Ke-30 Heater Leak

Grey - Bags

hey guys

Was cleaning out my corolla the other day and i found my carpet was wet on the passengers side, so i looked up behind the console and the valve where, when you turn the heater on it lets coolant run through, was leaking. So i found a guy with another corolla and replaced the part that was leaking, a day later same problem.

just wondering if any one has had the same problem and how they fixed it

maby i had some bad luck and the part that i got of this guy was leaking too, tho his carpet was fine

bahhh!!

Members dont see this ad
with my old ke20 i just took the heater hoses off at the fire wall then just joined the two holes on the engine togeather with one of the bits of hose so there was no heater at all so i didnt have to worry about it

I did the same on my KE55, except i just used heater hose blockers, which you can buy from any auto parts store.

heater taps and waterpumps can get unsetledwhen you install them second hand (sometimes) its not unusual for a part that was ok to let go after you rip it out drain the fluid let the seals dry out then bang a little presure on it

this is also why you NEVER reuse wheel cyl on your brakes

if you have coolant leaking out of the tap, just put another one in till you get one that holds (check you havent a split in the hose before you go mad changeing stuff over and over)

I have had the same problem with the coolent leaking from the back of the valve.

I wanted to fix mine, because it gets pretty cold down in hobart, and the windows would fog up. Also because of the damp musty carpet smell.

I took my heater out, and took off the piping with the valve, from the heater core.

The valve has a plunger, with a rubber ring around it. Mine had perished, so coolent would pass by it.

Coolent seems to leak out more when the valve was in the off position (cold air); when the plunger stops the hotwater from the water pump. So with the rubber perished, water would pass through it and out the back of the valve, through the plunger rod.

I put a new rubber ring around the plunger, and put some silicon in the joins when I put the valve back together.

Mine stoped leaking for a few months, but then a few weeks ago it was a hot day, and I closed the heater off, then it started to leak coolent again (I can smell it).

I'm going to pull the heater out again, then put a larger thicker rubber ring around the plunger. Then perhaps make it more coolent tight, at the back of the valve, since there isn't much of a seal to stop it leaking.

I'm thinking i might just seal up the valve in its open position with some sort of silicon based sealant, then on the engine side of the firewall just wack some sort of tap or something so i can just turn it on in winter and off in summer.

ill take the part out again and have a close inspection maby run some water through it at pressure to see exactly what my problem is, tho i have no doubt like mentioned earlier its that rubber ring or seal attached to the end of the plundger...it would be a bastard to get off tho.

At least I'm not the only one....

I had my KE70 heater core die a while back, was wondering why my clutch foot was getting hot water on it.. Had to take half the dash apart to get it out and replace it with one my uncle had spare luckily. Heaters are good in winter and when it is raining to demist the window, Apart from that you can just bypass them like everyone else suggested..

Fixed my problem in the end i just decided to jimmy up a new heater tap, just went to repco and got a heater valve for some other car that was similar and just shoved some dishwasher tubing through the fire wall and joinded the two pipes nice cheep fix and shud never leak again.

Thanks for your help guys

Toyota still sell brand new Genuine heater taps. I replaced my leaky one with a genuine item about 4 years ago. They are a bit pricey ($80-$100) but i havent had any drama's, so i guess it was worth what i paid. I'm just the type of person to cut my losses and do it properly the first time, and not root around trying numerous second hand taps in the hope of finding one that will possibly only last another few years anyway.