Respray

kyle2278

Hi,

I'm looking at getting my ke55 resprayed pretty soon and wanted to know your opinions on what's the best way to go about it?

Do I get it down to bare metal through sandblasting or stripping the paint?

I live in the Sutherland Shire and want some good places to get it painted too if possible, I am happy to drive to get it done well though.

Thanks, Kyle

Members dont see this ad

What is your budget for the body work and respray?

That will often be the main determinant in figuring out the best way to proceed.

Refinishing a car is 95% prep work and 5% painting. So like anything in this country that typically involves tradesmen, labour is expensive - but neither is it rocket science if you're willing to have a crack yourself.

What is your budget for the body work and respray?

That will often be the main determinant in figuring out the best way to proceed.

Refinishing a car is 95% prep work and 5% painting. So like anything in this country that typically involves tradesmen, labour is expensive - but neither is it rocket science if you're willing to have a crack yourself.

Thanks for the reply. I would be looking at spending 4-4.5k.

Would be happy to give some of it a go myself but just unsure which way is best

For that money, yes you could probably reasonably expect to get the whole lot done to a standard without doing any work yourself.

In that case I reckon you should drive your car around to a few paint shops and see what they suggest. Hold your cards close to your chest (i.e. don't tell them you'd spend $4500) and get a few quotes.

Is the car worth it? Remember that even after spending all that money on paint it won't drive any better.

You could paint it yourself for a little over a tenth of that money. But of course the result probably wouldn't be as good. And you need the weather-proof space to do it for 1,2,6 up to 12 months...

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy

Any spraypainter will have diffeent incentives to you.

They will want to get it done as fast as possible to a minimum acceptable standard to maximise their income.

You will want to get it done to a maximum quality standard for as little as possible.

As Mechanical Sympathy said, its all in the prep, so inspect the paint caefully and see if it has any shrinkage cracks in it, or stress cracking, or tiny bubbles or...

A painter will just take it back to a good enough coat of paint and spray over the top of that. It might be that the coat on there is in good enough condition to rub back and undercoat, or it might be that it is a crappy respray already and that paint will need to be sanded right off.

Ask a few painters what they think of it & get them to point out problems. The best way is for you to prepare it and them to spray it, but that is also the hardest and most soul-destroying endless job in the world!

I stripped and sanded 3/4 of The Girl's KE70 and had a spray shop paint it. Cost me $800 and it looks superb in two-pack paint. If i'd been richer and less of a clown I wouldv've done the whole car, as one side looks faded now.

In my opinion $4,500 for panel and paint is cheap. I've been quoted 8K+ just for panel work on a KE10 which I had stripped myself and most spray shops want anything from 5K to 10K for a full respray.

If you want full panel and paint hunt around for a one man type shop. They're usually more willing to take on full restoration jobs and not charge like a wounded bull.