the potential out of a $400 lens.

I think its good that remotely decent gear is now affordable to the average joe, why should it only be the guys with money that get to use a decentish camera? And sure we might be getting flooded with photos from this, but people are out there having a go, good on them i reckon. And in this day and age with all this social media, i think its good that you can easily get photos out into the public, show them off. Even if they are not the greatest photos, at least they are having a crack at it. Only way to get experience is to have a go yeah?

I have a nikon D40 with the 2 basic lenses. Katrina bought it 5yrs ago for under 1000bucks. The lenses really are quite poor, but keep away from the extremeties of the zoom, don't ask too much of it, and you can get some really nice photos.

Here is one i took the other day at QR, just the d40 with the standard 55-200? lens. A bit of colour correction in photoshop afterwards (was a cloudy day, i dunno how you avoid washed out colours on a cloudy day?)

Turned out alright for an noob with the basics of basic gear. (note the rear right wheel)

http://i168.photobuc...zps71f12eb2.jpg

edit: as for watermarks, yeah thats a bit moronic. Unless you intend on trying to make money off the photos i can't see any reason to put more than a small logo somewhere on it. Once you put a photo on the internet, its there for everyone to copy....

Edited by ke70dave

Well equipment or not Id rather see people who know what they are doing do it.

There are certain things you cannot do in action and sports photography, especially in situations where you can only get so close to the action, if you don't have the right equipment. You need telephoto lenses with the fastest optics available (realistically a 10 grand investment), its an equipment heavy field to prosper in. Joe Bloggs with his $1000 dslr who snaps off a photo, looks at it, decides whether to delete or not then re shoots again with P mode hoping for different results is a hack, and always will be. All those photographers at the F1 in Melbourne over the weekend, or at the football, with the long light grey lense that look like telescopes, they have those lenses because they allow them to use fast shutter speeds in low light by having a large aperture. Large apertures in general means you need more glass in the optics to capture more total light and focus it on the sensor. More glass equals more difficulty of manufacture and therefore money.

If you don't understand all the technicality of photography you cannot be truly creative.

People need to do a lot more of the work on the day with the frame and exposure and not with editing and cropping later. A professional who proliferates thousands of photographs per event would not be going trough each frame and prettying them up before presentation to clients, its just not viable. The press guys that know what they are doing are used to sending unseen films into their publishers, and as such are able to shoot well enough to send in memory dumps from the road ala film, unseen, and know the quality of the result will be assured.

The proliferation of digital cameras is something I blame for this proliferation of photographers. Its taken a lot of the fear out of it as you can cheaply see what the final result is on an LCD screen before being under the pressure of presenting it, and if it sucks, goodbye, lets pretend that never happened.

When I trained, I learned on film, and as such I had to learn to cope with actually controlling the variables. When digital came out strongly post 2000 I had just left art college and was jaded by the proliferation of it almost immediately.

I basically retired in 2002 (while still shooting film) and didn't take any photos until digital cameras caught up with what I expected from a good film camera. I used to shoot my 35mm at college with a Canon eos 1N and moving to any sort of digital camera after using that machine was a massive step down. In 2011 I saved up and bought an EOS 7D due to its combination of high specs in a compact body that garners less attention compared to an eos1D (for stealth in everyday use and lightweight since I prefer candid types of photography), its ability to trigger remote flashes, high def video shooting, its high speed continuous shooting, extreme control of iso, high speed flash sync, high 18MP resolution, long battery life and massive card based memory(thousands of 18MP images per card).

The very idea that you can spend $1000 on your kit in any field and call yourself a pro is pretty offensive to all the people who have professionally trained and invested thousands in their work. To translate for example to my current profession, I challenge anyone to buy a thousand dollars worth of tools and then successfully use them to make a kitchen in a time frame short enough to make money. Its impossible. Same with photography, but you just cannot explain that to the $1000 dlsr watermark people.

The best thing about photography in general today is that its an all inclusive thing. Cameras are everywhere, so we are getting footage of a lot of amazing things we may never have seen, Russian meteorites exploding, fights, murders, whatever, its all out there. But calling yourself a professional for having come up with some interesting footage is drawing a long bow, and if your not careful get you a tax bill if you are deemed to have prospered from your success. (Joe Hachem anyone).

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

I have a D7000.

I take motorsport photos.

I'm not a Pro's arsehole.

I don't watermark them.

Anybody whos car I take a photo of is welcome to the shots, because I race too, and I like photos of my car to come back to me. :)

• Upvote 1

last round i race at over at winton, a lady came up to me and asked if i would like her to take pics of my car for $20, she said she would take around 60, i missed the last session and she ended up taking 125 pics, not to bad quality, was pretty awesome, then there some guy that wants $12 for 1 pic about the same quality as the others....