Raven's Ke25 Corolla Memorial Rebuild - Now Parting Out

Raven

So i'm tipping that 626 was never engineered :jamie:

To think that a simple flat piece of steel is all it takes to make a proper mount. I would hate to be a bolt on the engine side of that mount.

Nice to see some good progress Mick. At least you can look at it now and build it the exact opposite way. :)

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it was a slap together job, that's for sure and no, never engineered. Not even sure if it was even on the road. Maybe Scott can shed some light on that one :jamie:

The wiring is going to be the interesting bit, but shouldnt be too hard to sort out though as I kept the coils together and all the plugs :)

Yeah, it was a slap together job, that's for sure and no, never engineered. Not even sure if it was even on the road. Maybe Scott can shed some light on that one :jamie:

The wiring is going to be the interesting bit, but shouldnt be too hard to sort out though as I kept the coils together and all the plugs :)

The wiring is pretty straight forward. I hate ignition electrics, but I managed to wire it all up right. I did however get an auto elec in afterwards to tidy it all up and check it over.

The starter is still standard, and most of my wiring was just extended to the new locations.

The only wiring that really tested my patience was tapping the dash lights into the existing wiring pin locations in the dash.

Is it an early model Gearbox? Nows the time to bite the bullet and choose what gearbox you think will be strong enough and choose a flywheel and starter to suit. Or are you going to tempt fate and stick with the cast flywheel?

Edited by kangaroosa

So I got the RX-626 today and proceed to pull the 12A and 5 speed from it with the help of my mate..Habib of U'leh.

Good to hear mate. sure looks like a dodge conversion. Will be wild, another rota-rolla in SA!

haha whats deal with the habib part lol

Is this one of scotty's brothers relics? If it is, he didn't sell you a KE1x while you were there?

Yeah it is and no, I don't need another car :jamie:

The wiring is pretty straight forward. I hate ignition electrics, but I managed to wire it all up right. I did however get an auto elec in afterwards to tidy it all up and check it over.

The starter is still standard, and most of my wiring was just extended to the new locations.

The only wiring that really tested my patience was tapping the dash lights into the existing wiring pin locations in the dash.

Is it an early model Gearbox? Nows the time to bite the bullet and choose what gearbox you think will be strong enough and choose a flywheel and starter to suit. Or are you going to tempt fate and stick with the cast flywheel?

Definitely an S1 gearbox. Not sure on physical differences but I don't want to have to hack shifter locations or split the trans tunnel if I don't have to, but by the looks of what you're asking, I may have to take that path anyway....decisions decisions.

Can you shed some light on power handling of the boxes from your experiences so far Daz?

WOW that is so ghetto spec!

I can see why you said you wanted to change it Mick hahaha

Most definitely need to change it. That front mount is far from usable, not to mention the twisted oil cooler on the roof in the pics!

Good to hear mate. sure looks like a dodge conversion. Will be wild, another rota-rolla in SA!

haha whats deal with the habib part lol

Habib is my mate Dom. He's fully sick, henceforth I call him Habib :)

Ghetto Spec is right... Was definately never engineered, never went further than our front paddock and driveway

with the 12a in it. don't worry, my brother has copped shit for that "engine mount" for years...

Did you get through everything Mick? Get any cash for the shell?

Scott.

haha sounds familiar! Should just search your old PM's mate.

>|

Yeah Dejavu :lolcry:

Mick-

I wanted to go overkill from day dot, so i went with a S5T box. I didnt even bother with the earlier boxes as I heard so many bad and not so good stories about they're strength.

I shortened the shifter location on my box like the majority of guys do when they slot them into the earlier RX's. In hindsight I didnt need to as I was reaching for it when shifting. So I recently replaced the gearbox with a std position shifter and its perfect.

Moral of the story is.....don't shorten the shifter. I guess you can say that S1 shifter location may be further forward than you'd hope too.

Edited by kangaroosa

Theres a Gearbox Guide in the tech section on Ausrotary with pics and info.

There is a massive physical size difference between the two. You can fit a S1 box into your car with little or no mods. You've seen what had to be done to my tunnel to squeeze it in.

EDIT - Heres the link

Gearboxes - Tech Reference

Early Gearbox

post-336-1268651385_thumb.jpg

S5 Gearbox

post-336-1268651425_thumb.jpg

Edited by kangaroosa