2tg Into A Ke20?

Jordan

Members dont see this ad
  • 3 weeks later...

Much of the conversion is the same as talked about on my site, for KE55.

If you get a genuine Toyota KE20 set of manuals, I think the 2 different crossmembers (KE and TE) are pictures with all measurements. You won't be able to find a TE crossmember unless in USA or Japan, but you can cut and weld yours to match. Gearbox crossmember may be different. You may have to recut the hole for the gearstick, as I am not sure the K motor was in the centre of the car.

The TE27 runs a brake booster and master cylinder similar to the KE30, with the master cylinder hard up against the strut tower. And they have hydralic clutch for the T 50 box, not cable. Idealy you would get a TE27 pedal box, or did some Aus KE20's have a booster? You will have to work it out. One issue is the sidedrafts coming close to the brake master. It may not be a problem, something to think about.

You may need a different length tailshaft. But maybe you don't, because I did it with a KE30 once without changing this.

Bear in mind, the TE27 Levin/Trueno had a bigger T series (Celica) diff, and disk brakes on the front with a brake booster. Bassicaly the TE27 was the same as a Celica GT only in a KE25 shell with leaf springs.

You will want a TA22 gearbox. A TE72 gearbox will work, but the shifter is further back.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

A KE20 crossmember is not the same as a TE27 crossmember.

Going by the assorted various posts above, it may be possible, I don't have personal experience of that.

If it does fit, it is likely the engine position is not optimal. Having seen a genuine TE27, I can tell you there is very little room to spare once the brake master and carbies are in position.

post-4909-1260658284_thumb.jpg

The top crossmember is TE27, bottom KE20

The angle of the insulator block face is different, and the towers they sit on are from memory, further forward and sit lower. To hard to get out of its current storage site but sure that's right. To do it properly, you will need to reweld the crossmember.

• 1 month later...

is it too hard to mount a booster in a ke20 with a 2t, cause ive got a 20 here with a 3k bigport engine and looking for a engine with a bit more power, and because the 2t came out in the overseas 20's you don't need a mod plate, or so ive been told.

Edited by 19914afc

If you are in Victoria, i can guarantee you need a "mod plate" as the car was not available in Australia with that engine.

I believe this also applies in other states.

You don't have to run a booster. TE27's also came out without a booster. Some people prefer not to have a booster.

I suspect that with a 2T running a single downdraft carb, you would have enough room to fit some sort of booster (TA22?) if desired.

If you are in Victoria, i can guarantee you need a "mod plate" as the car was not available in Australia with that engine.

I believe this also applies in other states.

this may be the case, but I am unsure about QLD as with my old ae92 corolla which had the 1.6 4afc factory, had a 4age put in and because it came out with that engine, from the factory all I had to do was just call QLD transport and change the engine number with the transport dep.