Driveshaft = Vibration?

no eye deer

Members dont see this ad

And some tyre shops are just junk. Had this shimmy in the ex's Mother's car before we were going to drive it from Sydney down to Canberra. She took it to the tyre shop and they checked the alignment and balanced the wheels (supposedly) and said it was a good thing. I put up with it on the drive down, but we still had a way to go after Canberra and this thing was trying to rip the steering wheel out of your hands at low speed, got better as you went faster, but still not great. Got the ex to drive it slowly thru a car park as I walked beside, right when it moved the wheel, got her to stop, checked the tyres and there's a HUGE egg in one of the tyres. Tyre's were fairly new looking, her mother didn't do a lot of K's with the car, but one had let go internally and bulged out. Replaced that with the spare and was like a dream to drive after that. But the fact the tyre shop had supposedly had the wheels off for a balance and checked the alignment, all whilst missing this HUGE egg on the tyre .... yeah ... some tyre shops are junk.

• 6 months later...

a "wheel balance" vibration happens constant at or near 55mph other speeds give other clues.

a good tire shop sends its boys to school. and inspects the tires before removal from the car. have them write the symptom on the paperwork instead of items from the shop menu. ask to see it before he takes it out to the tire men. thats where i have seen someone with a prayer to get a diagnosis.

best way to get satisfaction there is take the manager for a ride and say "thats what i'm trying to fix right there!"

then ask him if he road tested it before you pick it up.

wheel bearings get busy at 30mph to 35mph add and subtract weight by slalloming during the road test.

other speeds suggest parts out of round radially or laterally.

never seen a cv axle cause a wheel balance type vibration.

i have seen a cv axle make an oscillating surge feel. the parts have to get out of phase. or the engine and trans have to sag low in the mounts to make the oscillation set up.

enough looseness or missing internal parts can put one out of phase under power.

Edited by dannyl

you can still access it, when frantically searching to diag , after the boys have your hard earned funds. it dispells myths and quashes communication errors. i've noticed this is one of the most often misunderstood types of trouble that folks waste money on.

thought it was poigniant. no matter what the calendar said. i find updating old crap helps the next guy save a few here and there.

It was that kind of searching and reading that helped me find out my car had been made for a different market and had different

goodies in it than i had known before. i was able to order parts i thought were out of production. saved $600 on the trans and

got to keep my syncros

new and current arent always better, but revisiting makes me learn, saves these rigs from the shredder

• 1 month later...

Old thread but to add to it, you can have a wheel balance type vibration caused by a CV. It is when the inner joint wears and the shaft has play that you can feel it through out the car, this is more noticeable in the 3 bearing carrier like that of corollas than what it is from your general 6 or 8 ball.