2zzge Rwd Convert

chrisandliz

Members dont see this ad

I too have considered this option, at this point in time its too exotic to do easily and cheaply, especially when you consider that there is the savage power delivery at 6000rpm, and very little to get excited about before that. Bang for buck its probly the worst conversion out there that you could do. If I was going to the lengths that you would need to go to to pull it off Id much rather have a Beams 3sge. They really arent that heavy, Not a whole much more weight than a 4agte setup would have. I prefer cast iron blocks because of their integrity and ability to deal with temperature extremes without warping.

The reliability issues people speak of have been cooked valves from what I have read, and was a specific problem in the US market, where the base octane level in fuel is 89. Go figure.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

• 2 months later...

ok I have heard of and seen a picture of the mmc coatings peeling off, and when that happens you need to bore the coating out and fit an oversized piston. Oil pumps apparently go after a certin revs and the valves are known to hit pistons when you buzz it a bit much as well. Two out of those three look fixable, as for the oil pump I have no idea.

This is all secondhand information though, I never have personally seen it.

From all sources I've read the Blacktop 4th gen beams motors are all alloy with good factory sleeves, apparently strong enough for 400 hp, the red top beams was a steel block.

But the 2ZZ-GE is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than a 3S-GE. 2ZZ-GE has an alloy block - the 3S-GE/3S-GTE has a cast iron block.

• 1 month later...

2zzge is superior for performance over the 1zzfe even though they're similar capacity. just look at some part comparison pics and specs and you can tell it straight away. 1zzfe if your into economy 8/

show us some proof of an all alloy 3sge.. this i got to see :cool:

also as far as I'm aware.. gen4 is redtop single beams, gen5 is dual beams (altezza)

Edited by AE25

1zz-fe with adaptorplate for r to w bellh. http://www.locost7.info/mirror/1zzfe_adaptor.php

I`ve got a 1,6 vertion of this engine in my 01 corolla (3zz-fe) It feels stronger than specs suggest. Especially 4000+ revs. and can be driven very economically. (below 4000 revs )

I`d stay away from oldest ones though. Some get oil consumption issues , burned rings. Have read its due to cooling galleries??

Toyota extended warranty on them to 7 years. They change the hole block on the ones that get issues

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Craig from Extreme Custom Engineering at Coopers Plains in Brisbane has done a RWD 2ZZ recently. Custom bellhousing, custom mounts, custom exhaust, quad throttles etc

i'm putting a 2zz-ge in my kp61 starlet to rally... do u have any links or a way that i can contact or see craig's work... i live in Barbados in the Caribbean :no2: i'm using a w55 gearbox so i have to modify my bellhousing... but i'm a bit worried now cuz i just found out about this key and transponder stuff, i was planning on using the standard computer cuz it was cheaper. is this something that can be over-ridden?

• 2 years later...