What Grinds My Gears.

Members dont see this ad

Pushing the ke70 in my driveway (not running yet, engine conversion)

Go past a tree, completely forget the drivers door is open, even though i am pushing it from that side...

Bent it back, pulled and stretched the shell where the little metal rod attaches thats ment to stop the door from opening too far, pull the metal out so far that the door opens far enough to hit the front guard, leaving a big curved dent down the whole front side of the door.

I swear i break and dent this thing more when it isnt even running or driving.

Apparently steering and handling must be over-rated.. and I don't mean the rollaclub correction overrated..

Too big, too heavy and not that much of a gain.. Sr or rotary would still smash it

Ls V8s are suprisingly light

weight for weight (after doing a bit of googling) The SR20DE is around 140kg (so add another 20kg+ for turbo, manifolds etc) The LS1 is only around the 180kg mark and stock for stock, makes more power, plus realistically, you've got a similar distribution of weight front to rear (as both are 4cylinders long) BUT the V8 would have a much better side-side weight distribution than something like an SR.

I think its pretty foolish to assume that just because its a V8, that it will mean its a heavy cast iron block etc.

There's really no point to a v8 in a corolla though..

Punchy 4 cylinders will always seem more fun imo, they won't exactly go any harder than say an sr ke70.. because with e85 etc now you can get such insane power figures from engines..

To me a sr ke70 makes sense, a 350 chev dunga 40 yo carby fed cast iron lard in a light nimble car is a stupid idea

depends on your application, lets face it, a KE1/2/3X is not exactly a piece of handling mastery, its weight makes up for a lot, but leaf springs and solid rear arent the pinacles of handling technology.

I'd wager that the SR would definitely give up the ghost before the 350 chev in your average burnout competition, but thats only really one application.

As for the E85 and huge power thing, thats just going to turn into your average dollar per dollar, V8 vs 4cylinder horspower dick swinging discussion, so probably best we leave that alone :D haha

depends on your application, lets face it, a KE1/2/3X is not exactly a piece of handling mastery, its weight makes up for a lot, but leaf springs and solid rear arent the pinacles of handling technology.

I'd wager that the SR would definitely give up the ghost before the 350 chev in your average burnout competition, but thats only really one application.

As for the E85 and huge power thing, thats just going to turn into your average dollar per dollar, V8 vs 4cylinder horspower dick swinging discussion, so probably best we leave that alone :D haha

This is quite random but do you actually have a corolla? or just torona's?

NA power (+ a few cubes) is always more reliable than boosted to live with, especially if your talking a 20+ year old car with a used engine conversion. Boosted and more capacity... now that's interesting.

I like the v8 corolla idea, however if I was putting 180kg in it would be in the form of a 2gr-fe.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Eh.

Hotrods are different. They actually have a kinda decent chassis under them, and it just wouldn't be right having one with a SR or something.

I just don't get the appeal to cut out half your floorpan to fit a 40 year old engine in.. I just don't get the V8 corolla idea..

Plus with the weight thing, it's not just the weight of the engine, the gearbox's are bloody heavy as well.. especially the auto's. You've also got weight in places it didn't before, like hanging over the strut towers.. which could go either way for steering purposes.

Then you'd most likely need custom headers, which are an arm and a leg, per side, which you have fark all clearance for because of pitman arms

Plus it's not just the length/ width of a v8, it's the height! 350's aren't a short engine, so you have weight sitting up the top of the engine bay you didn't before, rasing the centre of gravity.. Or if you drop the motor right down unless you go dry sump (expensive) then you wont be able to lower the car and it'll probably roll or handle like ass anyway..

And what's the outcome? You can do 3rd gear in a burnout pad.. wew, you can't register it properly and the shell will fall to pieces within months, plus you can't work on it because everytime you need to do something you have to pull the engine out of it..

And you'll STILL get beaten by a tough SR or a Decent rotary..

The hotrod idea really isn't relevant..