Lowering My Ke55 Coupe

awvg

hay guys ... just doing a little research into lowering my rolla..

the rear shocks are gone so was going to upgrade them when replacing but was wondering if i am going to lower the rear will i need shorter shocks... also what shocks do you guys recomend ...

is it a hard process to do myself swapping shocks and lowering the car all round...

oh and also what set up at the front do you guys also recomend keeping in mind i want to do it properly not dodgy like cutting the springs etc...

Members dont see this ad
hay guys ... just doing a little research into lowering my rolla..

the rear shocks are gone so was going to upgrade them when replacing but was wondering if i am going to lower the rear will i need shorter shocks... also what shocks do you guys recomend ...

is it a hard process to do myself swapping shocks and lowering the car all round...

oh and also what set up at the front do you guys also recomend keeping in mind i want to do it properly not dodgy like cutting the springs etc...

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?s...=lowering+a+car

:y:

don't use an angle grinder to lower coil springs either, the heat generated softens the metal, and they just keep breaking bits off. seen plenty of dunnydores done that way, and ya look in the lower control arms where the springs sit and theres 5-6 lengths of coil that have broken off :y:

you can buy new springs for like $100 or so, just do it properly and ya wont regret it.

you should get shortened shocks when lowering a car, as if you jack up the car, the spring will unload before the shock runs out of travel, and they can cock sideways, or fall out. also if you lower alot without changing shocks, they can bottom out when going over bumps and stuff your shocks

I thin you'll find heating steat makes it harder, but more brittle.

However if steels are left to air cool, they tend to retain much of their initial properties. unless they are air hardening steels like Reynolds 631 or 853.

If quenched (cooled quickley in water, snow or oil) then they become very brittle. but very very hard.

you can then temper the steel by reheating it to a lesser tempreature eg: 300dec C and allowing it to air cool. this tuffens up the steel.

Cheers

jordan

Agree with Jordan on that one. Least I learnt something in my metallurgy course.

PS. ran cut springs for 15 years without any problems, part from being illegal I do not have a problem with cut springs. Also if they fall out when the car is jacked up, zip ties are your friend :n:

Tips for the novice spring cutter:

tip no.1: don't get over zelous, cut 1 coil first, see how it sits, the cut more. you can't put coils back in.

Tip no.2 Use a peice of stiring to measure how much metal has been removed from the first side. With the string trace the other sides coil so they are both even.

Cheers

Jordan