Car No Start (Ae82 Twinky)

snot35

Gentlemen,

I'm hoping some brains can help me out with where to look.

I have a late AE82 Twin Cam Seca which has an electrical problem. When hooked up I get no dash lights and it doesn't turn over. I don't think the starter solenoid even clunks.

Battery voltage is reasonable. I can find 12V at the coil and most of the spots I've tried on the fuse/relay box in the engine bay seem to have power. All fuses are OK. The EFI fuse was blown in the engine bay, but has been replaced. The fuses in the driver's kick panel are OK too.

Any particular spots I should check to expedite the process?

I've got some wiring diagrams downloaded which I will follow through, it's just a question of getting the time to do it. It's annoying, as this is a late Seca the wiring is different the the earlier Twin Cams. It seems to be more like an AE93 with the fusible links etc.

Thanks

Mike

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers. I'll try a jump start.

I don't think I've ever come across a car that won't even light the dash. This is with the battery straight off the charger before trying to start. Maybe that has thrown me. No harm in trying to jump start. Clutch start isn't an option, it's at the bottom of a hill :)

• 2 weeks later...

No such luck on previous knowledge. I bought it cheap as it didn't work. The guy claimed it had been running just the week before. The battery doesn't seem to hold charge particularly well, so Hiro's suggestion could be a good one. I was just surprised it almost meant no dash lights.

Haven't tried again with it yet. It's been too cold and wet to work on cars outside :)

Definitely grab a known working battery from another car.

If you've blown the edu fuse, could the dash fuses be gone too?

Could be a Dodgey key barrell going to ignition.

Try powering the starter directly with some jumper cables. Be careful though, it's easy to ground the positive down there.

Make sure you check fuses with a multimeter not just by sight. Also check if you have power to the battery side of the fuse.

Check ecu is getting power on ignition also.

• 4 months later...

So it turns out the ALT fuse was gone on this one. I thought I'd checked it with a meter rather than by sight, but obviously I hadn't.

New fuse and the dash is now on and it will crank over. It's not starting though, so on to the next round of troubleshooting!

What's the first port of call, should I just jumper the diagnostics port and go from there?