Gavclassic Ke 17 Sl 7k 1800

Gavclassic

Dropped of my KE 17 to have the 7K installed. The shop doing the work is usually busy working on other more exotic and expensive racers. They've already done all the sump clearance measurements so as to get the engine as low down as they can, its also being uprighted a little to give the twin webers more room. They're also building some extractors for it, all of the shelf items are made for smaller capacity engines and are a little small in pipe diameter.

post-834-1206766638_thumb.jpg

post-834-1206766721_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gavclassic

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of racing are you going to do with it Gavclassic? Love that car, looks fantastic!

I ran this car in the NSW Supersprint Series back in 1996, thats what i'll do again. These KE17 's are getting a bit hard to get bits for now so open door to door racing events won't be on the agenda!

These KE17 's are getting a bit hard to get bits for now so open door to door racing events won't be on the agenda!

You're right about that Gav. VERY hard to find anything earlier than KE30 :y:

7K's are they way to go in the KE1X's i reckon, still look original....but with a bit of extra punch :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more pics, one of the 7K the other the engine mount mod to stand the engine a little upright to give the twin webers more room. Once welded in and painted will look factory. Also sent template of to the laser cutter to have a new exhaust flange made to suit the 1800. Unfortunatly all " of the shelf " extractors are only 1,3/8" in pipe diameter, the 1800 needs at least 1,1/5" pipe diameter so its a hand built set thats being made. I'll post more progress pics ASAP.

post-834-1207739668_thumb.jpg

post-834-1207739784_thumb.jpg

Hey Gav, looking sweet. Is there a lot of modifying required to to get that 7K in, do you need deep pockets to get a shop to fit it?? Would love one of them in my KE10, but unless its plug & play, I can't do much myself.

Also, I'm borrowing your side stripes design for my KE10 (red stripes on white car), hope you don't mind?

Hey Gav, looking sweet. Is there a lot of modifying required to to get that 7K in, do you need deep pockets to get a shop to fit it?? Would love one of them in my KE10, but unless its plug & play, I can't do much myself.

Also, I'm borrowing your side stripes design for my KE10 (red stripes on white car), hope you don't mind?

It could be done by just modifying the sump and using standard carbs and of the normal extractors at home in you own garage. The fact that i wanted to get the most HP out of the motor meant we needed to give the webers more room to breath, hence fabricationg an enging mount to upright the motor and to get all the gas out quick also means hand fabricated extractors and exhaust all mandrel bend of course. Cost so far have been about $4000 for the 7K engine and rebuild, $1000 for the twin webers and a rebuild. The extractors and exhaust will be about $2500 and there's still more to go. But thats just the way i do things, never by half measures!!!!!!!!!!! :)