5k Engine for Ke70

23 hours ago, KaboomJohn111 said:

I think I'll stick with the Tighe 104 grind, purely because I will be using the car as my daily driver as well and although your Wade cam will give some more top end, I would like it to be more of a cruiser as I've decided to make my ke30 into my motorkhana car, since its already stripped etc.

Honestly, the Wade cam was nice and drivable with good pull from down low. We also had a 4k with a big cam that was almost undrivable. Would spin you around once you hit 3600rpm in a corner.

The 5k was also quicker over the eight mile....

Members dont see this ad

1 hour ago, KaboomJohn111 said:

when you shaved the head on your 5k, how much did you shave and what compression did you get
Also did anything need to be done to your pushrods when you shaved the head or put in the cam (again I've never worked with hydraulic lifters before)

Honestly can not tell you.  That motor was built back in the '90s sometime.  Handed the head and block to a local engine builder and told them to up the compression as high as we could run on pump fuel at the time.  When we reassembled it, stock rockers, pushrods and lifters went back in.  This motor was a Japanese import motor and was a factory flat top piston motor. 

What have other guys done, looking for others who have built 5k 

So here is my current thoughs
- 2 x 40 DCOE Weber carbs (Maybe 45's but will try up sizing the jets on the 40's if necessary)
- Get the head ported and polished (most porting will be done to exhaust side if I'm thinking right...someone confirm please)
- Shave the head to give about 10:1 - 10.3:1 compression
- New cam grind (either based off a Tighe 104 or a Wade grind...coln you have made me consider it)
- 2'inch exhaust all the way through (can someone confirm if 4k extractors can fit a 5k)
- 1 piece exhaust and intake gasket 
- Highly considering boring it to fit 40 - 60 thou oversize pistons from ACL...If I can bloody find them
- Get the Crank, Conrods, All pulleys and other reciprocating components balanced 
- Get the flywheel lightened (I'm open to suggestions, need to be street able so i'm think down to 7kg)
- Chrome up the engine a bit (timing cover, rocker cover, intake manifold, and maybe extractors) 
- Double Rod timing Chain (can someone tell me if one from a 3k-b fit, new one to spec of 3k-b...I assume yes but to be sure)
- MSD 6A ignition system with a Blaster 2 coil
- Maybe Iridium Plugs (Since MSD system can easily put out enough juice to justify...aslo anyone know the part number, like NGK or something)

Things I need some consultation for
- Electronic Dizzy
- Fuel Pump (I think the stock one can deal with it but again unsure)
- Do something about Oil Pressure (I've heard shimming the pump about 2mm but have never done myself) I've been told it's recommended to keep the engine happy
- ...I'll ask more for when I can remember

...Oh also guys am I missing anything?

Any K series extractors for a KE70 will fit.  KE10/20/30's have slightly different bodies so may need mods to fit around steering/body parts.

OK, going to try and dig into the memory banks on my 5k set ups.  These definitely were not wild motors so don't be disapointed.

5k number 1.  

Vehicle KE35 daily driver.

Jap import 5K.

3k-b manifold, air cleaner and linkages.  Ran standard 3k carbies (x2) as they had bigger venturies/jets than the proper 3k-b ones

4 into 1 extractors with 2 inch exhaust.

electric fuel pump and cooling fan.  No engine driven fan.

5k electronic dizzie set to 15 deg btdc initial advance.

Pulled engine due to a noise (all the symptoms of a cracked piston, noise even disappeared when plug lead removed). Found nothing.  Got an engine builder to check it out, and took the opportunity to shave head. Made it into a different engine.  Wished I had of fitted a cam as well to this one at the time.....

Great motor, lots of torque. Towed a camper with this car, did it with ease.  Brakes were another story though......

5k number 2.

Vehicle KE20 club car.

second hand 5k cost $100

bolted into car, sounded great until warmed up when it developed a knock.  Pulled out and fitted new bearings.

Ran 3k-b manifold set up again modded carbs and aftermarket air cleaners.

electric fuel pump and fans again

4 into 1 extractors and 2" exhaust again.

Fitted the Wade 169 grind when doing bearings. Closed eyes when looking at everything else - called them racing clearances :)

This was basically it.  Standard head, etc.  People would not believe me at meetings that this was all that was done to that motor.

It was still enough to knock 3 to 4 seconds off the time it took to do a run on the Ballarat Autocross track when compared to the original 3k.  

Lots of fun for a car that cost me sweet ^%^^ all to build, probably less than $600 including the cost of the car.

Always had plans to do a stage 2 motor.  Do the head, up the compression, bend the diff to get a little camber and toe in but kids came along.......

12 minutes ago, Taz_Rx said:

Tommy's made close enough to 130....

Wow, I was thinking 110-130 at the flywheel, but 121rwhp bloody awesome, and I looked at his cam specs...looking very similar to that wade cam you said coln
but I won't be porting the head as much as he did, the KE70 i'm dropping it in is going to be a peppy cruiser at most.

As I gather parts for the motor I will be asking more questions...
And since It's hard to find anyone's full 5k engine build...Would you guys like me to keep updating and posting build progress as I get this engine together?

19 hours ago, KaboomJohn111 said:

Anyone know if ACL has oversize pistons for a 5k, I'm struggling to find any

ACL piston and the ring plants closed around 4-5 years ago. You'll only find old stock.

Nason and Precision international have oversize piston but both styles they have, do have bowls in them. One is 5-6cc the the other is a 25cc d shape bowl. The ONLY flat top piston that you've ever been able to buy has been the toyota factory piston but even they were near impossible to get here in Aus.

Now I've had a fair bit to do with with parts for Tommy's engine, to get those numbers has been quite difficult. Ive got no idea what the new cam specs are but from what I can gather she's a biggin. Compression is a bit more than 11:1.

On camshafts wade and crow were the only grinders that were interested in doing a hydro grind. The difference in ramp rate on the cam from hydro to solid is huge, you cannot run hydro lifters on a solid cam or vise versa. I do have proof of what it does when you do too. Oh and wade cams no longer operate so your only real option is a solid.

1 hour ago, kickn5k said:

ACL piston and the ring plants closed around 4-5 years ago. You'll only find old stock.

Nason and Precision international have oversize piston but both styles they have, do have bowls in them. One is 5-6cc the the other is a 25cc d shape bowl. The ONLY flat top piston that you've ever been able to buy has been the toyota factory piston but even they were near impossible to get here in Aus.

Now I've had a fair bit to do with with parts for Tommy's engine, to get those numbers has been quite difficult. Ive got no idea what the new cam specs are but from what I can gather she's a biggin. Compression is a bit more than 11:1.

On camshafts wade and crow were the only grinders that were interested in doing a hydro grind. The difference in ramp rate on the cam from hydro to solid is huge, you cannot run hydro lifters on a solid cam or vise versa. I do have proof of what it does when you do too. Oh and wade cams no longer operate so your only real option is a solid.

Do you happen to know what the respective 5k head combustion chamber volumes are for the 6cc and 25cc variants?

My 4k bottom end with 3k head build, had to have the head decked a significant amount to obtain 26cc head combustion chamber.