October 2, 20169 yr comment_706503 I've recently purchased a gasket kit for my 3K-H engine, originally I only wanted to replace the valve stem seals but then I thought why not go ahead and replace all the seals in the engine. While I have the engine apart why not replace the bearings. My question, what website(s) would one go to to find oversized bearings and piston rings? I've seen a lot of talk about them but where do people get tem? Report
October 2, 20169 yr comment_706504 Hi Marius, Oversize bearings & piston rings are only fitted to engines after the crankshaft has been reground, & the cylinders rebored. You don't just fit them to a worn engine to take up the wear. You would have to do a full strip & engine recondition to do that. Oversize bearings & rings come in various oversizes, which are chosen by the engine rebuilder, dependent on the amount of material they have to grind or bore. Whilst you have the engine stripped down, have the bores & grankshaft professionally measured, to see howw much wear they have. Be very very careful that you number each bearing halves, so that if you don't regrind, that they go back in exactly the same spot. How many klms has your car got on it, & what are the compression figures like ? Cheers Banjo Edited October 2, 20169 yr by Banjo Report
October 4, 20169 yr Author comment_706525 Thanks again Banjo for clarifying things for me again. I thought you just took things apart and see how much wear it would have. Anyways where would I go to find new bearings and piston rings? Is ebay and other chinese websites really the best option here? Report
October 4, 20169 yr comment_706526 Have a chat to your local engine rebuilder. they will be able to get all the good brands, ACL etc. If it were me doing the job i would disassemble myself. clean myself, then take the block, rods and crank to a shop. get them to measure it, machine if necessary and then supply pistons/rings/bearings to suit the machined components. keep everything inline as Banjo says. You can measure etc yourself, but for the peace of mind i would get the guy who is machining to spec the parts. Then if you are keen you can do the assembly yourself, or if you got some spare cash get them to assemble to bottom end (which i would be tempted to do) and just drop the head on yourself. Report
October 5, 20169 yr Author comment_706540 I'd like to do as much as possible myself I've checked prices with a couple engine builders in Norway and they charge around 1000-1200$ for just a small 4 cylinder, honed, valvework and cecking the crank. And that is excluding that I have to ship the parts. Then they will charge 75$/h hourly for everything else like cleaning and moving hte parts Edited October 5, 20169 yr by MrMasternes Report
October 5, 20169 yr Author comment_706545 I'm getting suprisingly good compression, Getting around 9.8 bar (142psi) in average. Cyl1: 146psi 10.2bar Cyl2: 132psi 9.3bar Cyl3: 138psi 9.6bar Cyl4: 142psi 10bar I still want to take the engine apart just to get rid of my high oil usage and have the engine ready for a new cam and carb. Any ideas for a good cam and carb for a street driven but not daily driven rolla? Edited October 5, 20169 yr by MrMasternes Report
October 5, 20169 yr comment_706546 Hi Suggest you get a 1.3 4k from a ke70 instead of spending $ on the 3k, if youre planing a smal uppgrade. This might be a decent one: http://m.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=61125638 Report
October 5, 20169 yr Author comment_706547 Hi Suggest you get a 1.3 4k from a ke70 instead of spending $ on the 3k, if youre planing a smal uppgrade. This might be a decent one: http://m.finn.no/bap...nnkode=61125638 Hey Thanks man, I must have missed this one on finn. I'll see how far the budget holds Maybe even that 1.6l from that carina :P Report
October 10, 20169 yr Author comment_706607 What parts are a almost a must to change on any 3K when taking apart? :) I'm gonna order piston rings but should I get the block honed or is the piston rings enough for a cheap rebuild? Edited October 10, 20169 yr by MrMasternes Report
October 10, 20169 yr comment_706609 I wouldn't order pistons/ bearings till the motor is apart, until then will you know what needs machining/replacing and what sizes to machine/replace items to. A MUST in any k motor would be the timing chain, sprockets and associated tensioners. Edited October 10, 20169 yr by Clapped out Report
October 10, 20169 yr comment_706610 A cheap build will lead to a second build :) I suggest you address every component that is out of spec. Edited October 10, 20169 yr by ke70dave Report
October 20, 20169 yr Author comment_706664 I'm trying to hunt down a timing chain kit, with spockets tensioner and chains. Can anyone guide me to a good website for this? Report
October 23, 20169 yr comment_706682 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OSK-TIMING-CHAIN-TENSIONER-GEAR-KIT-FOR-TOYOTA-K-3K-DOUBLE-ROW-Corolla-KE-/301974908288?hash=item464f1b6d80:g:fVIAAOSwnFZXUs52&vxp=mtr Report
October 26, 20169 yr comment_706713 U are best to go to a speed shop or engine machine shop There is no point buying any part till u have stripped a d inspected parts especially if u are planning on reusing them Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now